Tokai Love Rock (Les Paul)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Lesterman123, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Lesterman123

Lesterman123 Member

I am going to japan and am looking to purchase a Japanese made Tokai Love rock, preferrably an older 80s model. Can someone help me out as to tell me what the models are etc? I want something with a flamed top, even though I know that the tops arent real. if someone could maybe tell me the model name of a Tokai Love Rock that would be similar to a Gibson Les Paul standard, or their top of the line model this would be appreciated

2. hans-jürgen

hans-jürgen Member

The top model in the '80s was the LS200, now it's the LS320 (simply a price tag in Yen x1,000). You should decide if you want a solid flamed maple top or a veneer, because that basically defines the price and/or model number.

A lot of info is also available at the Tokairegistry site with forum:

http://www.tokairegistry.com/

3. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Have a great time...I visited Tokyo a couple years ago and had a blast. Pick up a guitar mag with ads in the back...you'll find lots of cool shops. You can get a concierge or someone else local to help you with directions. I don't reacall seeing too many older Tokais around, but lots of other cool stuff. Check out Navigator LPs. All the best in your hunt.
    Greg

4. matte

matte Senior Member

LS 320, Navigator, Momose Lester. Any one of the three will get you where (Ithink) you wanna be.

5. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

What Matte said if your looking for newer models. I much prefer the newer Tokai LS320 to the older ones. If older is what you must have, try and check out a Greco Super Real or EG900/1000.

6. Lesterman123

Lesterman123 Member

Hey guys thanks for all of your help, I must say that when im looking to buy a tokai i dont really want to spend more than 1000 bucks or so on one. I was looking at the LS70F which seems to be the equivalent to a Les Paul standard. Does anyone know if these are any good?

7. ScottB

ScottB Gold Supporting Member

Go to the Ochanomizu district in Tokyo. I was there in August and it was just incredible. It just might be the highest guitar gear density on the face of the earth.

I wrote a trip report on the Tokai forum:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4107

Lots and lots of Tokais of all levels, mostly new but some old, too. Also other brands that you don't see much like the Navigator series by ESP for instance. Very high quality copies (but pricey, too).

I actually just got back form a trip to Korea today, and I flew through Narita. I'm kind of kicking myself for not taking a day and going back. Maybe, next time. My folks are coming for Thanksgiving so I've got a lot to do here.

Interesting note: When I arrived in Seoul on Tuesday a limo guy was holding up a sign for a "Hans Jurgen". That wasn't you was it, Hans? I wanted to hang around and see, but I was with other people.

8. hans-jürgen

hans-jürgen Member

Hehe, no, I've never been to Asia. But it's good to know that I have a fan over there... :p

@Lesterman: For around $1,000 you will neither find an '80s top model nor a new LS320, but you might be lucky with a new LS150 which is the best bang for the buck from Tokai at the moment, as it basically has the Gibson Les Paul '59 Reissue specs. Maybe you should even mail a dealer in advance if he can get you one and just pick it up then.

9. El Kabong

El Kabong Member

The LS150 is the minimum way to go to getting a legit guitar that is better constructed than a new Les Paul Standard, with better wood. You should be walking out of a store paying about $1200~$1300 for a new one.