Tom Holmes pickups????

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TopDog, Apr 9, 2008.

1. TopDog

TopDog "jumping the valence" Silver Supporting Member

Anybody know where can I purchase Tom Holmes pickups for my Gibson R7?

Thanks,
    Rod

2. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

3. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

That's it, and I think there's a long wait. And the price is very high. And ... It might be worth it, IMHO - the Tom Holmes pickups I tried sounded just like my fave PAF's, and I own a '59 dot neck ES-335 w/ orig PAF's. Holmes are the best I've ever heard to date.

Dana O.

4. TopDog

5. paintguy

Dana,

Good deal about the Holmes pups rating up there with original PAF's.

Also, the wait is usually not that long. It depends when you catch Tom and when he's making a batch.

Another member recently emailed asking me where he could find Holmes pups and I gave him the same link.

He emailed me back the next day to tell me he had spoke with Tom and what a great guy Tom was.

He also mentioned Tom wa sending him a pup out within a few days.

I guess timing is everything:D

6. Mikey Likes It

Mikey Likes It Silver Supporting Member

I just called Tom, had a nice chat with him, and had my pickups within a month (might be a longer wait nowaday), and they were way less than what Ed Roman was asking for them.

7. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Any idea what that high price might be?

jb

8. paintguy

Somewhere around $565.00-$600.00 a set last I heard.

9. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I got a set of Tom Holmes 450/455 setup in my '57 Goldtop that just oozes tone! They are one of the best PAF-inspired pups I've ever played IMO. It's been my #1 for a while now.

But,

I did recently acquired a set of WB '67-07 VTPH that are just too sweet and I'm digging those right now in my R9. So far its the best I've played yet. Puts out all the qualities I want to hear out of a great pickup.

So, its the one to beat for me...

10. TopDog

wow! I just spoke to Tom they are Pricey.

Are they really worth it?

Did tone quest ever report on his pickups?

11. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

You know, there are a lot of good PAF type pickups being made right now, a lot of good choices. To my ears, no offense to anyone, the Holmes are the best I've heard yet, but there are several others that sound just great. WCR, Seymour, Wolfetone, Sheptone, and others have some great sounding PAF's.

Hey Larry - I was thrilled and surprised at how good the Holmes pickups I tried sounded.

Hey BleedingEdge - I was at Sol Betnum music in LA in '74 one day, and I heard and saw a 'rock star' trying out a '56 Les Paul w/ a staplehead neck pickup and a P-90 bridge pickup like you describe. The guy was playing through a 50w Marshall half-stack, cranked all the way up, and us 18 year olds were thrilled.

The rock star played some hot licks, then abruptly switched to the neck pickup in mid-lick, and .... POW!, the amp blew up right in front of us - flames shooting out the top through the vent holes and everything. After the initial reaction, and after the fire was out, the rock star says,

"Hmm, strong neck pickup", with a grin.

Ya think?

Dana O.

12. kevmin

kevmin Supporting Member

I paid $250 for my set about 10 years ago. I am still madly in love with their tone. I would pay $600 for a set now, no problem. They are well worth it.

13. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

14. gearitis

gearitis Gold Supporting Member

I spoke to that guy at NAMM this year. He told me that he spent quite a bit of time with Tom learning how to wind the Japanese version of the Holmes, and that he and Tom make sure that the are worthy of the Holmes name.

15. karmadave

karmadave Member

I bought a set before Tom doubled his prices. They are the best sounding PAF-type pickups IMHO. Whether they are worth what he charges is only for you to decide...

-KD

16. Mikey Likes It

Mikey Likes It Silver Supporting Member

Wow - I didn't realize the price had jumped that much - got mine for around $250, but then, the "boutique" market has blossomed, and if I were Tom and saw younger, newer pickup winders charging as much as or more than I was, I'd crank my prices, too. Especially if I couldn't afford to spend 20 or 30 hours a week winding pickups.

17. playon

playon Supporting Member

They are OK but I don't think they are worth that much. There are a lot of guys making nice pickups out there, and everyone's idea of a great "PAF" is different, since the original PAFs were all over the map. I prefer Alnico II pickups, I had a set of the Holmes and thought they were kinda bright... Tom is a great guy though, and he does good work.

18. LARRY GERSHON

LARRY GERSHON Silver Supporting Member

A Couple Of Years Ago I Met Tom At The Dallas International Guitar Festival. Spoke With Him At Length, He Said He Winds About 300 Pickups A Year By Himself. I Have A 61 Sg Les Paul That I Was Restoring At The Time, It Was Minus Its Pafs Of Course, Robbed By Someone. I Bought A Set At The Show From Him. He Had A Few Pairs With Him. I Paid A Little Less Than $600. For Them. Those Pickups Make That Guitar Great Again. Of Course The Old Wood Helps Too. He Was In A Booth With A Several Japaneese Guys Who Were Selling Handmade Les Paul Type Guitars With Holmes Pickups. The Guitars Were Pretty Good. About $2300 At The Time But I Did Not Buy One. I Would Think These Are The Same Guys Who Are Making His Pickups Now In Japan. Tom Is A Great Guy, A Real Class Act And A Gentleman. Just Thought I Would Share That With Everyone. I Looked For Him Last Year In Dallas At The Show But I Did Not See Him.

19. mmasters

mmasters Senior Member

I found Tom Short's pickups to be superior to Tom Holmes's pickups.

20. porterfield

porterfield Silver Supporting Member

Dan, sorry to resurrect this from the dead(long dead), but who was that "rock star"? Inquiring minds want to know ;)