Tokai AS-100 uneven resonance across strings

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JimVW, Feb 2, 2006.

1. JimVW

JimVW Member

Today I received this guitar:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7384034762&viewitem=&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

It's in beautiful shape, and I really want to like it. However, the low E and G strings sound "dead" compared to the other strings, all up and down the fretboard. It's subtle, but enough that I don't want to put up with it. Those strings do not sustain as much, either. Is this something that can be tweaked? I'm not adverse to upgrading hardware. What should I look at to try to fix this?

2. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

I'd check out the fretwork, nut slots, and intonation.

3. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

May mostly have something to do with the nut and/or bridge saddles. If you know how to open up the nut slots yourself with a the proper files, try that. If not, then have a pro repairman check it out.

4. Dave C

Dave C Gold Supporting Member

I'd suggest changing strings and checking everything Tim suggested while doing so. I'd also check the bridge saddles too , especially since you're having the same problem up and down the board. It would be better to set the intonation with new strings anyway. Hope this helps. Nice looking guitar btw.
    Dave C

5. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Well, it's not going to be the intonation or nut slots nor the frets based on your description.
    The strings and bridge/saddles are a consideration.
    I have a dead spot guitar but it is more frequency-dependent and in the upper region, so you have my sympathy.

6. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I agree with everyone above.

If you're not experienced setting up guitars yourself (and I don't mean raising and lowering the action a little bit by spinning the nuts that a tuneamatic bridge rests on - I mean if you've never been trained by someone who knows what they're doing) then it's well worth it to ask the pros around your neck of the woods who, in their opinion, is real good at it.

Then take it to 'em and have 'em check it out.

It's almost certainly the saddles, frets, truss rod, or the nut. Could also be something like the pickups are WAY too close to the strings. From your description, it kinda sounds like bridge saddles to me ... but it could also be a combination of factors.

A good, pro set-up and repair person will be able to diagnose the problem in minutes, and tell you in clear terms what it's going to take to make it right. If the problem is more obscure, they may tell you they need to 'get into the job a little ways" before they can give you an estimate.

If you've found a good repair person, it's worth the money you pay for the peace of mind you'll get. Most pros charge between $50 - $100 for a set-up, depending on whether there's a tremelo involved, or other complications. I see there's no tremelo in this case - pretty nice lookin' guitar!

Expect to pay more if you need a new nut, or a fret mill. They'll get it either spot on, or close enough so that you can do micro adjustments yourself to compensate for climate and temperature change, etc.

I think it's important to get recommendations. If you have friends who gig, and you love the way their guitar plays, ask them who set it up.

Ask your repair person if they give set up clinics -if they do, go to one. It's really interesting.

Good luck, Dana

7. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Have you put new strings on that geetar yet or are you playing with the strings it came with?

8. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Always start with new strings.

9. JimVW

JimVW Member

Yep, but new SOSs on it last night, and the problem was still there.

Thanks to all who have answered. The consensus seems to be that it's something that can be adjusted, and not some inherent problem with the instrument. That's great.