• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Todd Sharp Joat 20 Rt

J D Miley

Gold Supporting Member
I just thought I would post something about my Todd Sharp JOAT 20 RT I have now for a little over 10 months .
For about 20 years, my main amps were a couple of Samson era Matchless C30's and a 1966 Fender Deluxe Reverb. After many years of trying all kinds of High end Tube amps such as :Bruno, Dr Z, D-13 FTR 37, Two Rock Classic , Jim Kelley, and even a Reeves Space Cowboy . I ended up with the Todd Sharp JOAT 20 RT. All those other amps, I did not keep for very long at all.
Now days I just have two rigs : A Kemper (Ran either Direct FOH or Powered through a Fryette PS-2 or Both ) and the Todd Sharp JOAT 20 with a really well equipped pedal board.
My description of the JOAT 20 RT : It has a Bigger , Thicker sound than a DR Z Maz 18 , Matchless C 30 and Fender . Not quite as loud as the C 30, but real close ! Has a wonderful chime for those jangly chords. The sound is very percussive and though it takes OD/dist pedals as good or better than both my Fender and Matchless C 30 amps, It makes me very tempted to play with out them as the clean sound sings and just jumps out atcha !
Another description : Across between a really good Vox and a black face fender. The low end holds together better and the touch sensitivity /picking dynamics are awesome ! This is the biggest, clear , clean to driven 20 watts to be had IMHO . Even using serious drive pedals, it cleans up really well just backing off the guitar knob. The Todd at 1:00 with an Ethos TWE-1 .. . mercy ! Then a really good Tube Reverb and tremolo is just icing on the cake ! Hands down , The Todd Sharp JOAT 20 replaced my Matchless C 30 amps in all the good ways. Hard to believe this much sound coming from a pair of EL84's . One thing I have only done once or twice playing with a really loud blues rock band , I did slave the Todd into my PS-2 & extra 2/12 cab at a couple of out side gigs. WOW ! Same great sound only L O U D E R ! I will also say that the Matching Cherry Cab is not just for looks , that cab resonates in a very pleasing way and match's with the JOAT wonderfully. Though I occasionally run it with "two" celestion Blues . most of the time I have it loaded with One Blue and One 20watt Heritage Green back as it seems to make my High Gain OD/Dist pedals shine a little better for the 80's rock and Hendrix /SRV Blues. When I need a little more clean headroom, I use both the Blues. Another thing I do , rather than putting the other Blue in it, I occasionally slave the Todd into the PS-2 and another 2/12 when I just have to be R E A L L Y L O U D !! When i do this , not even the Best 60s Fender TWIN can touch it as far as beautiful clean sound with depth. But , still can go into pushed clean to driven touch sensitive tone. In 90% situations , the Todd Sharp JOAT 20 RT is plenty loud enough with just the right headroom to cover most gigs and it sounds huge !
The Wind Cries Mary, Sultans of Swing through this amp will make you drool ! Add the TWE-1 or really nice OD pedal . . .and all the Warren Haynes /Billy Gibbons tones you need . Pretty much any music other than big heavy Death Metal , this amp will do. Coupled the right distortion pedal it might even do that really well. That one really difficult sound of when an amp goes from really clean into Pushed clean to driven is where this amp really shines above others . You literally can hear your flesh brush across the strings when you pick with your fingers and hear a bit more difference from a thinner to thicker guitar pick. A more noticeable difference from Bridge to Neck Position on the guitar as well . All these things are a bit more noticeable on the Todd than some other amps I have played. I Never really liked how a Strat sounded with my 1996 Matchless C 30's amps (that I sold when i got the Todd ). The Todd sounds really good with anything you plug into it. Just a little extra sensitivity .
I am currently using the Todd Sharp with three Tribute bands .. The Pretenders, The Doors. The Police. Get nothing but compliments about my sound from all involved.
I still play a Kemper about 1/2 the time for convenience for some of my basic gigs and fill in gigs, but when I want real organic sound and feel with a dash of Lushessness The Todd is just yummy and then some !

