Today's Stupid Deal of the Day - not too shabby

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Mike9, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

With a little work and a few upgrades this could be a real work horse - And it's a blank canvas for the artistic tweaker.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid?src=3NL7AIA&c_lid=e1

[​IMG]

Well I just received my order confirmation and looks like I'm getting a T-shirt and a Fender standard gig-bag free - now we're talkin' -

2. Drew68

Drew68 Supporting Member

A great beginner guitar. I'm really amazed at the quality of many of today's sub $300 instruments. Far superior to the plywood Hondo II boat anchors I started playing on.

3. 5E3

5E3 Member

Pretty cool for $150. :AOK

Might be a fun project guitar if you are unhappy with any of the bits.

4. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

I've rebuilt many Squiers and they ended up as excellent playing and sounding guitars.

The bodies and necks are often quite good and I like the neck profile. Even the tuners are passable, but the trem, electronics and nut are a must to replace. A fret dressing, new nut, pickups, pots, switch - OK - maybe some locking tuners and it becomes a great axe.

5. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

There was a time, not THAT long ago when that style of guitar was a 'superstrat' and sold for 10x+.....a fret dress and good pups may have been included:D

6. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

If ONLY squier would just change their neck width to 1 and 11/16... I can't deal with the narrow nuts on them.

That's the only thing that's held me back from buying one as a backup guitar.

7. MuseCafeChris

MuseCafeChris Senior Member

Boy isn't that the truth.

8. Drew68

Drew68 Supporting Member

Actually, it makes good business sense. Look at Squier's demographics. They are marketed towards young teenagers and preteens who are just starting out.

My brother is a sixth grade teacher and he tells me that about half the boys in his class are crazy about electric guitars. He's constantly making them put away their MF catalogs and Guitar World magazines. Many of these kids are too big for a 3/4 guitar but not big enough to grasp full size necks. Squiers fit them perfectly. And they look cool. The prices aren't so outrageous that their folks are out a bunch of money if the thing winds up buried in the closet.

This makes me wonder. Can you fit a Fender neck into a Squier neck pocket? Would this be unethical? The model in the OP would be a much cooler guitar with a beefier Fender neck and higher quality aftermarket parts.

9. JoeYello

JoeYello Member

I'm a 6th grader about 41 times removed and now my boss tells me to put away the MF catalogs and Guitar World magazines!

10. Drew68

Drew68 Supporting Member

I'd have that problem as well except one of our higher-up officers in my chain of command is a guitar nut himself. I was called into his office. I was sweating and everyone thought I was in trouble. Turned out he just wanted to pick my brain about what kind of Les Paul he should get.

Whew!

11. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Modern Squiers have the standard 2-3/16" neck pocket. Some of the old MIK ones had a 2-1/4" pocket, but all the newer ones are standard spec.