Tom Anderson Tuners...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mattyjames, Nov 10, 2005.

1. mattyjames

mattyjames Member

I don't know if it's just me, but man, the tuners on my Anderson are absolutely ridiculous - they are the worst tuning machines I have ever used. I have the ones that take the standard screw driver to loosen from the top. When I try to loosen them, the whole tuning machine tightens and the string just keeps getting tighter until it finally breaks. I take it they are supposed to work like sperzel locking tuners, but they are horrible - It takes me a half an hour just to change the strings.

Anyone else have this issue with them?

2. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

HUH?

I have had 5 Anderson's and never had a problem.
    Are they the split shaft style?

3. flicker180

flicker180 Member

i like the split shaft ones as well but i do agree with the sentiments above...granted, i don't use a screwdriver to tighten them.

dave

4. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

You're doing it all wrong. First, use a penny or dime, not a screwdriver.

Next, go to the Anderson site and read their instructions on how to do it while you're doing it. I'll admit that I had to re-read it while I changed strings the first few times, but now that I've got it, I can change a string in under a minute, no problem at all.

5. mattyjames

mattyjames Member

Thanks for the tips - it does work better, but still takes longer than other tuners for some reason. The whole post moves clockwise until the string is locked down, then you have to turn the post back the correct way, counter clockwise so that the strings are coming through the nut as straight as possible.

With Sperzels when you tighten the knobs just the piston moves upwards until the string is locked down, without the tuning post turning.

I guess I'm just venting here - absolutely fantastic guitar, but to me the tuners are a hassle.

6. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Hmmm, Im not sure Im following you.
    I think I have had every kind Tom has put on his guitars.
    I'll admit the latest version takes me longer than a simple split shaft.
    If they are the tuners I think they are, just put the string through the hole, hold the string tight and wind, it self locks, then give a slight tighten with a penny, cut the excess of, stretch and your good to go.

RC

7. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

I didn't like them either. Part of it was the fact that I needed some kind of tool to open/close it (I know it's me), and I was breaking strings on a regular basis at the pegs. Put Sperzels in and never looked back.

8. mattyjames

mattyjames Member

Hey Andersonguy, my tuners must be broke because when I try to turn the top portion of the tuner to lock the string in, the entire post turns and it ususally takes one entire rotation before the string is locked. Then I have to turn the post back around counter clockwise so the string is wound on correctly.

9. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Try this,
    When you are putting strings on, the top portion should only be open enough to get the string through the hole, dont turn the top portion at all beyond that.
    Now pull the string with one hand (this part is kind of a pain in the butt) while winding the tuner with a winder. It takes a few turns to get going but should catch, and the string will only end up with one wind around the post and be fine and ready to tune.
    If you still are having difficulty, I would definately contact Tom or Roy, they will get you going on it. Part of owning an Anderson guitar is the amazing service you get from the company. I wouldnt hesitate to contact them.

Good luck, keep me posted. ;)

RC

10. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

You're still doing it wrong. Please bring up the anderson web page while you're doing it. You've got to hold the tuing key when you give the top of the sharp that little twist with the coin.

Trust me, it's very, very easy once you get it. 1 million times easier than the original PRS locking tuners.

11. mattyjames

mattyjames Member

Hey Joe - I gotcha on the tuners now, a lot easier. Man do I feel like an idiot...the funny thing is, they totally reminded me of the PRS ones and I couldn't stand those.

Sorry for wasting everyone's time.

12. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

:dude

13. BFC

BFC Supporting Member

I've been using these tuners for years and have never had to use anything to lock or unlock them. I just use a string winder.

14. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

[​IMG]

I never had any problems with my tuners. I think they work just fine and can change a string in less than a minute. This has been the only guitar I play since I got it. The only thing that is wrong with it, is that I've really worn down the frets and need to have them redone. Talked to Anderson, and they can change all the frets out to stainless steel for about $300.00 plus shipping. I'm still contemplating if I should do it cause I'll have to send the whole guitar to them. It'll take about 2 weeks to get it back.