Tom Anderson Guitarworks...best on Planet Earth?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by jawsguitars, May 30, 2015.

1. jawsguitars

jawsguitars Silver Supporting Member

After playing almost every guitar from USA manufacturers(Boutique and mass produced), I am convinced Tom Anderson is at the top of the mountain for overall build quality, fit and finish, play-ability,etc....(IMO) What say you?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    Ethn Hayabusa likes this.
  2. vladorg

vladorg Supporting Member

TA is certainly among the best builders along with many others though.

Holzar88 likes this.
  3. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

Wait a minute, thread title says "planet earth", but you say "almost every from US..." Hmm, I'm no expert on planet stuff, but I'm fairly sure you haven't tried every guitar builder on planet earth from your statement. So answer is NO, since we haven't found anyone that has played guitars by every single builder on earth. :D

C-4 likes this.
  4. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

Sorry, No. Andersons are nice Guitars, but the best = No Way!

C-4 and derekd like this.
  5. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I haven't played guitars I like better, so it's all I own. But I've played other guitars that are just as well made, if they aren't quite "me". Grosh, Suhr, Soloway, Heritage, better PRS. All very very well made.

All that said, Tom's guitars seem to suit me the best. But if I had a guitar from Suhr that had all the same appointments as one of mine, same neck shape, fret size, etc... I am confident it would be just as good.

6. bmutlu

bmutlu Member

Tom Anderson's guitar has very limited options limited with his personal prefences.

C-4 likes this.
  7. stratoquack

stratoquack Supporting Member

Yes Jim, they are. I own a Classic and a Drop Top.

8. Boomdoggy

Boomdoggy Supporting Member

They are wonderful.

9. EricStratton

EricStratton Member

For a "production" "boutique" shop they can not be bested. I've searched long and far for a better feeling and sounding guitar. Nope. Can't do it for the same
    price. They are the Knight's Armament of the guitar world.

10. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Very best? No.

One of the very best, sure. I've wanted a hollow Cobra (T) for a while now. Wonderful guitars.

11. harritone

harritone Supporting Member

As far as small builders...Among the best, yes. They get the MVP comfort and playability award from me. Some of them are gorgeous to boot. Hard to beat a tyler in tone and mojo.... and the neck. The cost of all new guitars nowadays is comical.

PosterBoy likes this.
  12. kralltime

kralltime Gold Supporting Member

13. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Not to mention, Tom and Co's service. Really top notch.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
    voodoochili12 likes this.
  14. pass it

pass it Member

TA is not the best and they are not not the best. Anderson makes a perfect guitar but so do many others. It comes down to preference of feel, tone and aesthetics - all very subjective.

Between TA's models, options and many varied pickups, there is most likely a TA for most anyone but it's not always easy to find or know the options that are right. The old and new ones have different vibes. I've found I like some of the early pickups better than the new ones which are a little more hifi. Anderson is one of my favorite guitars up there with Tyler and Lipe. I love the James Tyler neck and Lipe will build exactly what you want and nail it. I've owned wonderful guitars by Grosh, Thorn, Suhr, etc that are also perfect imo.

Last edited: May 31, 2015
    dsmc80 and Tom Gross like this.
  15. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

They're nice. Along with many others. Great customer service. Along with many others.

The best? Maybe for you.

16. harritone

harritone Supporting Member

Without doubt THE best customer service. Talk to tom himself anytime on the TAG forum.

17. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

Ya know, I was sure I was going to buy a TAG and ended up with a Suhr. Also have a Grosh and a K-Line. All three of these are top notch, and I really liked one of the TAGs I tried, but the Suhr neck shape and nut width worked better for me.

I was on a Tele-style hunt...Honestly, I couldn't say that any were better than the other. In two trips to the shop I played K-Line, Suhr, Anderson, LsL. Already have a K-Line Springfield, so no surprise that I liked the Truxton. The shop had a good variety of each. I was on the fence between an Anderson and a LsL, until I grabbed a Suhr off the wall.

I would have been happy with any of them, but the Suhr had the best combo of neck shape, nut width, and SSCII.

Also, regarding customer service, I've interacted directly with Chris from K-Line and Don Grosh (and his team). Anderson, I'm sure, is great, but these guys are too.

18. Jay K

Jay K Member

Andersons are great guitars (I own a Bulldog), but there are a lot of great builders out there, and very few of us get to experience the guitars of all of them. From among the electric guitars I own or have played, I can't even think in terms of which builder is the best. On the other hand, the best acoustic guitar I have played is a Ryan (my own), but I'm not going to say he is the best acoustic guitar builder out there as I have not played guitars built by every high-quality builder and, in any event, the best for me may be different than the best for someone else (e.g., for acoustics I tend towards the modern sound; others might like a more traditional Martin sound or Gibson growl).

Moreover, there are so many quality builders who either have waiting lists for their guitars or have a multitude of orders. This would seem to suggest there is no best for all players, rather a lot of builders who are are competitive in producing high quality guitars.

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  19. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

Obviously "the best" is subjective, but Tom makes wonderful guitars... his customer service is second to none and on top of all that, he's a really great guy.

20. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Great guitars, fantastic fretwork, wonderful woods and finishes. However, I don't own them any longer.

Tom's vision for guitars is too different than what i want. I am or was not crazy about his pickups, so those had to be replaced. Same with bridges and hardware. The necks are too thin as well, generally. With Suhr and other builders, you can get pretty much what you want in a custom guitar. I have 5 custom Suhrs and couldn't be happier about the instruments or the experience.