Tolex tear repair question

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by clay49, Mar 9, 2015.

1. clay49

clay49 Silver Supporting Member

Just got a cab from someone here the forum, who told me that the cab was in 'like new' condition, and today I get it and has an inch-long gouge in the tolex which is very visible, in addition to 5-6 other scratches and nicks on the cab. [I think we need a tutorial here on TGP on how to grade used gear, it amazes me what some guys consider 'like-new.']

At any rate, I want to re-glue the tolex back in place...what type of adhesive would work best in this situation???

2. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

I've used a few different things. It seems just good wood glues works fine. I glue it well and put tape over it to hold it down until dry. Or if it wants to not lay down well clamp it with a little block of wood. ( I have a roll of wax paper around that I use between the block and the tolex)

3. Tonefree

Tonefree Silver Supporting Member

Contact cement should work too, apply a little to both the wood and tolex back. Clean the wood surface first if it is rough from the old adhesive. Good luck!