Last edited:

ItJustRocks

Platinum Supporting Member
Pretty sweet rig. I have been really interested in the JOAT, but haven't heard a clip that totally made me say "yes!" Does it stay clean for a while? And when it crunches is there some oomph and saturation?

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
Those amps look awesome and it’s truly refreshing to see a review come after 10 months considering how quickly things around here shift.

J D Miley

Gold Supporting Member
Pretty sweet rig. I have been really interested in the JOAT, but haven't heard a clip that totally made me say "yes!" Does it stay clean for a while? And when it crunches is there some oomph and saturation?
The Todd Sharp does not have a much Saturation as say the MKII Dr Z MaZ It is more of a smoother overdrive but with some bite. It stays louder and cleaner than a DR Z MAZ 18 and basically will swallow a DR Z Maz 18 whole .. Just a bigger fuller punchier sound. I set to Todd at about 11:30 to 12:00 with the Attitude in the Noon position with the SD lil 59 in my tele and an RC Booster adding a little push is starts going into a pushed / slightly driven sound then add in a Cali76 deluxe compressor , it is a really loud big punchy CLEAN with sustain . very close to a Matchless C 30 in headroom and volume ! It will keep right up with a Suhr Bella , but sound a bit thicker. It is hard to explain ,, take a VOX AC 15 but with more volume and head room then add some black Face girth but with better low end that holds together with out farting out then add a tad more percussiveness and picking dynamics .. Yes , it is the loudest 20watts of clean head room I have ever heard ! With the attitude switch up all the way it starts to drive a lot more. Not quite Billy Gibbons Rythameen , you will need a drive pedal for that. set up to around 2:00 and a Timmy pedal , You can rock out with some saturated ovderive and it is L O U D .. Noticeably more so than any other 20 watt amp I have every played though It is as loud and stays cleaner than a Bruno underground 30 ! No contest !

J D Miley

Gold Supporting Member
Those amps look awesome and it’s truly refreshing to see a review come after 10 months considering how quickly things around here shift.
I got the Todd Sharp as a replacement for my Matchless amps. The few gripes I had about the Matchless C 30 = Mid range was always a little too dominant and at live drummer volume the low end just does not hold together very well. The Todd has the Mids & Sparkle like the Matchless, but has much better lows . It is hard to put into words. It is just better than a Dr Z Maz 18 or Matchless C 30 or Vox AC . I never liked how a Strat sounded through a Matchless. The Todd is one of the better amps to use with a SRAT, however , it behaves about the same as a DR Z or Matchless with P90s or Humbuckers ( with just minor adjustments ) It has some traits of all those amps but just sounds and feels more than just a little bit better than all of them . Using my usually pedals with the Todd JOAT 20 RT >> Compressor, RC Booster (or Vertex Boost) and three different drive pedals and Delay and Chorus . . . I like the Todd a lot better . The Todd Sharp is the one that finally weened me off my Samson Era Matchless C30's after 20 years where all others could not !
Though I am dabbling with some more High Tech stuff to play heavier modern rock music , the Todd Sharp is my strait up , one channel, all tube ORGANIC as can be amp.
Imagine a DR Z, Matchless C 30 , or Vox , only with More ASS and sweetness ! I also agree , very few videos I have seen does not do this amp justice. Most people who get these , keep them. I have only seen one or two for sale and those were the 1/12 combo version.

Last edited:

Surfguitar

Before you guys bought your Joat 20 did you play thru it first? I'm looking for a
new Amp and none of our local music stores have those Amps. How are they
in a band does it cut thru and I would like to try one first.

dbeeman

Platinum Supporting Member
Before you guys bought your Joat 20 did you play thru it first? I'm looking for a
Sits in a band mix great.

Call Todd and talk to him. He is a decent fellow.

J D Miley

Gold Supporting Member
NO, I just watched Lance Keltner's Video and Todd offered a Money Back deal if I did not like it . For a louder , more saturated driven tone when cranked, I would suggest getting the 45 watt version with EL34's as it will go into the Marshall territory .

