1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Today's Gibson Zoom meeting with dealers

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 58flame, Jul 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HERSCHEL

HERSCHEL Member

Very much so. Leo had no concept of quality control until he brought Forrest White on board.

crazyboutguitars likes this.
  2. AprioriMark

AprioriMark Silver Supporting Member

Since this thread is without substance, I will add my blathering to it. I had a thought about Gibson related to people complaining about them at every opportunity. It's a bit crass, so my apologies to the easily offended.

Playing a Gibson is like having a sexual relationship with a super hot partner who's a bit crazy. You know it's not perfect, and that certain aspects (if not handled with care) could crash and burn. And it's not just about the sex itself; it's also about all those dynamic feelings that other partners don't give you. It inspires you and makes life feel more fulfilling. It's living art.

That's how playing a Gibson can feel. Logically, I can break down the issues and money spent, but no other guitar gets me excited in the same ways, so it's all worth it. To take this to its concludion, people angrily railing at the company are surely terrible in bed. I definitely don't think about the CEOs, quality control, or lawsuits when I'm playing my Les Paul. I'm also not thinking about the struggles when I'm with an amazing woman. I'm enjoying living life; leave your name and your number at the beep, problems. I don't understand people who don't grab joy by the fun bags.

-Mark

hotrats73, spinifex, stratadp and 9 others like this.
  3. Thesleepstalker

Thesleepstalker Member

High five! Some people will never experience that joy.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  4. Technica

Technica Member

Indeed, did I also commit a Gibson no-no again by doing so? What’s wrong with that?

RigbyMortis likes this.
  5. Thesleepstalker

Thesleepstalker Member

Nothing at all.

6. Thesleepstalker

Thesleepstalker Member

I'm not sure Gibson has any honor to defend. Some of us would just like this senseless bashing to end.

7. Technica

Technica Member

I understand what you’re saying and agree with much of it. I’ll also say again that I’ve purchased many Gibsons and I currently own three Les Pauls and three Explorers, all purchased new. The Gibson quality issue has always been a bit of a polarizing issue, and I think having owned over 20 Gibson guitars I have a pretty good understanding of their quality. No doubt about it, I love my Gibsons and I’ll always own a few.

But I also keep one thing in mind; that there have been many, many well-documented, flagrant quality issues with new guitars and those guitars are inspected and sent down the line in production and approved for shipping. Some people say “but Gibson guitars are hand-made and that’s why no two are exactly alike. It’s what gives them all unique character.” I guess, but all guitars are hand-made, and Gibson guitars have the same amount of machine work that goes into them as most others.

I’ll also bring PRS into this and say that they are a company producing guitars in the same top-tier category as Gibson, but their quality reputation is far, far different. I’m not saying all guitars should be absolutely perfect under a microscope, however many of the quality issues I have personally observed with Gibson guitars go far above simple, small cosmetic issues. And every guitar with those serious flaws is getting an approval from their inspectors.

If Gibson didn’t have known quality control problems, they would not have recently made a big deal about re-training manufacturing personnel to increase quality.

8. 54GT

54GT Silver Supporting Member

And you know this based on what extensive research or experience?

The lack of consistency on Gibson's part seems pretty widespread based on people who talk about their experience. And I say this as someone who's got a bunch. As I said, it's a tradeoff I've decided worth making, but I am not ignoring the reality.

And spare the ad hominem comments. They just further undermine your credibility.

HERSCHEL likes this.
  9. aynirar27

aynirar27 Notable Member Gold Supporting Member

yea, this thread is a little embarrassing, Even for TGP standards.

AprioriMark likes this.
  10. Thesleepstalker

Thesleepstalker Member

I haven't made any ad hominem comments. TGP is where most lack of quality comes up. Your research is a little suspect as well.

11. 54GT

54GT Silver Supporting Member

Not remotely true, on either count. Lots of comments in lots of places about Gibson consistency, and what was your "techs glad to see people come in the door" comment if not a personal insult.

12. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

As a fellow Canadian, in Alberta, I’ve found no use for most jackets. It’s basically Parka for 6 months then t shirt for 6 months.

I see people in California and Texas wearing hoodies and can’t comprehend how uncomfortable that must be.

