Tokai SC-2 Mini-review

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by EvilMose, Jan 11, 2008.

1. EvilMose

EvilMose Member

I purchased one of the Tokai SC-2's GuitarTone had for sale on the forum a couple weeks ago. The design is a somewhat unique hybrid of a Tele body, with a short scale (24.75") and dual humbuckers like a Les Paul, 3-way pickup switch, and single tone/volume control. The body is solid mahogany. Pics of the guitar appear at the end of the thread.

Pros: Good quality hardware for the bridge/tuners = tuning stability. Great fretboard and neck, whole-note bends are quite reasonable on this thing. Design is simple, but effective. Great tones in all three pickups positions. Very effective volume control, works well over the entire range. Feels substantial, but the weight is quite reasonable. Love the transparent red finish! Great looking guitar.

Cons: Slightly neck-heavy. Binary tone knob.

It it perfect? No. Good guitar for the money? Hell yes! This is a quality instrument, and I predict I will have it around for some time. Mostly playing bluesy-type stuff through an Atomic Space Tone, and it certainly suits this purpose.

Would love to hear from some other TGP'ers who purchased one of these.

Thanks to GuitarTone for a righteous deal on all fronts!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. shadowbox

shadowbox Supporting Member

Can I ask what you paid?

3. jetagegreg

jetagegreg Member

I absolutely love mine with the maple top! Absolutely the nicest LP-type guitar I have played in my 25 years of playing. Nice balance, great neck feel, great tone--both clean and overdriven. And it looks awesome....

Here's the link to the original sale post
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=328795

-GB

4. johan

johan Member

I got my SC-2 from GuitarTone. It was very well packed, opened the box, changed strings and played for a couple of hours.
    Damn it's good!! It resonates better than any guitar I've played. Could be the string-through body design. It needs a minor setup for my style but it's good as is.

I really like this concept. It's got a simple design made from Tele and Les Paul. No extras...just good tone.
    I usually change pickups to something that fit my playing and amps. The stock pickup are good, a bit too hot for me and somewhat cold in the top end (ceramics??).
    The neck is nice and fatter than I expected which is a good thing. The Tele/Les Paul design is very good balanced. Fit and finish is what to expect from Tokai - Perfect!

Still in the honeymoon but I'm very happy with this guitar.

[​IMG]

5. johan

johan Member

Done!
    Thanks for a great deal.

6. journo

journo Member

Hi,

I don't want to rain on anybody's parade but just after these guitars were introduced I met Nik Huber who said that this shape was a total ripoff of his Dolphin shape.
    Theft or a case emulation is a compliment?

Cheers,

Mats N

7. johan

johan Member

Yes, it's very similar to the Dophin. Also the Gustavsson Bluesmaster.
    A carved top version was made too (SC-2C).
    I don't know if the Huber-connection, lack of US distributor or the Gibson vs PRS lawsuit at the time was the reason for stop in production.
    There's a few out there and they are great players.

8. journo

journo Member

Hi GM,

I didn't want to come off as a wise-ass with my comment. I personally think some Tokai guitars are really good guitars and that this particular model looks very nice. I just wanted people to be aware of Nik Huber's work and his thoughts.

Regarding Les Pauls and Strats being 100% original can be discussed after seing Paul Bigsby's early instruments. :D

Cheers,

Mats N

9. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

It also reminds me of the Hamer Talladega,which is 25& 1/2" scale though. It`s nice to see the variations of this design, who ever came up with it. My congratulations to them!