• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Todd Sharp Joat 45RT

RAG7890

Gold Supporting Member
The Todd Sharp JOAT 45RT is an Amp that I am considering placing an order for (with an added option I have discussed with Todd).

I know that a number of TGP Members have the JOAT 20RT...........& love the Amp & matching Cab.

Todd has been extremely helpful & of course he's a great Guitar player which only adds to my interest in this Amp (which unfortunately I cannot play because I live in Australia & I don't think there are any here).

I'm interested to hear from any Members here who either own a JOAT 45RT or have played the JOAT 45RT. The ability to change Glass is certainly an added bonus, the Tone Stack makes a lot of sense and the Reverb / Tremolo system sounds great.

I also happen to also like the JOAT 20RT.

To kick off, please see a couple of YT Videos on the Amp (which are really a guide only, as we all know).

Any thoughts comments would be appreciated guys.

Thanks. :)

:beer

MattC

I’m interested too. I heard Todd himself do a very intimate gig a few years back with the 20. In his extremely capable hands, it was a monster. So dynamic and responsive — Todd is a compulsive pickup switcher and volume knob tweaker, and you could hear every nuance of that stuff through the 20. Plus the reverb and trem were so, so sweet.

I always feel a little funny actually playing EL84s though. Not sure why — plenty of great players whose tones I enjoy use them. But at any rate, the 45 looks awesome/perfect on paper for me.

RAG7890

Gold Supporting Member
I’m interested too. I heard Todd himself do a very intimate gig a few years back with the 20. In his extremely capable hands, it was a monster. So dynamic and responsive — Todd is a compulsive pickup switcher and volume knob tweaker, and you could hear every nuance of that stuff through the 20. Plus the reverb and trem were so, so sweet.

I always feel a little funny actually playing EL84s though. Not sure why — plenty of great players whose tones I enjoy use them. But at any rate, the 45 looks awesome/perfect on paper for me.
Agree, the JOAT 20RT is an awesome sounding Amp, especially with him playing it. :banana:banana

jnovac1

Silver Supporting Member
Agree, the JOAT 20RT is an awesome sounding Amp, especially with him playing it. :banana:banana

sorry, can’t comment on the 45, just got the matching cab loaded it with two blues, and man, this 20... glory glory. the sweetness and depth is profoundly addictive. brings out the best in my pedals and every guitar. most importantly, it brings out the best in my playing like no other amp i’ve played. pretty danged stout for 20 watts.

PurpleJesus

Moderation is key
Staff member
I know a couple people that have owned the 20, but I’ve never seen a 45 in the wild around these parts. Good luck looking for info. I can point you in the direction of one of the 20 owners that’s also a TGP member if you think that would help at all.

jnovac1

Silver Supporting Member

the 20 has a different sound and feel than other el84 amps i’ve played. bigger rounder smoother. i haven’t found any harshness in there, and i have tried!

RAG7890

Gold Supporting Member
sorry, can’t comment on the 45, just got the matching cab loaded it with two blues, and man, this 20... glory glory. the sweetness and depth is profoundly addictive. brings out the best in my pedals and every guitar. most importantly, it brings out the best in my playing like no other amp i’ve played. pretty danged stout for 20 watts.
Thanks.........that is exactly what I hear when I listen to the YT of Todd playing his at the Baked Potato. He told me he ran a Blackstone in front of the Amp. But yeah, loads of sweetness & depth quite unlike any other EL84 I have heard, I think I understand why.

I know a couple people that have owned the 20, but I’ve never seen a 45 in the wild around these parts. Good luck looking for info. I can point you in the direction of one of the 20 owners that’s also a TGP member if you think that would help at all.
Thanks for the offer, I'd certainly like to get more comments in to this Thread as it will help a few of us & maybe Todd as well (I have no affiliation with him though).

@bigtbluesman has been very helpful.

the 20 has a different sound and feel than other el84 amps i’ve played. bigger rounder smoother. i haven’t found any harshness in there, and i have tried!
Totally agree with the above comments...................& I like "big round smooth". Sort of like a Grand Piano for wat of a better term.

I know I'm nuts but if I get one of them + a Cab I might then get another. :dunno :facepalm

Thanks for all the comments guys. :)

Mark Kane

Platinum Supporting Member
The Todd Sharp JOAT 45RT is an Amp that I am considering placing an order for (with an added option I have discussed with Todd).

I know that a number of TGP Members have the JOAT 20RT...........& love the Amp & matching Cab.

Todd has been extremely helpful & of course he's a great Guitar player which only adds to my interest in this Amp (which unfortunately I cannot play because I live in Australia & I don't think there are any here).

