Tolex seams...c’mon!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Michael Hunter, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Michael Hunter

Michael Hunter Supporting Member

2. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Supporting Member

3. 5cr33nager

5cr33nager Member

You can buy metal corners for them.

FlyingPickle and MrAstro like this.
  4. Michael Hunter

Yeah, that’s what I usually do. The color is never a great match, though. Just seems like someone should have figured out a better way to cover a cabinet by this point.

5. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

I think this is the best idea and it has the added benefit of making the amp more rugged and less prone to getting knocked around.

oneblackened and 5cr33nager like this.
  6. davidespinosa

davidespinosa Supporting Member

7. Michael Hunter

It’s a 3rd Power Kitchen Sink head. The matching 2x12 has the same issue in the same spot as well (top front corners). To be fair, every amp/cabinet I’ve purchased in the past 10 years has had this issue - Avatar, Mojo, Fargen, they’ve all had the tolex shrink and separate at the seams. I don’t imagine 3rd Power, or any smaller manufacturer, does their own cabinet work - if I had to guess, it’s probably jobbed out to Mojotone or another OEM outfit.

8. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

Acrylic paint (but it can be sticky if a very thick coat is applied & if the coat isn't thick enough, it won't be opaque)

9. jsboswell

jsboswell Supporting Member

Funny... I was actually thinking 3rd Power when I read the first post and looked at the photo. The same thing happened to my 3rd Power Dream Weaver head/cab a few years ago. Seems like metal corners would obviate the problem, but I guess that's not the aesthetic they're going for. Anyway, I fixed mine by peeling it back a little further and sneaking a TINY amount of superglue under the seam. I pulled the seam tightly back together over the superglue and it held fine.

10. woof*

woof* Member

Totally normal. Having owned a 100 Marshall heads and cabs they all do that over time. It’s just what happens with that style of covering.

QRSS, soldersucker, Tonefree and 5 others like this.
  11. ScottR

ScottR Silver Supporting Member

you can also get Mesa Style leather corners it you want to class it up a bit

12. Michael Hunter

If it gets a little looser I’ll give that a try.

13. Michael Hunter

Kind of a bummer that we have to accept that as “totally normal,” though. I have to imagine there’s some alternate method of laying out the covering that wouldn’t immediately result in it looking less than great.

MRscratch likes this.
  14. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

These materials shape and move over time, mainly due to temperature/environment changes. If you gig often it will also get more beat up, naturally. Nothing to really worry about, IMO. One of my favourite Tolex is on Mesa amps.. they use nice corners and it seems to keep it 'tight' for a long time.

Jfouge likes this.
  15. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I wouldn't think twice about that if it was my amp. You could probably rub a tiny bit of black shoe polish over that crack and it would disappear.

16. Michael Hunter

Yeah, this is very much a “first world problems” thread to be sure. And ultimately it isn’t diminishing my enjoyment of the amp, which is amazing. I just gotta think there’s a better way...

17. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

There are a number of issues here. First off, if you want vinyl covering on an amp, the only way to attach it is with some sort of flexible glue, usually contact cement. These flex with heat and moisture. Different coverings all react differently, but there is no way around it, except to not have covering on the amp.

But then that requires better wood and woodworking skills, which increase costs. Most people don’t want to pay the kind of extra money this would require for something that will get dinged up. There are tons of aftermarket wood workers that will build fancy wood cabinets to mount amplifiers in.

That corner looks pretty good to me. Its better than the corners on every Marshall and Fender (vintage and modern) in my collection (currently 90 amplifiers) all of which have shrunk and peeled somewhere.

QRSS, RAG7890, the_Chris and 8 others like this.
  18. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

Yes, wood expands and gaps expand ... as mentioned, put some extra fine sharpie in there and you're good to go.

19. Dr.Picklebottom

Dr.Picklebottom Member

a lot of builders copy established manufacturers' amp and arbitrarily make 'improvements' without the benefit of having build amps for decades and often make mistakes.

20. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

I don't see it as a mistake, I think it is acceptable.