Tom Anderson Atom owners please- hollow or solid?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by voodoochile, Jul 17, 2006.

1. voodoochile

voodoochile Supporting Member

I am going to take the plunge and get an Anderson Atom with a M1-M1-H2+ pickup configuration. Should I get the semi-hollow or solid body? Does semi hollow open the tone up that much? Tonal differences and your preference...would hollow make that much difference when playing with overdriven tones?

FYI, I like humbucker guitars, will be playing bluesy to progressive rock, and I am looking for something new and different. I have Strats, LP's, PRS solid body types already.

Thanks! :(

2. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

Hollow gives you a softer attack. I played a hollow Atom and thought that I might actually prefer it over my solid one since it sounded a bit richer. My current one is solid M1-/M1-/H2. If I were to get another one, I'd probably get a 2 humbucker one with a hollow body. It's really hard to say which one is better for you.

You should talk to Roy at Anderson and tell him what kind of tones that you like and he can help you figure out which is better. You could also post on the Anderson forum and ask for advice there since there are a lot of Atom players on there.

3. Green Pro Am

Green Pro Am Supporting Member

I have had both a solid and a hollow. I still have the solid and the hollow is gone. I play hard rock with some blues thrown in for good measure. As Gary said the solid seems to have quicker attack and more balls. The hollow was a bit louder and would be great for playing smaller venues where you can't crank the amp.

For me the solid was more up my alley.

4. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I had a love/hate releationship with my Hollow Cobra. Loved the neck pup and hated the bridge, just too anemic sounding. The neck pup had blues tone from hell for days though. In the end I missed that solid woody planky slap tone, so sold the Cobra.

5. GaryMcT

Which pickups did you have?

6. BrownDog

BrownDog Member

I've had both and gravitate toward the solid body, I prefer its quick attack, the immediacy of the notes. Here's how I think of the difference: to my ears, a solid body reflects Jeff Beck while a "hollow" is more along the lines of Robben Ford.

For myself alone and with tone and oneness, Mike.

7. Mr.Hanky

HO1's ???

I know they were his version of PAF type, but I swapped them out for Fralin HB's.

It was a 2 humbucker model.

8. GaryMcT

Did that help the bridge position?

9. Mr.Hanky

It helped both, but I never cared for any Anderson humbucker and I have had a few. They have their own signature that I just don't dig, some weird compression thing going on. Some guys just love them though, it's just a preference.

Tom & Co are absolutely superb though, please don't misunderstand me. I have been dealing with them since 1988 and they have been and always are outstanding, both the company and the instruments.

10. cheesey

cheesey Member

i had a hollow cobra loved the looks of it real sweet ! I prefer my strat for single coil sound . The cobra felt like a tennis raquet , alot of guys would like that light feel so i ended up trading for a les paul . tom is a great builder and service is exceptional , it just didnt work for me.

11. GaryMcT

I agree. Anderson makes exceptional guitars and they are a great bunch of people. I've had mixed results with their pickups. I love the H2 in the bridge of my Atom, and I love the 2 M1-'s in my Atom. I didn't like the H2 or the SA1's in my Drop Top. The SA1's were way way to strong and not close enough to a strat sound for me. The H2 was pretty muddy in that guitar too. The good news is that a pickup swap, and the guitar is unbelievable!!!

One word of warning with the Atom. . if you don't like Anderson pickups, the screw holes are nonstandard to deal with angling the pickups so that they are parallel to the strings due to the angled neck.

12. Ironman

Ironman Member

If you're looking for something different a hollow Atom would be the obvious choice. Just like the others have said, it's softer and more airy sounding with less of a fudamental tone than the solid body.

13. voodoochile

voodoochile Supporting Member

Thanks to all for your help... leaning toward the solid... but now I think I need to listen to the pups so that I make the right choice. thanks again!

:drool