Today's Gibson Zoom meeting with dealers

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 58flame, Jul 30, 2020 at 6:24 PM.

1. Technica

Technica Member

The Plek machine does not automatically produce perfect fret work. It will not correct production issues such as sloppy filing of the fret ends. I think much of the complaints seen about Gibson’s fret work are mostly about cosmetic issues rather than playability. I also think that after the guitar leaves the controlled environment of the factory and is exposed to temperature and humidity changes during shipping and warehousing, the neck could require adjustment by the time the customer receives the guitar, which is of course not Gibson’s fault. I will add that the nut on my 2010 Explorer was definitely cut too low from the factory, to the point where the B string fretted out on the first fret when played open. Not a big deal to fix though.

I have personally not had any Gibson with playability issues (other than the Explorer’s nut) , but I also know how to completely and perfectly set up my guitars. But from an aesthetic point of view I’ve seen some pretty poor workmanship on necks with very visible file marks on the fretboard and very sloppy filing of the binding around the frets.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 9:40 PM
    rizla and Magnets And Melodies like this.
  2. Steadfastly

Steadfastly Member

Gibson: "We keep losing market share to our competitors despite making the Epiphone look for like a Gibson. What can we do to plug the hole in the dam?"

Dealers: "Stop paying yourselves so much, work on the quality, treat your workers with respect, stop suing the competition and making yourselves look like bullies. Oh, and make your prices competitive and stop trying to make the public think that the Gibson product is somehow a magic stick compared to our competitors. It's not very smart thinking that the buying public can't see through those smoke and mirrors."

3. CassetteTape

CassetteTape Member

2 years ago I owned $30k worth of Gibson Les Pauls and was as big of a fan as anyone. Today I own zero Les Pauls and zero Gibsons.
    Moving onto better made guitars from companies who aren't bullies was such a revelation, I don't know what took me so long.

You can complain about people having strong opinions toward Gibson, but many of those opinions are rooted in bad experiences we've had with them, first hand. They are not unfounded and the Gibson stereotype didn't appear out of thin air. It's based on reality and they earned their reputation.

But I'm going to try to move on to things that make me happy, rather than things that annoy me. Cheers.

Steadfastly, Davy and rizla like this.
  4. Thesleepstalker

Thesleepstalker Member

The Plek machine is the best thing to happen to manufacturing. Yes, it automatically produces perfect fretwork. It also cuts the nut slots. I told someone in another thread that I had file marks, but after looking, I don't. I did find a chatter mark on the binding, but you need an eye loupe to see it. The same with the nibs. You have to pay a lot of money for microscopic perfection. I've never had one fret issue with Gibson.

5. 3940bigdaddy

3940bigdaddy Supporting Member

Great. As long he don’t start to wear tan pants.

6. LaXu

LaXu Member

I checked some 2016 and 2017 Les Pauls around that time and I also saw a lot of file marks etc on the fretboard, nut etc. But the odd thing was that the frets on several looked like they were flat on top rather than actually crowned so that the flat part is just a tiny sliver. Surely the Plek machine should do that right?

Technica likes this.
  7. Castlebreath

Castlebreath Member

All my Gibson’s are pre 67. I rarely even glance at new ones. Plus I just don’t care for the play authentic, sue everyone Marc Agnesi vibe of that company now. Over priced super heavy guitars inconsistent as the day is long.

CassetteTape likes this.
  8. Dr Bonkers

Dr Bonkers Vendor

Under pristine storage and playing conditions, I had the fret board shrink on my 2008 Dusk Tiger after owning and playing it for 11 years and the pickups started to lose output.

I called Gibson. I was told these things naturally happen over time and it wasn't a warranty repair. I told them that I had a 70s Gibson with no such issues and other brand guitars that had no such issues.

I then asked if I could get a couple of their connectors for the pickups, so that I could at least replace them easily without compromising the Disk Tiger electronics (the whole selling point of the guitar). I was told no.

I ended up trading it in at Guitar Center and buying inauthentic. That guitar puts to shame any Gibson USA standard that I played in the last 5 years for a fraction of the price.

JC and Agnesi should be ashamed.

9. Declassified

Declassified Member

I have to agree with you, my sample size is 3 Gibsons, after a basic set up there have no problems or issues and I live in Ottawa, which dry as hell during the winter and humid as hell during the summer.

Thesleepstalker likes this.
  10. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Silver Supporting Member

Prepare the EMP!

Oh, you are so wrong. Look at the page/post count. The numbers are terrific. Posts like you've never seen.
    Odd response.
    I've seen new Gibsons where I suspect the guitar was placed on, or simply near the Plek machine, not necessarily IN it. There's no other explanation for the fretwork I saw.
    Just because they have a magic glass refrigerator at the Gibson factory in no way guarantees all those guitars leave the factory with "perfect" fretwork. You need to make a guitar without compromising issues to begin with, then have a good technician run the guitar through the Plek, and an inspection before the guitar leaves.
    My personal peeves with Gibson production are crooked machine heads and orange peel finish.

11. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Why would you care unless you had some skin in the game? Who appointed you White Knight of Gibson Guitars? The bashing (I see it mostly as just cracking jokes at their expense) deservedly comes from poor business practices that not only set them up for the scrutiny but encourages it using bullying tactics and relying on name brand to deliver a product that is simultaneously subpar and overpriced. They deserve to be called out, and this is coming from a Gibson owner and someone who really beloved only the Gibson's were good enough many years ago.

CassetteTape likes this.
  12. Thesleepstalker

Thesleepstalker Member

Apparently you have to invest $30,000 before you start finding the bad ones.

Tiger Ted likes this.
  13. Tiger Ted

Tiger Ted Supporting Member

Let me elaborate. Whether or not it continues to exist, this thread is "done". Much like a beef roast, you can cook it until it is done and then leave it out in the open for 3 weeks. It is still done but will begin to decompose. Thus, it becomes garbage after a certain point.

Tone_Terrific likes this.
  14. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Gold Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    :spit

15. Thesleepstalker

Thesleepstalker Member

I have way less Gibsons than the bashers apparently, and only one model so I have zero skin in this. I just happen to disagree with the bashers.

16. Thesleepstalker

Thesleepstalker Member

There will be many more threads. It's been going on for quite a while. Some people are only happy when they're bashing.

Tiger Ted likes this.
  17. Tiger Ted

Tiger Ted Supporting Member

Yeah, I meant this particular one. But of course, you're right. We could start a betting pool on how what date will the next one emerge. We may have to make it what hour and minute of the day to pin things down better. I've only recently returned to posting here so maybe people will love me more if I start a Gibson bashing post every day. I think I'd sound real smart and savvy if I did that.

Thesleepstalker likes this.
  18. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

You can certainly disagree but is it worth the energy to respond to everything? I see you on every Gibson thread with the same arguments. Just think of the all the good things you could have accomplished with all of that energy. I don't know, it's your time, spend it as you see fit, i just don't see the point just because you disagree.

Davy likes this.
  19. Thesleepstalker

Thesleepstalker Member

Mostly because I get quoted. Everybody has the same arguments. Over and over.

Steadfastly likes this.
  20. Mark L

Mark L Member

I'm a Gibson guy (not that I don't also love my Fenders, etc.) and have a bunch of 'em, although my most recent one is over 20 years old. I hope they can right the ship, and it would be nice to see them build a strong track record of every instrument leaving the factory (not just "custom" instruments) being well made. If they can't or won't do that, perhaps they should consider a variation on one of their old slogans... "Only a Gibson is Sometimes Good Enough."