Tokai 335

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Laroosco!, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

Anybody play or own one of these?

I'm interested in how it compares to an Epiphone Dot and a real 335.

Thanks

2. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

[​IMG]
    This is mine. Got it from Ishibashi in Japan last year. Its just a beautiful guitar. Nitro finish, lovely neck profile and top notch fit and finish. In a completely different league to Epi's and (allegedly) on a par, if not in front of Gibbos. Mind you, thats just what I've heard from others, but I could have got two and a half of these for the cost of one Gibson!
    I changed the stock pickups to Duncan 59 and Custom Custom to make it a bit more rockin, but lots of other people have kept it stock and are satisfied. I absolutely would not hesitate to get another - its my favourite player :cool:

3. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

I just picked up an ES120 and it is a really lovely guitar. Great fit and finish. Nice neck profile.

4. Shemp

Shemp Member

Beautiful guitar! Is that a Tokai or one of the Epi Elitists?

5. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

<Picks jaw up>. I never saw anything like THAT on the Ishibashi web site. That's a beautiful instrument.

6. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

Its a Japanese Tokai Es-120. I think you can see the headstock a bit in this photo - its an exact openbook Gibson style.
    [​IMG]
    Heres someone elses from the Tokai Forum. Crazy flamed, and remember these guitars go for something about $1200 -1300 US to your door :)
    [​IMG]

7. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

8. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

Very cool. I've never seen one in that colour - is that what it really looks like, or is that just the photo? Is it Natural or some kind of yellow?

9. 60HzShuffle

60HzShuffle Member

So what is the neck profile on these Tokai's like? Is it like a 60's slim taper or something larger?

Personally, I would like to find something more like a Gibson 50's profile neck.

10. hans-jürgen

hans-jürgen Member

That's Vintage Natural (VNT) while the one without yellow is called Natural (N) = without any finish except clear nitro lacquer in the 2003-2004 catalog.

11. hans-jürgen

hans-jürgen Member

It's a thick neck profile unlike the thinner necks Gibson used in the mid '60s.

12. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

I find mine to be somewhat in between. I've got a Gibby Les Paul Studio Gem which has more of a 50s profile and it is larger at the nut than the Tokai but similar above frets 4-5.

The color in my pictures is pretty close to actual although in real life it is a shade lighter but not as light as the pure natural one above mine.