J D Miley

Gold Supporting Member
Only gear situation I am pondering lately, after this last year using a Kemper, I am just liking cranked amp profiles more than I like using pedals with a clean amp . I think I need to find a really good High gain pedal for getting a more full on saturated distortion sound. My Ethos TWE -1 gets one of the best Cranked amp sounds, it does not quite do the Modded High Gain Marshall thing .

Last edited:

macmax77

Silver Supporting Member
I just thought I would post something about my Todd Sharp JOAT 20 RT I have now for a little over 10 months .
For about 20 years, my main amps were a couple of Samson era Matchless C30's and a 1966 Fender Deluxe Reverb. After many years of trying all kinds of High end Tube amps such as :Bruno, Dr Z, D-13 FTR 37, Two Rock Classic , Jim Kelley, and even a Reeves Space Cowboy . I ended up with the Todd Sharp JOAT 20 RT. All those other amps, I did not keep for very long at all.
Now days I just have two rigs : A Kemper (Ran either Direct FOH or Powered through a Fryette PS-2 or Both ) and the Todd Sharp JOAT 20 with a really well equipped pedal board.
My description of the JOAT 20 RT : It has a Bigger , Thicker sound than a DR Z Maz 18 , Matchless C 30 and Fender . Not quite as loud as the C 30, but real close ! Has a wonderful chime for those jangly chords. The sound is very percussive and though it takes OD/dist pedals as good or better than both my Fender and Matchless C 30 amps, It makes me very tempted to play with out them as the clean sound sings and just jumps out atcha !
Another description : Across between a really good Vox and a black face fender. The low end holds together better and the touch sensitivity /picking dynamics are awesome ! This is the biggest, clear , clean to driven 20 watts to be had IMHO . Even using serious drive pedals, it cleans up really well just backing off the guitar knob. The Todd at 1:00 with an Ethos TWE-1 .. . mercy ! Then a really good Tube Reverb and tremolo is just icing on the cake ! Hands down , The Todd Sharp JOAT 20 replaced my Matchless C 30 amps in all the good ways. Hard to believe this much sound coming from a pair of EL84's . One thing I have only done once or twice playing with a really loud blues rock band , I did slave the Todd into my PS-2 & extra 2/12 cab at a couple of out side gigs. WOW ! Same great sound only L O U D E R ! I will also say that the Matching Cherry Cab is not just for looks , that cab resonates in a very pleasing way and match's with the JOAT wonderfully. Though I occasionally run it with "two" celestion Blues . most of the time I have it loaded with One Blue and One 20watt Heritage Green back as it seems to make my High Gain OD/Dist pedals shine a little better for the 80's rock and Hendrix /SRV Blues. When I need a little more clean headroom, I use both the Blues. Another thing I do , rather than putting the other Blue in it, I occasionally slave the Todd into the PS-2 and another 2/12 when I just have to be R E A L L Y L O U D !! When i do this , not even the Best 60s Fender TWIN can touch it as far as beautiful clean sound with depth. But , still can go into pushed clean to driven touch sensitive tone. In 90% situations , the Todd Sharp JOAT 20 RT is plenty loud enough with just the right headroom to cover most gigs and it sounds huge !
The Wind Cries Mary, Sultans of Swing through this amp will make you drool ! Add the TWE-1 or really nice OD pedal . . .and all the Warren Haynes /Billy Gibbons tones you need . Pretty much any music other than big heavy Death Metal , this amp will do. Coupled the right distortion pedal it might even do that really well. That one really difficult sound of when an amp goes from really clean into Pushed clean to driven is where this amp really shines above others . You literally can hear your flesh brush across the strings when you pick with your fingers and hear a bit more difference from a thinner to thicker guitar pick. A more noticeable difference from Bridge to Neck Position on the guitar as well . All these things are a bit more noticeable on the Todd than some other amps I have played. I Never really liked how a Strat sounded with my 1996 Matchless C 30's amps (that I sold when i got the Todd ). The Todd sounds really good with anything you plug into it. Just a little extra sensitivity .
I am currently using the Todd Sharp with three Tribute bands .. The Pretenders, The Doors. The Police. Get nothing but compliments about my sound from all involved.
I still play a Kemper about 1/2 the time for convenience for some of my basic gigs and fill in gigs, but when I want real organic sound and feel with a dash of Lushessness The Todd is just yummy and then some !
I don't know wether to trust you:
Bruno, Dr Z, D-13 FTR 37, Two Rock Classic , Jim Kelley!!!

