Tokai vs Edwards: 1-0

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kikujiro0208, May 25, 2008.

1. kikujiro0208

kikujiro0208 Member

Dear all,

Another Sunday and since I am staying here in Tokyo for a full month, I decided to visit Ochanomizu again, the well known place with all the music instruments stores.
    The previous thread about Edwards Les Paul and the people on this forum raving about them got me curious and excited at the same time. Finally I decided to stop at one particular store where they had an extensive range so I could test them out.
    No, I did not test the relic ones (the JP version with the super circuit or the ones with the Antiquities) since the relic thing seemed a little odd to me.
    The Edwards LP-98 (fine lacquer series Honeyburst) was up to expectations: well built, nice neck carve (between 50’s and 60’s I believe), beautifully flamed, lots of sustain, no buzz issues but I found the pups (SM) a little harsh and loud (IMHO metal players would fancy them). Nice guitar, but unfortunately no ‘mojo’ (since I own an arsenal of guitars, ‘mojo’ or ‘attachment’ has become an important factor when acquiring a new ax). I tried 2 others (a Yellow one and a Cherry Sunburst) but again, nice guitars, but no mojo…
    Almost disappointed, I gave the Tokai LS-100 (hanging next to the Edwards and same price range) a test-run (very friendly sales guys, the Japanese, I must say…). Plugged into the AVM Marshall, the whole mojo thing began… To make a long story short, the Tokai is also well built, has lots of sustain, no buzz issues, blabla… but moreover, it plays and sounds terrific!

Below are some info that I acquired from the Japanese sales guy:

Tokai Love Rock LS-100 (vintage series)
    • 2pc mahogany body (I have not found the separation line yet)
    • No deep dish maple top (veneer laminate + hard rock maple)
    • Short neck tenon
    • Bone nut
    • Pups: Tokai PAF’s
    • Made in Japan
    • Gigbag included
    Edwards LP-98
    • 1 pc mahogany body
    • Deep dish maple top (veneer laminate)
    • Long neck tenon
    • Pups: Seymour Duncan (SH1 and SH4 I believe)
    • Crafted in Japan (body and neck are cut in China; no 'made in Japan' print on the guitar)
    • Gigbag included
    Enough rubbish talk, now let the pictures talk for themselves… (I hope you like them…) :)

[​IMG]

2. kikujiro0208

kikujiro0208 Member

3. kikujiro0208

kikujiro0208 Member

With and without flash ...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. kikujiro0208

kikujiro0208 Member

5. kikujiro0208

kikujiro0208 Member

6. kikujiro0208

kikujiro0208 Member

Some pictures of the hardware...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. kikujiro0208

kikujiro0208 Member

And finally the accessories... enjoy...:band
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

Good looking guitar! I have an edwards 98 lts and think it's a fantastic guitar for the money. I will have to agree with you that the pickups in the edwards are more suited for rock as they seem to be a little higher output, but are still very versatile IMHO. I've never played a tokai, but they sure look nice.

If it plays as good as it looks, I think you have a winner! :)

9. Wally1

Wally1 Member

I think good examples can be found of both the Tokai and Edwards. I've had 2 Japanese Love Rocks and 1 of them was a far better built and sounding guitar than the other. I've had the same experience with Edwards. I went through 3 Edwards to find the keeper of the bunch. I've been playing my Edwards ELP-98LTC (LP Custom/Black Beauty/laquer series) a lot lately and really dig it. Bottom line is both Tokai's and Edwards make good LP style guitars.

10. go7

go7 Member

Also got an E-LP-98-LTC. Put some Wolfetone Dr. Vintage in.Now it`s a great guitar with mojo. Enjoy!

11. kikujiro0208

kikujiro0208 Member

Maybe you are right and I just got lucky by being there at the right time and right place. The guitars that I played today were all nice, but the Tokai just got that little extra...

12. kikujiro0208

kikujiro0208 Member

Thanks for all the nice comments! The current Tokai pups sounds ok, so no need to change them. Once I get tired of them, I might testrun them with some other pups that I have at home (Goodwoods, HFS, ...)
    BTW, did I mention that the fretboard plays like butter?...:crazy

13. fish78

fish78 Member

Educate me on the various Tokai models and prices...Which Tokai prices similar to whicj Edwards..Thanks

14. kikujiro0208

kikujiro0208 Member

As I mentioned, the Edwards 98 (fine lacquer series) are in the same price range as the Tokai LS-100 series, this means around 8x.xxxJPY.
    In the same shop, there was also a Edwards 130, reliced with SM Antiquities and a Edwards 132 model, reliced with super circuit. They are both in the 1xx.xxxJPY range. I have not seen reliced Tokai's yet, but I have seen Tokai's in the similar 1xx.xxxJPY range with Tom Holmes pups (instead of the Tokai pups). On the other hand, I have seen Tokai's in the 4x.xxxJPY range, but they are made in China.
    You may find more info about Edwards on the following official site:
    http://www.espguitars.co.jp/index2.html
    The Tokai official site is the following: http://www1.odn.ne.jp/tokaigakki/
    Hope this little info might be of help to you...

15. got tone

got tone Member

I wish you would of AB'd the Edwards with a LS95F, since that is more close of a match. (besides, I can't stand quilt tops).

That said, in the USA Tokais generally fetch a price at least $200.00 USD more than Edwards, so the price comparison does not hold up.

I've never been a fan of Mojo, either. Some people like Chevys more than Fords, and I feel that this is just too much subjective judging on your part. I am sure you truly feel you like the Tokai more, though.

16. mvsr990

mvsr990 Supporting Member

I love my Edwards guitars (Tele relic, and the Antiquities LP), but if a Tokai fell into my lap I wouldn't complain (particularly if it were the nitro finished P90 goldtop). I'm sold 100% on Japanese craftsmanship.

17. got tone

got tone Member

I would've loved to purchase a Tokai, but if I was spending that kind of money, I think a Gibson would've been in my hands, not an Edwards.

Tokai's are better guitars than Edwards, I have no doubt. You get what you pay for.

That said, I absolutely love my Edwards LP-90-LTS! :horse

18. 5E3

5E3 Member

Greet looking guitar, I really love that top! So kikujiro0208, it's not clear to me from reading your post, did you buy the Tokai?

Also, there should be a G.A.S. WARNING in the subject line ;)

Cheers!

19. fish78

fish78 Member

20. 5E3

5E3 Member