1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tom Holmes PAFs - landed !

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by pirateflynn, Jan 8, 2008.

1. pirateflynn

pirateflynn Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Going in a semi-hollowbody. The wait will kill me!

2. Burst59

Burst59 Member

Were the did you get those? I'm drooling with envy.

3. Rocket Brother

Rocket Brother Member

Hi
    Congrats on getting the best PAF clone I´ve ever tried - as my title surggests be ready to wet yourself the first time you try it.
    I instaled an aged pair in an aged lim.edi. LP CS Custom ´68 rougly 5 years back, and that guitar just sings with a vintage LP voice thats orders of magnitude better than any other non-vintage LP I´ve tried. Acturally it is only ever topped by the all original ´59 burst I had the good luck of playing at a session in august last year.
    Enjoy the ride.
    RB

4. Red Suede

Red Suede Member

I have a bridge 455 going in my Heritage 535 to go with the 450 in the neck. I can't wait.

5. rastus

rastus Member

I have a set of Tom's PAFs that I have had for several years. They are just wonderful sounding P/Us. They currently reside in my 82 335 dot reissue. I have had them in and out of several of my guitars, but they work so well in my 335 that they have found a permanent home there.

6. jruano

jruano Supporting Member

Had a set.

Sold it.

Dumbest thing I've EVER done.

7. kevmin

kevmin Member

I have had a set in my ES-347 for almost 10 years. I am still astounded by them. They have such a fat sound but with perfect note separation and clarity. And the neck pickup has such a different tone than the bridge!!! The neck is so warm and "womanly" and the bridge has a chimey bite like no other humbucker I have ever heard. I am sure you will love them. When I bought mine, they were only $250 a set but I have heard they are twice that now.

Let me put it this way... If I had to replace mine, I would not hesitate to pay double.

8. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

you can still order them from Tom Holmes. They are up to about $565.00 a set (I think)

9. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

I had a set in a 335.....sold the guitar in 2000; failed to remember to yank the pickups beforehand.

Dumbest move I've made in a long time.

Enjoy your set; I sure enjoyed mine.

10. Burst59

Burst59 Member

Do you have a link? I've done a search for him and was not able to find any.

11. currypowder

currypowder Gold Supporting Member

I also have a set in my 83 dot reissue and I can't agree more. It is a perfect match of guitar & pickups.

12. Red Suede

Red Suede Member

Do a search under "Tom Holmes Company".

13. Burst59

Burst59 Member

Got it, sent him an email. Is this going to be an eccentric Dumble thing or can I just order pickups like a normal person and get them?
    If I get put on a 2 year waiting list I will probably pass.

14. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

I think it depends on when he does a run. I know people who order them and they get them in a week or two. Sometimes it's a few months.
    My friend/tech is friends with Tom and says Tom does them in batches at certain intervals since he makes everything. My buddy always has 4-5 sets on hand and never has to wait more than a few months for another order IIRC.

Let us know what Tom responds with.

15. Red Suede

Red Suede Member

I just ordered the one and got it in a month, so if he's making up a batch you'll luck out. You should call him. That's what I did.

16. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

Tom Holmes
    615-876-3453

Worth every dime and then some!

17. kevmin

kevmin Member

So have you tried those pickups yet? I am anxious to hear how you like them!

18. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

There's a little bit about the Holmes pickups on Jol Dantzig's website seems Holmes is getting some good exposure.

19. john b

john b Supporting Member

I love telling this story: I was at the San Rafael guitar show, probably 2002, looking through a box of used pups that a dealer had. I see those two brown cardboard boxes at the bottom of this large box I'm sifting through. I open them up and it's a mint set of TH antiquities. I ask the guy very calmly, "how much". His reply: $100 for the set. I threw a franklin in his hand and ran!

Definitely the coolest gear thing that's ever happened to me. Being antiquities, they've aged and tarnished and now look 40 years old. They've been in my '03 R7 since I got it and just KILL. Absolutely the best later day PAFs around IMHO. Enjoy your new set!

20. zion

zion Supporting Member

My Holmes set arrived today, unpotted 4-conductors. Man they are pretty! Try to get them in tomorrow. Can't wait!