• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Todd Sharp JOAT 20rt

macmax77

Silver Supporting Member
I have seen a couple of threads about them. (you, the one with the Kemper, I don't believe in your ears, lol)

I would like to know of those who have had one for at least a few months what you think ablut them since it might be my new amp soon.

The other contenders are a 2x10 Matchless Chieftain and a DC30

Any input will be truly appreciated.

Please keep yourselves safe at all times. eat and sleep well, NO to C-19

jnovac1

Silver Supporting Member
I have seen a couple of threads about them. (you, the one with the Kemper, I don't believe in your ears, lol)

I would like to know of those who have had one for at least a few months what you think ablut them since it might be my new amp soon.

The other contenders are a 2x10 Matchless Chieftain and a DC30

Any input will be truly appreciated.

Please keep yourselves safe at all times. eat and sleep well, NO to C-19
got mine about 18 mos. ago. love it. for some reason that i don’t fully understand, i’ve listed it for sale a few times. dumb idea. i think part of my idiocy was speaker related. i started with the 2 blues that todd likes, nice, but a little bright and edgy in the solid cherry cab. swapped one out for a warehouse greenback variant, nice! then i went all in, rewired the cab with a 16 ohm blue, and a 16 ohm g12h30, wired to separate jacks, ala d/13. perfect. made a parallel speaker cable to use both speakers, or can just run either with a standard cable. the g12h gives it a bit more body, which my strat likes. sounds (and feels) fab at 10:30 on the volume, gorgeous cleans with dreamy dynamics, absolutely in c30 land. tons of range with the control setup, adores my pedals. loud if you want, also can do living room levels and still have guts. guess i’m raving about it. again. BTW, i harvested the g12h out of my d/13 cab, which i drive with an ftr37. that could get a little bassy, so i swapped in a real greenback in that cab to complement the blue. now that one is perfect too. life is good.

ps, mine is the original, not the newer + model. i don’t need more gain.

jnovac1

Silver Supporting Member
sorry, forgot to mention my “style”. i’m a big fan of richard thompson electric tones. glassy driven strat goodness with bite, and not grating unless you want it to be. it’s all there. big hendrixy little wing stuff too. i’m not a hard rocker at all, but i do use some pretty high gain to float lines over and under whatever else may be happening, like i said, the joat loves pedals, so it’s there when i want it. not a jazzer either, (ain’t got the chops), but love that influence, the joat shines there.

Hamiltone

Gold Supporting Member
Hey macmax77, I have had mine for over a year. Mine has the headroom switch that reduces the power to about 10 watts. The cab has a blue and a greenback. The amp has a lot of tonal variations with the attitude and hi and low controls. I had a DC 30 in the past and it is not as loud but plenty loud. It is not a bright as the DC30. I have a strat and tele copies and it really likes those guitars. Todd is great to work with. I would say their is Vox in it but also others as well. Kinda hard to compare another amp to it.

deepguitar

Gold Supporting Member
I’ve had a JOAT20 since January 2019. I’ve only giggled it twice, but I play it, a lot. 2x12 with Blues. I play Blues, Old School R&B, Funk, and heavier Rock in my past. I own a Bruno Underground 30, a 65 Fender Vibroluxe Reverb(not a reissue), a Bad Cat Cub R, a Louis Electric Cobra, An Egnater Mod 50 w/ a Synergy S2 and 5 modules, a THD Univalve, and the little Brian May Vox. I’ve also owned a Matchless Chieftain, a 66 Deluxe Reverb(also not a reissue), a Mesa Mark I, a Fuchs ODS, a Mesa Rectoverb, a Rivera TBR SL 60, and a few others. Mostly I play Strats, with also a couple Tele’s, and various esoterica.

The JOAT is unique. It sustains for days. Its EQ is unlike any other amp I’ve played, and I am picky. I like lots of low end, and chime, but it has to be sweet: I hate ice pick tones(Except for Albert Collins, but I digress). Admittedly I mostly play 12” speakers, but have owned or played through everything on your list. I bought the Bruno when I was on hunt for that AC 30 type tone. I picked it because I thought all three types(Matchless, Bad Cat & Bruno)were equally great at cranked up tones, but for clean, it was the Bruno, hands down.

The JOAT 20 is LOUD. You will get Power Amp distortion if you dime it. But it will do crystal clear to Keith type tones, all at fairly reasonable volumes. My buddy was with me in Nashville when I played it. His response was, “that thing doesn’t need a compressor, does it?!” It takes pedals great, the tremolo and reverb are luscious. To me, it’s more usable than the AC types, as it isn’t quite as loud. It can be Chimey or not. I use it on the 4 ohm setting to tame the brightness some, on Todd’s recommendation. It isn’t an AC type amp, even with the 84’s. It’s its own thing, and it is, super versatile. When it is half way up, it goes into feedback like nothing I’ve ever played.

My only complaint, and it’s hardly a complaint, is it looks like furniture. They look so nice, I’m afraid to scratch it. YMMV.

Trending Topics