Or not:

Kemper coffee maker. :D:p

Last edited:

macmax77

Silver Supporting Member
Don't hate on a working musician making sacrifices for the job ;)

Dave is a good guy ... even if he is from Houston
By now you should all know that half my posts are a with a light taste of kidding.

I loved the description of the Joat!

RAG7890

Gold Supporting Member
The first & only 2 x EL84 Tube Amp that I would ever consider buying. Great Amp, great guy & great player.

BTW, he told me that he uses a Blackstone to push his own JOAT 20RT.

:beer

J D Miley

Gold Supporting Member
Recently got a Blackstone Appliances MOSFET OD and I would agree that pedal sounds great with a JOAT 20RT.
I'll have to look into one of those ! My pedals are a Mesa V twin, Ethos TWE-1, Fetto Nord 70 , and a Timmy. I need a better Modded Marshall pedal . . . . and did not bond well with the Friedman BEOD..

Bryan T

guitar owner
Double Platinum Member
This is one of those amp that I’d love, but would never get the most out of. Enjoy!

J D Miley

Gold Supporting Member
The Todd Sharp can be dialed in to match with just about any guitar and dial in from very clean to pushed to smooth driven sound with wonderful picking dynamics. However, it is not a super dooper channel switching swiss army amp such as a Kemper/Suhr PT 100 , Bonger Ecstasy . The Todd Sharp does what it does , for me , better than most other amps in it's class IMHO. Which is a point to point hand wired EL84 powered amp with a killer reverb and tremolo . The Todd Sharp is in the Category of those single channel or non channel switching amps.such as Matchless C 30, Bruno UG 30 , DR Z Maz, Morgan AC20/40 . I just like it better than those amps. The EL84 thing makes an amp sound fuller and more livelier sooner. Take a Jim Kelley or Reeves space cowboy or Fender twin, Those amps do not start to breath until they start getting pretty loud. An EL84 amp gives up the goods much sooner .
Because of being addicted to the Matchless C 30's for over 20years , I do levitate towards the EL84 type cleans more so than Fender 6L6 type amp. . The reason I like the Todd sharp so much, it is just a bigger /thicker sounding EL84 amp.

I just mentioned a Kemper because that is the only other tool in my tool box at this time. Though the Kemper is an amazing device, no way does it have the complex cleans and overtones of the Todd Sharp.
I use the Kemper Rack for two things =1.An easy to carry grab and go rig to plug direct and hear through my floor monitor . 2. The Kemper does the High Gain stuff really well for the heavier 80's and hard rock stuff that I just can't quite get out of my current pedals. My TWE-1 and Mesa V twin through the Todd Sharp gets pretty close. Also, I pretty much use mostly EL84 amp profiles for the cleans in my Kemper . . . . My favorite clean amps in the Kemper are a couple of Mbritt's (Matchlesss JJ Clean) and a couple I made of my Todd Sharp , One really clean and another pushed/slightly driven.

One of the bands I play in does some pretty heavy tunes mixed in with the Variety music. Such as War Pigs, Paranoid, STP, Alice in Chains. On stuff like that, The Kemper or a Big High Gain amp does a little better than my Pedals through any amp ! I do get pretty close , with pedals , but I sure like the Real deal . Just as the Kemper can get kind of close( in the ball park anyway) to the Todd Sharp on clean sounds, it aint no way , the real deal !

Trending Topics