Tom Holmes

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Jove, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Jove

Jove Member

Hey Guys,

I've been using my Tom Holmes loaded Les Paul Classic for quite awhile and have some questions regarding the tone of the pickups and pickups in general.

First off, Tom was a pleasure to deal with and got me the pickups pretty quickly considering how many different things I've heard about his wait times. I bought the H450/455 set and definitely dug them immediately over what I had in my guitar prior. Honestly though, I still don't feel like I'm getting that chirp PAF's are so famous for. The one trivial detail is that, he convinced me to go with potted ones because he said there is very little difference in sound and the trade off is better. I often wonder though if I would have been happier with the unpotted ones. As John Suhr told me, only God himself can UN-Pot a potted pickup, so that's out. It's becoming potentially worth it to me to order an unpotted set from Tom and see if I dig them more. I just wanna check all my options before doing that. I have some upgraded pots and had them wired up in the 50's tone pot style wiring. On my neck pickup, it gets a little muddy for my preference and has siginificantly more volume then my bridge. How much change will working with the height of the pickups make? Will it make a difference in tone, not only in output?

I'm basically just trying to fish for suggestions as to maybe why I'm not getting THAT tone PAF's are responsible for and if I can do anything with what I have to make these great clones I'm fortunate to own, work in their optimal manner.

Thanks guys,

J

2. will richardson

will richardson The Tennessee to California Connection Silver Supporting Member

It's a crime against guitardom that noone responded. I have had two unpotted sets and one bridge potted. Go with unpotted, they breath better and are a little less compressed. I think they sound more full in range than the potted. However a Holmes is always better than average and then some. Certainly one of the best if not...

Sorry you got missed along forumway.

will richardson

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  3. chervokas

chervokas Member

Interesting that this thread is being revived now. I'm struggling w/ a set of Seth Lovers that are, of course, unpotted. They sound great--open, chimey, honky, crisp pick attack yet fat at the bottom and mids. But they are microphonic and can't be used in a high gain setting without squealing. I've been trying to find some kind of pickup that has similar qualities but which is better damped and I've even been toying with potting the Seths.

Anyone know where I can get my hand on a PAF-like, low-microphony, lowish output, short leg, chrome-covered neck 'bucker?

4. korus

korus Member

check this http://music-electronics-forum.com/t6242/

glue/tape the cover
    glue the magnet

also, potting pickups can be done lightly

5. will richardson

I've had two sets of sets of unpotted Homes, never microphonic problems I have a 62 345 with one PAF and one Patent # never any problems Microphonic issues do occur but it is not a given. Did Alvin Lee pot his pickups or Page?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  6. GM Reszel

GM Reszel Member

Seriously? One can hear the difference between potted or not? I had no idea...learn somethin' new.,.,.,.

7. will richardson

It's very subtle. If you listen to two amps or guitars that are the same model or run they will sound different. Probably less subtle than the difference in potted vs potted, but still hearable. When I started playing in 1964 I probably would not have heard it, but maybe. By the time I was learning Hendrix, Clapton, I would have heard it. That would have been around 1967.