Tokai vs Epiphone

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by impactblue, Mar 4, 2008.

1. impactblue

impactblue Member

How do their Les Paul standards compare??

2. Custom50

Custom50 Member

tokai blows epiphone out of the water.

3. utterhack

utterhack Member

It's hardly that simple!

More like...
    MIK Tokai < Epiphone < MIJ Tokai (lower end) < Gibson Faded/Classic/Standard = Epiphone Elitist < MIJ Tokai (higher end) = Gibson Custom Historic

4. yakyak

yakyak Supporting Member

If you are talking about a new MIK Tokai vs. new Epiphones, Tokai is hands down better. If you are talking MIJ Tokai vs. Korean or Chinese Epiphone pick Tokai. The Epi Elitists are nice and made in Japan I believe but I would still choose Tokai. They make great guitars and are better thought of than Epiphones IMO. Old Epiphones that are made in Japan are OK. I have owned a bunch of 'em, but if I had to choose Epiphone I think I would try to find a MIJ or an Orville which is the Epi predecessor. Orvilles are getting expensive though.

5. impactblue

impactblue Member

Sweet....!

Tokais look so much sweeter than Epis...ugh GAS...!

Can i just confirm...the ALS is MIK where as the LS is MIJ??

6. g335

g335 Member

Sorry guys but I think Tokais are not as popular as you think. Here in Japan, from what I have seen, MIK Tokais do not beat out Epiphones. The Japanese Tokais are nice and but people here will still buy a Japanese Epiphone before a Tokai. Burnys sell well for their low end cheap ones(students buy them alot) But I can say Epiphones sell pretty well here and Japanese people are picky.

7. utterhack

utterhack Member

Only one person has made that claim so far... :confused:

8. SomethingOn

SomethingOn Member

I can't add too much to the discussion but I've have played 6 different MIJ Tokai's and my 2007 Les Paul Standard were better then any of the 6 Tokais. Maybe I just got lucky and got a really really good Standard. :D

9. impactblue

impactblue Member

Does anyone know where u can get Epiphone Les Paul standards with the Gibson style headstock? Apparently only the japanese ones right?

10. Custom50

Custom50 Member

Well, to my experience, the tokais smoke the epiphones. The elitists are a different story, those guitars are deadly. Now, i haven't played an MIK Tokai, but the MIJ Tokai's generally are head and shoulders above the standard epiphone stuff, better materials, components, hardware and workmanship. Generally, MIJ guitars > MIK guitars.

Of course, you can always find gems and lemons. I own an epi LP Custom from about 8 years back and it's a hell of a guitar!

11. yakyak

yakyak Supporting Member

You are correct to the best of my knowledge. Good luck............

12. yakyak

yakyak Supporting Member

Try to sell an Epiphone or a Tokai to someone here in the states and let me know which one sells first and for how much. As far as Burnys go, the '80's MIJ Super Grades slay 'em all. I have two of those and they are killer. Once again, I am just stating my opinion!

13. impactblue

impactblue Member

Guys would the Tokai LS85F be the copy of a Gibson Les Paul Standard with flame top? The LS80F is the plain top correct?

14. rastus

rastus Member

I dunno, but the best Japan guitars I've had experience with were made by Bacchus and Navigator. Some of the Grecos and old early 80's Tokais were real impressive too, especially the high number LS series Tokais. But the Navigator I used to have put em all to shame, and I regret selling that guitar to this day. I've played and owned a couple Edwards and Orvilles, and while nice, they were nowhere near as good (to me at least) as the Navigator and Bacchus ones were. I believe the best Tokai I ever played was an LS320, but I'm not real sure on the model numbers.

All that said, I'd buy a used Japan Greco or Burny way before any korean made Epi or Tokai-for the low $$ they get my vote.

15. g335

g335 Member

Hello

The Tokais are good I only saying that here in Japan, there is not such a big hype about them. I go to the music stores alot, nice ones with all kinds of brands. I have checked, Epiphones outsell the Tokais, burnys alot of students get. Most of the bands indie level and professional I have seen live usually plays a Gibson, or high end Tokai I think, or the epiphones. But usually Gibsons or epiphones.

16. impactblue

impactblue Member

Well to me the Tokais just seem to be of higher quality than the Epiphones and more aesthetically pleasing with the Gibson styled headstock and more attractive finishes.

17. Custom50

Custom50 Member

I completely agree with you GuitarTone, the best strat I have ever played was an older Japanese fender. The neck on the japanese fender's are the only fender necks i like as well. something about the heavy finish on them, i just find it really smooth.

18. Urkoman

Urkoman Member

It depends on which Tokai and which Epiphone. Korean Tokais are ok for the price. Japanese Tokais are much nicer. The higuest japanese models are simply amazing.
    I have a Tokai LS320, played a couple more. Yet to find a Gibson like that, and i´ve had all the historic models and some CS also.
    The Navigators i´ve played (i think the model was LPS380 or something like that, and also a LP custom replica) or an R9 with RS kit+good pickups are the only other ones that compare for me. Both of them look better than the tokais, but to me both are less comfortable, and not so good sounding.
    I´m gassing for a LS380 (with stock JM Rolph pickups)to death.

19. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

hahaha
    all this talk of "smoking"
    does that mean when you play a tokai angels fly around playing harps and it makes an epiphone turn to ash???

What makes a tokai better then an epiphone...so much better that it smokes em...and electronics or pups dont mean jack **** as they are replacable...Im talking build, playability, finish...

20. impactblue

impactblue Member

I think in terms of playability, they're all quality instruments and very playable...!