• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Tom Holmes P/ups sound good split?

thelionsden

Anybody split theirs? I am having some made and I wonder if i should get 4 wire and put a few push pulls in...Going in a GC edition 68 reissue LP Custom

Thanks

Dennis

john b

Silver Supporting Member
I just put push/pull tone pots in my R7 last week after having 450/455's in there for probably 5 years. All I can say is..WOW! They sound great and I usually hate the sound of split hums. Having 4 different tonal options in the middle position is totally cool and very useful. I'd highly recommend it.

Karen Holmes sent me a wiring diagram. You might want to ask for one with your pups. I highly recommend splitting the slug side. It sounded much better to me than the screw side.

Seegs

i know a guy in town who has splittable Holmes pickups--they are unreal.

i am in love with my Holmes 450/455 set--just put them in my SG. i want another set because they sound so great in my Les Paul, too! these pickups are so responsive to changes in your volume and tone knobs, i'm not interested in splitting mine--they just have so many different and great sounds as they are. totally worth the price IMO.
really no reason to do that...the tone and all the shadings are there as is...roll down the volumn and I can get them to be single coil-like...

Chow,
Seegs

thelionsden

really no reason to do that...the tone and all the shadings are there as is...roll down the volumn and I can get them to be single coil-like...

Chow,
Seegs
I see.. maybe I'll just throw em in like that. I don't think it should hurt to get the 4 wire though huh, in case I decide to try it at some point..Just a little extra wire hanging off that is connected together....

Thanks for the replies

Dennis

john b

Silver Supporting Member

Chow,
Seegs
That's true to an extent but why not split them if they're wired for it? The sounds I get with mine split, especially in the middle position with one pup full and one split, are not like anything both pickups can do played full.

john b

Silver Supporting Member
Beautiful LP phoenix. It must sound great with the Holmes pups and the JP wiring.

rcl

If you want a different sound, and want to skip the single coil hum, you could just wire them "wide". One push pull tone control-wire the two wire you normally solder together to the top two on one side, the other pickup/same wires to the top two on the other side. So-all normal with the pot down. Next, wire crossover wires on the bottom lugs(the ones closest to the normal pot lugs) to the top(forms an "X" sort of thing. When you pull up, the first coil from one pup is joined with the second coil of the other pup and vice versa. Like the inner/outer thing in PRS land, except that you can throw the pup selector to center and use the volume knobs for a myriad of cool tones. I used to use the tone pots to knock pups into parallel mode, but I did this mod on my collings and mcnaught and just love the tones.

thelionsden

If you want a different sound, and want to skip the single coil hum, you could just wire them "wide". One push pull tone control-wire the two wire you normally solder together to the top two on one side, the other pickup/same wires to the top two on the other side. So-all normal with the pot down. Next, wire crossover wires on the bottom lugs(the ones closest to the normal pot lugs) to the top(forms an "X" sort of thing. When you pull up, the first coil from one pup is joined with the second coil of the other pup and vice versa. Like the inner/outer thing in PRS land, except that you can throw the pup selector to center and use the volume knobs for a myriad of cool tones. I used to use the tone pots to knock pups into parallel mode, but I did this mod on my collings and mcnaught and just love the tones.
Interesting ideas sounds like it might be pretty cool. Thanks

Trending Topics