Toilet install

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by kev324, Mar 15, 2015.

1. kev324

kev324 Supporting Member

Need a little guidance from the experts here. Swapping out a toilet, old one is removed, no leakage problems to speak of. PVC flange is in good condition but was installed at the tile level, not above. Is it adviseable to use a flange extension to bring it above the floor if the old toilet didn't have any issues? Old stool looks to be from the 80s, one going in is modern. Waste pipe is PVC.

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

I would try doubling the wax rings first.

3. kev324

kev324 Supporting Member

I'm not really liking that idea, thought about going with a wax less seal even thought the new toilet came with a wax ring. Maybe a thicker wax ring?

4. bluwoodsman

bluwoodsman Member

I am no plumber, but one long ago told me to never double a wax ring. More chance of failure down the line.

Use a flange extension. I just did this with a replacement toilet a few weeks ago. The issue is minimizing leaks--so with an extension it's a good idea to put a layer of silicone between the old flange and new extension.

5. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Maybe just try it with the ring that came with the toilet. It takes about 5 minutes to remove the toilet again if it leaks. I would never seat a toilet without a wax ring. Currently mine ( same issue with tile) has the ring that came with the toilet, which is a rubber seal with a wax ring built on to it and an additional wax ring. Been that way for a few years.

6. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

You can get deeper wax rings, that have a plastic "horn" in it. Your local plumbing-supply house will have them. Use one of them if the flange is flush with the tile.

7. DrewH

DrewH Member

optimum flange height is 1/4" above the finished floor.

So, use a flange extension to achieve that. They come in varying depths.

The hack homeowner thing is to put 2 wax rings on top of one another. 2 ordinary unreinforced wax rings mashed together will collapse inwards as well as outwards as they are compressed together which will lead to a reduced opening and potential clogging situations.

So, use a flange extension and use the reinforced wax ring with the little plastic piece in the middle. Those usually never leak when installed properly.

8. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Yep, doubling the wax ring is the hack homeowner way and almost always will cause problems.
    Signed, former hack.

I had to replace that doubled sucker with the flange extension and a reinforced wax ring as noted above, which means I had to do the job twice. As far as I know, that's still working perfectly 28 years later, or at least it was 9 years ago when I sold the house...

9. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

Just repaired a toilet with two wax rings. It might last a bit (this one lasted 5 years)
    But the leak started under the toilet and into the subfloor -un noticeable until floor started to rot with poo-pee and water. Use a flange spacer and a warm wax ring. Don't forget the toilet shims and latex tub tile calk. I usually don't calk the back side of the base in case there is a leak.

10. kev324

kev324 Supporting Member

Thanks for all of the advise. Picking up a flange extension at this moment. The wax ring that came with the toilet is reinforced.

11. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

12. kev324

kev324 Supporting Member

I looked at that at Lowes. Gotta make one more (hopefully) trip for longer bolts. The ones included are like an 1/8" too short....

13. Craig Walker

Craig Walker WHO DAT!! Gold Supporting Member

They make a single fat/jumbo wax for exactly what you are doing OP.

They are twice the height of a normal one.