tokai lp

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by peabody, Oct 19, 2005.

1. peabody

peabody Guest

2. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

I like them. I have a TV Yellow Love Rock (LP Special). it plays great. I swapped the p/u with a Rio Grande Blues Dawg and its an awesome no frills guitar. They are very true to the "original" design.
    You can find out more here:
    http://www.tokaiforum.com/

3. peabody

peabody Guest

Do you think that one on ebay is overpriced?

4. Fishin'Musician

Fishin'Musician Silver Supporting Member

Completely insane price. Why buy a Tokai copy when you can get a good Gibson for the same price?

5. hackenfort

hackenfort Supporting Member

Something is fishy with that auction. I never dreamed it would go much over 1100-1200. I have a similar one, one year earlier on eBay and sitting at $699.

There was nothing special that I could see to justify the final price, unless ego's got in bidding wars. That always seems to inflate prices.

(MIJ) Tokai's are worth trying, Great guitars, priced right. They are harder to come by, but much more consistent than Gibson.

Kevin

6. whitehall

whitehall Member

You can buy brand new Japan Tokais from Ishibashi all day long. They start about 750.00 shipped and are very nice for the money. They also have a great selection of used guitars as well. Great peoplel to deal with. I've been buying from them for years. web-shop@ishibashi.co.jp.

7. loverocker

loverocker Member

Hmmm... it's a little expensive, but not by much. That Tokai is an LS-100, and the '100' part is the significant bit. There are several details that pushed the price up when new and make it a lot rarer than common-or-garden LS-50/60/80 models of the same period. I

PS: The link didn't work for me, so here it is again: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7358715591

8. peabody

peabody Guest

Loverocker, what are the details that make this guitar better than the garden variety?

Also, how would these pups sound compared to the soapbox style of the tokai 56 goldtops?

Do you think this one had nitrocellulose finish? Does that affect tone?

Thanks for your help. I'm sorta green when it comes to les pauls and mij lps.

peabody

9. ScottB

ScottB Gold Supporting Member

I've got a 1982 Love Rock LS100 that I picked up on a recent trip to Tokyo.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=4ogncvq.b6heuibe&x=0&y=9tvizn

Click "view photos without logging in"

I think I payed a bit too much, but it is an awesome guitar!

The websites www.tokaiforum.com and www.tokairegistry.com/tokai-info/tokai-gibson-models.html have lots of info (that Tokai registry page is specific to the model info you are looking for).

Keep in mind there is some variability. For instance, flamed LS100's are supposed? to be laminated tops, but mine is a solid two-piece flame top.

I really like the DiMarzio humbuckers. They're comparable to a "hot" PAF.

You can hear my LS100 on "Sympathy for the Devil" at

http://www.swampcoolermusic.com/music.htm

And to answer the question "Why buy a Tokai...."

1) Cause they're cool! (I love when people do a double-take when they get close enough to the headstock!
    2) Most of them are better than (especially low end) Gibsons in my experience. I have two of each. Both Tokai's were cheaper than their Gibson counterparts, and I play them more often. My R9 is great, but it was more than 2x the price of my LS100.

On the cheap end you'll probably want to change pickups, etc, but for an LS80 or up you can probably leave them as is. If you want the price performer, I'd suggest waiting it out for a cheap 1980's LS50 or 60 to come up. They seem to be going for around the $500-600 price point lately.

Ishibashi is a good option for new models too. I also bought a JV Strat from the Ishibashi "brick and mortar" store in Tokyo on the same trip and they were good to deal with.

10. loverocker

loverocker Member

I forget the full model-to-model differences (check the links that Scott gave), but they include the pickups and electronics, the binding-fret overlap on the neck, and (I think) the 100 model got the nitro finish. Does nitro affect tone <shrug> Debatable, and once you've added a little gain (and who doesn't!), I doubt it. It just feels right :)

The number 50/60/80/100/etc is the list price in thousands of Yen when the guitar was new. So the LS-50 cost 50,000 and the LS-100 cost 100,000. Twice as much gives some idea of the extra that went into it.

Early Tokais have gone up because MIJ/'lawsuit' collectors are buying them. If that was a 'Les Paul Reborn' (same model from 78-79), it'd be a *lot* more dough.

11. neve1073

neve1073 Member

The mij tokai lps are very nice, but the price is way over the top. If it were 300$ cheaper it would be worth it.
    ymmv

12. bluedean

bluedean Supporting Member

I bought a Tokai Springy Sound Strat from Katana on ebay a couple of years ago, Very nice guitar; beautiful tobacco burst, nice wood and weight. The pickups quack like a duck - in a very good way. Other posters on the Tokai BB said he is reputable and he has lots of good feedback on ebay.

I think he is looking for top money on the LP because: a) it's a LS100 b) it's a good weight c) it has good fret wear and d) it comes with a hardshell case. He knows it's a special guitar.

I would ask him if it has a long tenon neck. Probably not.

This would probably be a very nice guitar.

However I've seen R7 Historic Gibson Goldtops being sold for $1600. on TGP. But they didn't mention the weight, which usually means it's on the heavy side.

13. hackenfort

hackenfort Supporting Member

My apologies, I referenced the wrong one it my comment above, that is a very fair price for that guitar, LS80 and up do command much higher prices.

I do not see many in non-sunburst / goldtop finishes, so I would think that guitar would have command a slight premium too!

The one that I confused the post with is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7357035617

It's ended now, selling price was $1875 + shipping from Japan. I am still confused on this one, a nice LS-60, but nothing special that I can see.

14. Johnnytone

Johnnytone Supporting Member

I see a veneer on the top from the pics you posted.

15. ScottB

I agree, in some of the shots of the p'up cavity, it does appear to be a veneer.

However, if you look at the 6th picture, it looks like there is clearly not a veneer. Also if you look at the 7th and especially the 8th picture (right under the ring mounting hole), you can see that the flame continues through the bulk of the top (those are not reflections). It is hard to photograph and much easier to see by eye. I think what appears to be another layer on the top is just a rolled edge on some of the sides.

16. peabody

peabody Guest

Sorry, what do you mean by "long tenon neck?"

Thanks

17. ScottB

18. loverocker

loverocker Member

I'm 99% sure that all MIJ Tokais have a long tenon neck. The '79 LS-50 and '01 LS-75 I had did. And an LS-100 certainly would.

19. peabody

peabody Guest

Thanks for all your help. I went for it, even though it was overpriced.

Will let you know how it turns out.

20. bluedean

bluedean Supporting Member

I wouldn't say it was overpriced. Especially because you got it at the opening price. It is a high quality, 25 year old guitar, that will hold it's value over the years. With a good setup, this will be a very nice playing and sounding guitar. These Tokais are known throughout the world as high quality, collectable guitars. You could sell itfor approximately what you paid for it, if you ever decided that it isn't the 'one'. I have two Burny Les Pauls and a Tokai Strat that I bought on ebay from Japan and I love them all. Good luck!