I'm interested to hear from any Members here who either own a JOAT 45RT or have played the JOAT 45RT. The ability to change Glass is certainly an added bonus, the Tone Stack makes a lot of sense and the Reverb / Tremolo system sounds great.

To kick off, please see a couple of YT Videos on the Amp (which are really a guide only, as we all know).

Aren't you in Australia? Have you played any Ulbrick's?

RAG7890

Gold Supporting Member
Aren't you in Australia? Have you played any Ulbrick's?
Hi Mark, yes I am based in Australia. Have not played any Ulbrick's but have heard them about a foot from my face when Irwin Thomas (Jack Jones) was knocking my head off with one when he was playing with Electric Mary (demo night & BBQ at a Music Store that was a customer of mine, some years back).

I won't comment in detail but not my bag, the only Amp builder I work with here is Barry Marie for a wide range of reasons.

Mark Kane

Ok. I had an Ulbrick combo in for some work a couple years ago and what I remember to be a 40 or 45'watt Todd Sharp. I remember being super impressed with the Ulbrick. It sounded very similar to the Todd Sharp until you started to push harder and the Ulbrick ran away with it. That is my only experience with an Ulbrick though. Just thought I'd throw it out.

RAG7890

Gold Supporting Member
@RAG7890 any update? what was the special added feature?
I spoke to Todd about adding in a Loop to the JOAT 45RT Head.

He's done the work & it is possible to have added as an option..........& he told me the result was great.

I have not ordered the Amp though because the Aussie Dollar vs. USD is in the $hitter right now. I have a bunch of stuff to sell back to the US & will use some of the USD I receive to make my final decision.

But as of now, if $$$ were no object I'd order a JOAT20RT + JOAT45RT with Loop + a 212 Cab, when he has his sale event on (& probably load the Cab here).

Lastly, I know Todd is selling a few JOAT45's but there really is no noise on this Head, only the JOAT20RT..........same with a few of the other Amps I am interested in. Living in Australia, most of these are not available to hear / play in the flesh, which is a shame.

dbeeman

I spoke to Todd about adding in a Loop to the JOAT 45RT Head.

He's done the work & it is possible to have added as an option..........& he told me the result was great.

I have not ordered the Amp though because the Aussie Dollar vs. USD is in the $hitter right now. I have a bunch of stuff to sell back to the US & will use some of the USD I receive to make my final decision.

But as of now, if $$$ were no object I'd order a JOAT20RT + JOAT45RT with Loop + a 212 Cab, when he has his sale event on (& probably load the Cab here).

Lastly, I know Todd is selling a few JOAT45's but there really is no noise on this Head, only the JOAT20RT..........same with a few of the other Amps I am interested in. Living in Australia, most of these are not available to hear / play in the flesh, which is a shame.

Thanks. I am a new 20RT+ owner. It sounds much bigger than most 20 watt amps. Bass is firm. Good definition. Does not get tubby in the low mids like some amps. I can't imagine needing 45 watts on JOAT. Of course, YMMV.

RAG7890

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks. I am a new 20RT+ owner. It sounds much bigger than most 20 watt amps. Bass is firm. Good definition. Does not get tubby in the low mids like some amps. I can't imagine needing 45 watts on JOAT. Of course, YMMV.
Can’t argue with that, it’s just what I am used to but I have plenty of higher powered Amps so I’m probably wrong here & should look at the 20 more seriously. ;)

Hamiltone

Gold Supporting Member
I agree with jnovac1, it is not your typical EL84 amp. I had the JOAT 30 for a bit and then Todd was willing to trade it for a JOAT 20. The 30 was a bit wider but the 20 is plenty wide. It had no trouble keeping up with a Two Rock 100 watt CLRS I have since sold. Mine has the headroom switch which lowers it to 10 watts. Still plenty of volume and punch @ 10 watts. The available tone options on the amp also work very well. I have a Blue and Greenback in a 2 x 12 cab. Very clear but never harsh.

Last edited:

RAG7890

Gold Supporting Member
I agree with jnovac1, it is not your typical EL84 amp. I had the JOAT 30 for a bit and then Todd was willing to trade it for a JOAT 20. The 30 was a bit wider but the 20 is plenty wide. It had no trouble keeping up with a Two Rock 100 watt CLRS I have since sold. Mine has the headroom switch which lowers it to 10 watts. Still plenty of volume and punch @ 10 watts. The available tone options on the amp also work very well. I have a Blue and Greenback in a 2 x 12 cab. Very clear but never harsh.
Thanks. :aok

Interestingly Todd has a JOAT 30RT with a few options, like your 20RT to drop the power a little: -

Needs to turn the iPhone around though. :D

Trending Topics