Angeln likes this.
  13. Thesleepstalker

Thesleepstalker Member

That is an honest assessment. It was not a personal attack on anyone. Most of the quality complaints about Gibson are about frets and nuts even though they are Plekked. It's really strange. I guess what I'm saying is that it's beyond remotely true.

14. AprioriMark

AprioriMark Silver Supporting Member

I completely agree. I've had my issues with Gibson QC, and definitely are not my only guitars that get played to death. PRS, Suhr, etc... those folks are QC ninjas. I keep hoping that one of those guitars will replace that hole in my heart that only a Gibson LP seems to fill. In the meantime, I try to survive with my horribly inferior instruments~

-Mark

Lt Dak, Technica and Thesleepstalker like this.
  15. jvin248

jvin248 Member

They have minions reading the forums.
    Perhaps they gain some insight to build better and market better.

Regular forum members are influencers, both positive and negative -- the voice of the customer.
    Customers who have a handful to dozens of friends who do not participate on forums. So when those friends ask "hey, what guitar should I buy?" at some family get together or friends meeting up (even in these times) the forum members have more insight to advise than the general population of guitar players.

For the smart brands/factories the forums are the canary in the coal mine.

If forum members are concerned about fragile headstocks or wacky marketing schemes there is a real problem in the coal mine and a change in direction is likely a good plan before the general guitar buyer finds out there is a problem.

Lt Dak likes this.
  16. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

Every time I pick up one of my guitars, I’m in heaven. Mostly because I spent a long time looking for the best matches for me I could find.

All this other **** mostly just comes up when I’m thinking of buying another one. F’n stressful process that is. Finding the right one is so unnecessarily hard. But once you do it’s heaven. I’ve said it many times, there’s really no better guitar to me than a really great Les Paul. It’s the pinnacle IMHO.

The piece that’s a real frustration is that they market to people like me on authenticity and tradition - and we love those things - then they build the vast majority of their guitars using methods that are not traditional or “authentic” regarding being true to the originals. No. To get one of those you must go Custom and it’s going to cost you. To me that’s the biggest bone I have to pick really.

AprioriMark likes this.
  17. Thesleepstalker

Thesleepstalker Member

Any decent canary would have died from the smell in here long ago.

disconnector likes this.
  18. Surfreak

Surfreak Member

I was looking for what bothers me about this thread. Proselytising, that is.

Gibson bashers who are on a mission to convince you that Gibson is nothing but overpriced garbage, Gibson fans who get incensed if you are not a fan.

I have owned about 15 different Gibson guitars, among which a R9, R8, a pre-historic, a ‘57 Jr, a ‘59 ES330, a L50, a Firebird, a tie dye Standard and a few others.

I did my homework, played them all before when I could, and asked as much info as reasonably possible when I could not.

Some of these I kept, others I sold.

To me they are great guitars, and don’t really care if you love or hate the brand, nor I will try and convince you one way or the other.

I don’t hold universal truths, I don’t want to be a zealot, I just think that all guitars are generally overpriced but they are all beautiful.

Lt Dak likes this.
  19. aynirar27

aynirar27 Notable Member Gold Supporting Member

when I visited Los Angeles it was the mid 60s outside and restaurants asked me if I wanted heaters outside while I ate. They were a little shocked I wanted to actually be outside in such weather

20. Technica

Technica Member

The Plek machine does not automatically produce perfect fret work. It will not correct production issues such as sloppy filing of the fret ends. I think much of the complaints seen about Gibson’s fret work are mostly about cosmetic issues rather than playability. I also think that after the guitar leaves the controlled environment of the factory and is exposed to temperature and humidity changes during shipping and warehousing, the neck could require adjustment by the time the customer receives the guitar, which is of course not Gibson’s fault. I will add that the nut on my 2010 Explorer was definitely cut too low from the factory, to the point where the B string fretted out on the first fret when played open. Not a big deal to fix though.

I have personally not had any Gibson with playability issues (other than the Explorer’s nut) , but I also know how to completely and perfectly set up my guitars. But from an aesthetic point of view I’ve seen some pretty poor workmanship on necks with very visible file marks on the fretboard and very sloppy filing of the binding around the frets.

rizla and Magnets And Melodies like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.