tolex=robs tone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jmp100watt, Mar 20, 2010.

1. dspellman

dspellman Member

You have absolutely NO clue about speaker construction, I'm assuming. Tolex has no "dampening" affect on the "tone" coming from the speakers. Geez, where do you guys come UP with this stuff? Here's the deal with speakers. Generally what you do NOT want is for the speaker *cabinets* to be contributing any resonant frequencies of their own in terms of wood vibration. Those resonant frequencies can be random, unpredictable and fairly uncontrollable. Take a look inside a Marshall 4x12 sometime and you'll see a hunk of 4x4 (or whatever the hell that is) running between the speaker baffle and the back. That's there to help KEEP the back (which is a huge drumhead, in effect) from vibrating with a frequency that will screw with the sound of the guitar. You'll find speakers of every kind adding dampening material, including fiberglass, foam and more, to the interiors of speaker cabinets to prevent standing waves. You'll find speaker box designers adding baffles and boards to single large panels or even breaking those panels up, all in an effort to prevent "drumming" of those panels.

NOBODY here has ever picked up a book on speaker design?

2. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

Wow, all those HORRIBLE amps.. the Plexis.. the blackfaces.. with that wretched Tolex crap...

What were they thinking?

3. jmp100watt

jmp100watt Member

Dspellman,

Thanks for your 'clinical' analysis of the original question and intelligent response if you will. Your right, im a player and have not read a book on "speaker design" (pls feel free to recommend one to educate us all).....I just know VH did it for a reason, Scumback is selling cabs this way as an option...(I heard Steve Stevens is recently using one) and thought I'd post the question out there........Anyways, rock on!

4. thosk

thosk Silver Supporting Member

old Kustoms used tuck and roll for crissake, and those amps sounded grea...no, wait.....never mind! :bonk

5. dspellman

dspellman Member

EVH had little clue why he did ANYTHING. He had no clue how to install a pickup, so he tried wires until he got something that made a sound and stopped there. The fact that he was an incredible instinctual guitar player and had a band that was wildly popular is probably not a good reason to simply ape whatever he did. You will, however, find that guitar players as a general lot have about as much herd instinct as a school of sardines. Manufacturers see a buck here and will jostle to find some angle with which to steer that school of sardines their way. Naked cabinets? Nitrocellulose lacquer that breathes? Pickup winding mumbo jumbo? NOS tubes that have been packed in camel dung since 1971? Relic'd guitars? Best of all, anything that conjures up the thought that If You Buy This You Will Sound Like Your Guitar Hero -- sales gold. It's not very sophisticated marketing, but it doesn't have to be. Someone out there is building $10,000 amplifiers out of fifty bucks worth of parts and is convincing otherwise reasonably intelligent people that they should part with that money. That's not superior engineering. That's superior marketing. That's PT Barnum "A sucker is born every minute" wonderfulness. That's Emperor's New Clothes smooth. You think that crowd's gonna read a book? Feh.

6. dspellman

dspellman Member

But they sure looked cool <G>.

7. Promootheus

Promootheus Member

I'd argue that's not far enough. The best tone I ever got was when I split one of my fingers open. All that skin dampens the strings so much...nothing like bone on steel. Or nickel. I forget what strings I had on.

:hide

8. vicdeluca71

vicdeluca71 Member

This is funny,mocking and making a joke out of this post when the most here scrutinize the chain to death down to the speaker wire,caps and other nonsense,what is the difference???.To me this has as much substance and can be argued equally.TGP is looking hypocritical to me these days.

9. markflo

markflo Member

you guys are ruthless. :p

10. vicdeluca71

vicdeluca71 Member

I love this post.To me this is spot on but the only problem is you have just become an enemy of TGP

11. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

Uh, no.

There is a limit, even for TGP.

12. dB

dB Member

Not really. It's just an easy target.

If you buy into the notion that a good cab is one that resonates, then any material (such as glue and tolex) that dampens resonance, would in fact alter the tone.

That being said, I've heard great cabs covered in all sorts of things that seem counterintuitive.

13. disillusionist

disillusionist Member

I gotta admit, for a fishing attempt this is pretty clever. I've heard some crazy sh*t on guitar player forums before, but never the Tolex pigment and amp knob tweaks.

14. teemuk

teemuk Member

Yes, but not in a magnitude that you could perceive.

You're still better off removing the bracing and replacing the baffle with a 1/8" plywood.

15. captwillard

captwillard Member

I would think that you would be better off removing the grill than you would removing any chasis covering if you were really worried about that sort of thing.

16. Elias Graves

Elias Graves Senior Member

I thought I had read some goofy stuff in my day.
    Then I read this and realized how wrong I was.

17. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

18. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

19. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

20. anti-flag193

anti-flag193 Member

play your guitars douchebags.