• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Tom Jones, where does he fall for you?

Vishnu

He never really managed or tried TBH to get away from the blue hair ol' lady gig but if i am being honest i think he has or could have had the UK premier rock and roll voice

Almost ALL of the UK R&R singers from the 60s and 70s have lost most of their power and range....not so big Tam

If this guy had choosen a rock band for a career he'd be at the top of the chops tree

PRW

And check out this live take on Burning Hell from Letterman. Tom may have had his cheesy moments but he could throw down.

Last edited:

AA864

I'm 60 yo. To me he was always pure pop dribble, stuff that plays on the Merv Griffin show that my parents would watch. He was a notch above Neil Diamond, but not by much. Sorry to you fans, but he's not for me. Carry on.

Where's that clip of TJ playing with Jeff Beck, that kinda blew my mind.

Last edited:

PRW

I'm 60 yo. To me he was always pure pop dribble, stuff that plays on the Merv Griffin show that my parents would watch. He was a notch above Neil Diamond, but not by much. Sorry to you fan, but he's not for me. Carry on.

Where's that clip of TJ playing with Jeff Beck, that kinda blew my mind.
I’m 62 and I finally figured out that the music my parents liked that I rebelled so hard against when I was a kid actually is pretty damn good (my eureka moment was buying my first Sinatra CD), and that there’s nothing the matter with well done pop. But to each his/her own.

AA864

I’m 62 and I finally figured out that the music my parents liked that I rebelled so hard against when I was a kid actually is pretty damn good (my eureka moment was buying my first Sinatra CD), and that there’s nothing the matter with well done pop. But to each his/her own.
yeah, sorry, I don't get Frank either.

The only artist that I warmed up to that my parents liked was Johnny Cash.

PRW

yeah, sorry, I don't get Frank either.

The only artist that I warmed up to that my parents liked was Johnny Cash.
Again to each his own. If we all liked the same things it would be a boring world. Basically I’m not rock-centric at all in my tastes at this point in my life, where I basically was in my teens and 20s. I appreciate entertainment for the sake of entertainment, not concerned about music to piss people off or make some grand statement, although I don’t reject such things. Basically I don’t rebel anymore.

straightblues

He was my mom's favorite. So I heard a lot when I was young. He is great. IMHO, he suffered because he was so good he could do anything, and he did. He even had a TV show. I think if he would have stuck to one style he would have been even more legendary. Tremendous singer even had a hit with a Prince song along with David Gilmour from Pink Floyd.

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
Tom can do no wrong. Seven pages and no one posted this??

I was going to post it a couple of times but I kept getting distracted. I actually would have put up a live version that IIRC us from Conan, after a great interview.

And I bought the album it's on. First Tom Jones album I ever owned--heard him plenty of course.

Gillian Welch song, love her versions too.

John 14:6

He never really managed or tried TBH to get away from the blue hair ol' lady gig but if i am being honest i think he has or could have had the UK premier rock and roll voice

Almost ALL of the UK R&R singers from the 60s and 70s have lost most of their power and range....not so big Tam

If this guy had choosen a rock band for a career he'd be at the top of the chops tree
Rod Evans from Deep Purple wanted to be Tom Jones back in the day. Lots of singers did. Tom Jones and Neil Diamond both played to blue haired old ladies and made bank. Both of them could have also been seriously successful singing and fronting MUCH heavier bands.

What could have been would really have been fun to see and listen to. When he was contemporary in the late 60's/early 70's he did influence and inspire quite a few singers of the day.

Last edited:

Highway Man

I struggle with Tom Jones. Being part-Welsh, I want to love him.
Being a Prince fan, I really can’t forgive that cover of Kiss.

Beauchamp

I wonder what those Zeppelin fans would think if they knew that Jimmy Page played on Tom's first big hit?

Tom was a great singer, I'm more into guitar but he was part of the English Invasion so that was cool. Jimmy Page did some studio work back then but has taken credit for parts he did not record such as the solos on You Really Got Me and I Can't Explain, which he clearly did not do.

DW54

He's the real deal. Check out the "Tiny desk " (forgive me if I've botched that name) concert: just him and his guitarist. A real pro. Much respect. I also hated him when I was younger. (still working on ridding myself of ignorant ideas: it's a lifelong chore I'm afraid.)

A friend of mine took me to see Tower Of Power and Tom Jones -I kind of had very little interest in going ....... but a free ticket and Tower Of Power- well it was an awesome show to say the least-Tower of Power opened , but it was not Garabaldi on drums, it was the drummer for Tom Jones band , as David Garibaldi's wife was having a baby ,so he had to scoot off at the literal last moment- we only found out mid show-Tom's drummer had reportedly subbed for David 5 years previously ,but come on... no rehearsal sitting in with Tower Of Power?? Made me remember what REAL musicians are able to accomplish. Oh.. and Tom Jones was fantastic-no kidding

John 14:6

Tom Jones at his best here IMHO. GREAT voice and a little bit of lead guitar courtesy of Jimmy Page from back in his studio musician days.

Trending Topics