Tom Delonge/Blink-182 Sound

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by thebeatles5573, May 3, 2008.

1. thebeatles5573

thebeatles5573 Member

My band does quite a few Blink-182 covers and i'm having trouble mastering his sound. I play through a LP, so i have the buckers, but could someone suggest an od pedal that i could use to emulate it. And one that is fairly cheap as well.

2. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Supporting Member

Welcome to TGP!

Here's an interview snippet from Tom Delonge from 2001. With that being said I can easily get his tones using my Mesa F-50 or Rivera Chubster. Most of my OD/distortion comes from an amp. Maybe a Fulltone OCD for the Marshall-type sound and a MI Audio Tube Zone for the Mesa sound.

"Tom: I love my guitar rig! I love the way it sounds and I use it for one main reason: I think it adds the two elements of guitar sound you need to make a big fat sound. I use a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier and a Marshall JCM900. Mesa Boogies can have all that bottom end and saturation of distortion but it doesn't have that string note tone that a Marshall has. And Marshall has a lot of string note tone but none of that overdriven bottom end. So when you mix the two tones I think it sounds incredible. What I do is put the JCM900 on its clean channel and turn the gain up to 10 and I also do the same with the dirty channel on the Mesa. So you kind of have two totally different unique sounds blended in together. I run that out of 3, Mesa Boogie 4x12's."

3. Johnson

Johnson Member

I don't generally use pedals, but I play in a pop/punk style band similar to Blink 182. I think you can get pretty close to his style in general if you play through a 2 channel dual/triple Rectifier (the closer to 1992 the better) and a vintage 30 loaded 4x12 cab. (i realize that your looking for a pedal here though!) I don't know much about high gain pedals, but I know that mesa makes a pedal called the V-Twin that might get you closer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_kD0nSo6j0&feature=related

But I still don't think you can beat the rectifier + 4V30 combo! Goodluck!

4. Smü

Smü Member

Three 4x12 ... wow. Someone told them about the invention of a PA lately?

5. Ed G.

Ed G. Senior Member

It's a different world playing the stages they play compared to the gigs we play. You can get away with a lot more stage volume.

6. KCWM

KCWM Member

+1

Sometimes, the bedroom players/weekend warriors forget that. That's why you don't often see them running around with the deluxe reverbs and JTM45s, or countless clones of them, during tour.

7. Smü

Smü Member

Agreed. And I couldnt care less if any multimillion guitar guy has three or thirty 4x12 that he has tossed around by his roadies. Still doesn't beat a good monitor sound / in ear system, that was what I meant.

And to be honest: I would definitely schlepp two 4x12s around if the stages we play (and the cars we have ...) would make it possible.

:banana