Tom Bukovac fans??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mingo, Apr 23, 2007.

1. hunter6726

hunter6726 Member

I worked on the road with Greg. He is a pleasure to work with.

2. Mrgearguy

Mrgearguy Member

Who is Greg touring with?

3. chewynodoubt

chewynodoubt Senior Member

yes. he is a totally neato player!

4. scoob

scoob Member

"hottubes" ? hahahaa
    I had the honor of being in the same graduating class as Tom. Coolest guy ever. Then I took some lessons from him around '89 I think. My brother bought a guitar off of him, that I in turn bought off of my brother and I still have it.
    Tom could play Eruption in 9th grade, note for note. From what I remember, he knew how to play every Beatles tune as well back then, every one. He is one of the best guitar players I have ever heard...glad he's made a name for himself in Nashville.

5. scoob

scoob Member

Not sure if he checks this site out too often, but here is the guitar (it's the Squier):

[​IMG]

remember that one Tom?

6. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

Go see Tom play with Pat Buchanan if you are anywhere near Nashville. Caught them last week and it was stellar. Tom was playing an old Cherry SG for the early 60's. Two amazing guitarist just having a blast!

7. scoob

scoob Member

Yeah, I thought a couple people would get a kick out of that photo :D I think the chair really made the composition though. hahahaha Beck-ola was hidden back there too...so I have a little TGP cred I guess LOL
    Desert Sun Yellow. yuck. what was I thinking?

8. reganjeremy

reganjeremy Member

hi tom, I have known Greg Sarley all my life and I recently started taking lessons from him. I'm just floored every lesson and spend the next few weeks until the next one just trying to get to a point where I can go to a lesson and feel like I made some progress. Last lesson Greg had just come back from visiting you in Nashville and he was saying how he felt like he had to play catch-up with you jamming.. I can't even begin to imagine! He has a lot of respect for you and I anticipate I will be finding more of your material to dig into, I am always looking for great guitarists to check out. My parents are also friends with joann doagas (not sure if that is spelled right) who said she went to high school with you and you were always the nicest guy. Rock on :BEER

9. Telephile

Telephile Member

Tom, you are one of my favorite guitar players. Very inspirational. I love your tones and playing on everything I have heard. I just caught you on Letterman with Faith. The band and yourself sounded incredible as did Faith. Love to hear some of your studio tips. I know you like vintage guitars but what are some of your main amps and such?
    Big Fan
    Boo

10. hottubes

hottubes Member

holy cows.....thank you so much for all the kind words on here everybody....i sincerely appreciate it.

i'll tell you one thing, greg "bubba" sarley certainly doesn't need to practice to keep up with my pitiful ass...that boy is a BAAAD muhf**ka......
    and he is also solely responsible for turning me into a full fledged vintage guitar addict way back in the day...back when i was in my early 20's and perfectly content dive-bombing away on a $400.00 pink Ibanez Strat copy....
    seriously though, i can't thank that guy enough for being a great mentor.

i do vaguely remember that old black squier strat that Scoob posted the pic of....it must have definitely been mine though...i can tell by all those little mini-switches.....for some reason i used to be obsessed with the concept of having individual on/off switches for each pickup on whatever guitar i owned..i was a weird kid.

and for the guy who asked for a couple "studio tips" or something like that, i do have one piece of advice for all you up and coming gearhead cats out there.....maybe you can learn something from my stupid mistakes.

don't get caught up on all this silly hype that surrounds all the ENDLESS mountains of gear currently available to guitar players these days.
    there are about 8 million companies out there making guitars, amps, pedals, pickups etc. etc. etc. etc.

it's just complete OVERLOAD...guaranteed to give anyone extreme "option anxiety"....i can't even imagine how confusing it must be for a younger kid who's only got a couple hundred bucks to blow on a particular piece of gear....

"which one should i get???...which one should i get????"

and then you find yourself pouring over all these silly reviews from people on the internet...adding to the confusion....it's crazy.

guitar players as a breed are always thinking that there is some piece of gear we do not currently own that is the ONLY thing stopping us from getting where we wanna go in life.

it's all a bunch of crap!!!....yes there are certainly some guitars or amps out there that are just better than others, plain and simple....BUT....
    don't read too much into it.

go around and listen to a bunch of different players....if you hear somebody playing something that sounds killer to you, ask the guy what he was using at that moment.
    you will quickly notice that most great players use similar types of gear...you will see recurring themes.

it's no coincidence that every modern amp maker is virtually FORCED to at some point use the words "Marshall Plexi", or "Vox AC-30", or "Fender Bassman" while they are trying to describe what THEIR amp sounds like...

...and why does every guy that makes his own pickups always have to mention the letters "PAF"?

that should tell you something....

peace out brothers!!!

11. James

James Member

That's great advice. :) Well said and a hearty "Amen!" I love great-sounding gear as much as the next guy, but at at certain point, you find what works for you and use it to make music.

:RoCkIn

James

12. crawdad

crawdad Member

hey tom, when is that new jedd hughes album that you're producing coming out?

13. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before

Glad to see you around Tom. I really liked your stuff with Rascall Flats - absolutely killer tone and extremely tasteful playing, if you find the time out on the road, stop in and say hi :)

14. KT66

KT66 Member

Pawn............ thats what I said, Pawn LT

15. future2future

future2future Member

Thank you for posting here!

I really like reading stuff from such a great player. I dig your tones very much. Although you aren't heard here in holland. You almost can't get the cd's you play on here.

I was wondering if you're interested in recording your own record? I know you're evry busy, but it's always for somebody else.

16. impactblue

impactblue Member

WOOOWWWWW?????
    Sarah Buxton's Stupid Boy is awesome @_@

Killer solo at the end, and the instrumental arrangements in that are just insane...

17. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

I thought Dan Huff played on the Rascall's stuff?

18. SGStrat

SGStrat Member

Tom is a phenom. The guy transcends music beyond words. In my humble opinion he is probably the greatest player to ever pick up a guitar. Hearing the incredible stuff he puts down on records doesnt even scratch the surface. Watching him just pick up a guitar around friends and play is ungodly. It will either make you throw your axes in a fire, or practice until your fingers bleed.

19. mscaggs

mscaggs Member

Buk is one of my dearest freinds in the whole world. The guy is totally in to what he does period and is such a huge talent. Part of what makes Tom so good is his whole attitude and theroy of music itself not to mention the greatness in his groove and feel. That is something you either have or don't. I hear allot of guys around town (Nashville) complaining about not getting to play big sessions and there is way more to it than a bunch of fancy guitar licks as you pros already know. Tom is the master of knowing when/what to play for the song. He never thinks about showing off what he can do because in the end, no one cares.

Buk is my brother and I love him for who he is not what he is...

Tom, if you are reading this, you and Sara get on over to the house so we can hit the lake again this year!!!

BTW, Hey Greg V....

20. phatdave

phatdave Member

Don't know him, but my wife is a Bukovac from Cleveland ,Ohio.

Must be related, it's a Croatian name, and not a huge bunch of them.