Tokai ES145

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MikeT, Oct 4, 2008.

1. MikeT

MikeT Member

Anyone played one of these: [​IMG]ES145?
    How close is this to the real deal? Any modifications necessary?
    Seem like a good deal to me (must resist, must resist...)

2. steven.rogers

steven.rogers Member

I've never played one but I've always heard great things around here about the Tokai 335s. If I had the cash I would probably buy one myself.

3. 56_Special

56_Special Member

I have no experience with that particular model, but I love Tokai's and I think that they are on a par with the best of the best. My LS320 is a higher quality guitar than any Historic in production (spec's wise) and it's construction and playability are flawless. That ES145 looks like a steal.

4. MikeT

MikeT Member

Still tempted, but the nut seems rather narrow...
    Anyone can comment on overall quality compared to Eastman semi-hollows?

Thanks!
    (Can't afford a Sadowsky semihollow...)

5. hank

hank Member

The Eastman's are really nice but not exactly a 335 style in construction.

I have a 2005 Tokai ES-120 blonde/flamed that's spectacular w/ WCR's in it. For me, the Tokais are more Gibson-like.

btw, Tokai model numbers change as pricing changes. My ES-120 is now an ES-175 I believe.

6. HRydarcik

HRydarcik Member

I have a Tokai ES-120 that I bought from Hisashi, the same dealer in the auction you posted. It's a fantastic guitar. In the past 8 years I've owned a 1997 Gibson ES 335 and a 2000 Heritage 535 and was greatly disappointed with both of them...the Tokai beats them in every category....that's how good they are. The only mod I made to mine wasa Gibson Historic trussrod cover and RS guitarworks aged pickup covers...I aged the bridge and tailpiece myself using vinegar.

You can't go wrong with that Tokai and Hisashi is an excellent dealer.

7. Andre357

Andre357 Member

How are the frets on these things ?? Did they come to you playable right out of the box ?? Or did they need any sort of setup ??

Man, these do look interesting.

8. HRydarcik

HRydarcik Member

Mine was perfect...the fretwork is flawless...actually the whole setup was perfect...intonation was spot on...all I did was tune it up and it was good to go.

9. Andre357

Andre357 Member

Thanks man.

I noticed the seller on ebay has 100% positive feedback, always a good sign.......

i might keep an eye on his ebay store...has some cool guitars.

Didn't/Does Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top use Tokai guitars ?? I could have sworn he played a LP looking burst for a while....

Any other pro players anyone knows of slinging one ??

10. johan

johan Member

145 used to be the 120, I think.
    They are great guitars. Not much difference vs a Gibson IMO.
    Yes, the nut IS narrow. That's why I sold mine. Maybe it's good for you but I have pretty large hands and felt the neck was too narrow.

11. MikeT

MikeT Member

Yeah, that probably is the deal breaker for me...

12. HRydarcik

HRydarcik Member

As far as the nut...it's 1/16 of an inch narrower than your standard Les Paul neck...I switch back and forth all the time between my Edwards Les Paul, Greco Les Paul and Tokai ES 120 and really don't notice the difference...if you dwell on it I suppose you would, but to me it isn't a factor...I'd say I have average or maybe a bit bigger than average size hands....neck thickness is more of an issue too me...the Tokai has a nice beefy neck profile.