• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Todd Rundgren...Just Got Tickets

The NightHawk

Been a Todd fan going back to 1970 or so, and don't notice him mentioned very often on TGP. I loved his early stuff. Nazz, and the first 5 or 6 solo records. Then when he started doing live shows with backing tracks, and the Utopia era kinda jaded me on him for a while. Over the years though he has amassed an impressive body of work, not just his own recordings, but also as a Producer of many quality albums for other bands.
I've seen him 5-6 times and met him once after a show, and tonight I purchased tickets for his show in March. In my opinion his skills as a songwriter, singer, producer/engineer, multi-instrumentalist....all of superior caliber, rank him in the Top Ten of rock musicians of his era. He's been at it for going on 50 years, and is still going pretty strong. I'm curious to hear the opinions of others......

Rumblefish

Silver Supporting Member
Todd is a true genius. That's an overused word around here,but just look him up on Wiki and see all of the firsts he's accomplished along with just amazing music.:bow

Ringo

Silver Supporting Member
I saw Todd Rundgren once in the mid to late 70s, he came out and played alone for about an hour then brought out the full band and played for another hour, it was a great show.
Not too familiar with anything he has done lately but he is a really talented guy.

Peppy

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/1384004

Today, 10:49 AM
Peppy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Something/Anything?-Todd Rundgren.
First three sides all songs written and produced by Todd.
All instruments and voices performed by Todd.
Fourth side live in the studio and done as a pseudo-pop operetta.
He was all of 23 at the time.

PaulE

Silver Supporting Member
Very underrated singer also. He used to often play at an 800 seater a few miles from me and i'd go see him solo or with Utopia all the time.
The way he could play and sing blew me away - he tends to play very strange voicings on the guitar.
If you haven't seen the Live at daryls houe episode taped at Todds place in Hawaii check it out my favorite episode.

ce24fan

Silver Supporting Member
Been a Todd fan going back to 1970 or so, and don't notice him mentioned very often on TGP. I loved his early stuff. Nazz, and the first 5 or 6 solo records. Then when he started doing live shows with backing tracks, and the Utopia era kinda jaded me on him for a while. Over the years though he has amassed an impressive body of work, not just his own recordings, but also as a Producer of many quality albums for other bands.
I've seen him 5-6 times and met him once after a show, and tonight I purchased tickets for his show in March. In my opinion his skills as a songwriter, singer, producer/engineer, multi-instrumentalist....all of superior caliber, rank him in the Top Ten of rock musicians of his era. He's been at it for going on 50 years, and is still going pretty strong. I'm curious to hear the opinions of others......

lucky!!!!! unfortunately the only time i've seen him was with Ringo Starr's all star band. awesome, talented musician!

Rick N Boogie

I've been a fan since the 70's, seen him live more times than I can count, and still think of him as a one of a kind. The Acapella tour in '85 was amazing, 11 piece choir to back him up, no instruments of any kind. Then by himself in the early 90's doing TR-I. But my favorite era was the brief period of TR's Utopia, the prog band, not the proggish 4 pc Utopia that followed, with some success. Seriously overlooked body of work, from the masses.

JCW308

Silver Supporting Member
He's coming to my neighborhood soon, too (Sellersville Theatre in PA)

Tom CT

Old Supporting Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Very underrated singer also.
I really wish people would stop saying "underrated" when they mean "not widely-known" or "under-appreciated". I can't think of a single instance where someone has slagged Todd's singing. He's extremely highly-rated, in fact.

No offense, Paul. I know what you meant. :aok

Lone Bear

I saw him in a bar with Ian Hunter in Cleveland doing a benefit for some Presidential candidate named Anderson in the late 70s. The band was Todd, Utopia, Ian and Mick Ronson. Fun show.

chrisr777

I saw Utopia at the Greek and it was a fantastic show. Drums shaped like a motorcycle. Amazing musicianship all around. Then a couple of years later I was going to see them again at a place in Reseda called the Country Club. A nice small venue where I saw quite a few big names. While we were waiting to go in it was announced that Utopia had a "disagreement" so they would not be playing. We were given the choice of a refund or going in to see Todd by himself with the backing tracks. Having nothing better to do and the fact that tickets were only like ten bucks, we went in. Great show. Place was about two thirds empty and Todd was funny as hell acting like it was a packed house. I'm planning to see him with Ringo later this year.

claudel

Silver Supporting Member
One of the more fun shows I've ever been to was Todd and a Powerbook in front of a sparse crowd @Palookaville in Santa Cruz.

Poor guy had a wretched time getting the thing to run the way he wanted to, it kept crashing on him, and he'd reboot it in between songs.

Thing is, instead of freaking out himself and the audience, he went with it and turned it into a fun evening for all.

Just another night at work for the extremely talented...

I've seen Todd with Utopia in a stadium (with Willie Wilcox on the drumkit built on the motorcycle frame) and later on opening for the Tubes on the Love Bomb tour, and again when they reformed recently opening for Todd's "A Wizard a True Star" tour.

The reformed version was Todd, Roger and Kasim with Prairie Prince (from the Tubes) on drums since Willie is a producer for CNN I think and does soundtracks now.

Every time he's been memorable and enjoyable. I got to meet Todd once, since my real name is Todd and I had a friend with me named Todd it was kind of unusual but Todd thought it was amusing. "Hi Todd, nice to meet you. I am Todd and this is also Todd" and he took all three of our hands and put them together and said "it's the terrible Todd triune!" Hilarity ensued.

DøøG

Saw him a bunch of times, been a fan since the Nazz. Last time I saw him was with the 4 pc band, Kaz, Jesse Gress & Mike Urbano (Bourgeoius Tagg). In NYC at the Gramercy Theater, rockin!!!

jman

Silver Supporting Member
aside from his playing/singing/etc skills,he has come up with some pretty unbelievable songs...love it.

ksandvik

His songwriting skills, harmonies and how to put together melodies on top of any kind of chords arrangements it out-of-this world.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom