Tom Morello proclaims "gear doesn't matter"

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by hellbender, Aug 5, 2016.

1. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Performs as epic clickbait though.

2. Fu Schnickens

Fu Schnickens Member

And to further address his point, why are there 5 pages of y'all (us?) parsing the musings of Mr. Morello? Don't you have music to make? Or, God forbid, gear to chase?

Also, I can't tell you how much I enjoy it when some folks log on to a thread just to say No. I don't like he/she/it. Taking time out of their day to crap in our corn flakes - how gauche. I can't.

3. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

Whoda thunk it?!?

4. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

That's funny coing from someone who's lead sound/gimmick is all about the gear.

dirk_benedict likes this.
  5. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Supporting Member

I think I get what he is trying to say and I have to agree, to a point. But I think it's possible to favour one amp over another without being lost in an endless tone quest.

Having said that one of the best jams I ever was part of all I had to play with was the dying buzzy house amp. I managed to dial in a half way usable tone and never looked back.

6. Pitar

Pitar Member

I think this is right.

Bring the skill set to the gear, not vice versa. I understand the lure of sparkly things, but if your skills can't give it no gear alone will.

Of course, then there's the false notion that gear will entice the skills to match it in quality. Right. That's why we have gear forums. They're places to talk about not having stuff, including skills.

I've been on these forums on/off since 2004 and can remember only a handful of contributors who could actually play well enough to know gear doesn't matter, nor did they ever talk about it.

Finally, people who can barely play but are walking gear catalogs will engage in talk about tone.

Really?

JCM 800 likes this.
  7. slybird

slybird Member

I totally enjoy it too. That type of behaviour and the arguments that ensue is the only reason I read these threads.. TGP users get so upset so effen easily when their favorite artist/music or gear is attacked. Trolly or not, I sometimes can't help myself and just add more fuel. Beyond that, argueing about very unimportant things like music and art is sometimes entertaining.

BADHAK likes this.
  8. s2y

s2y Member

In his signal chain, yes, the guitar or amp probably don't matter a whole lot.

I never really "got" RATM. I was more into classic metal and never really got into the whole political thing. At that time, anything remotely hard on guitar was frowned upon. More than a few people at the time seemed to be more about effects driven solos. I have never been much of an effects kind of guy. Heck, most of my time these days is on acoustics.

9. ungarn

ungarn Member

Tom has been basically using the same rig for 20 plus years. Rather than Chase tone he has focused on writing songs, performing, political activism, etc. Works for him. Certainly not the only approach, and not for everyone. I like Tom's music and playing...but do not need him telling me how to play.@

10. DC1

DC1 Member

Who bloody cares? I also don't care about his opinions on beer or steaks.

I only care what I think about gear and what helps me make my music.

Lessee, Robby Krieger used to never change his strings.

Do you care? Why?

dc

11. themass

themass Supporting Member

I agree with Tom for the most part. Obviously gear is part of the sound chain, but being a creative musician has really nothing to do with gear.

CubanB likes this.
  12. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals Gold Supporting Member

I've got an Ibanez DFL.

I'm not sure how much he used it on the first 2 records but...

A DS-1 in front of it, is instant Rage.

13. CubanB

CubanB Member

There's people who understand 'it' and 'get it' and there's people who don't. People who don't will get offended and have to argue against what he is saying but really.... what he is saying is just common sense.

Of course it's easy to nitpick it and of course gear matters to a certain degree, but there is an underlying point to what he is saying that is still true. If he'd have spent his last 20 years on here arguing about diodes, string brands or tonewoods, he wouldn't have written the songs that he has and we wouldn't even know who he is. The people that 'get it' know how to put gear/tone chasing into the proper perspective.

And the ones that don't use it as a crutch or distraction from their lack of talent or willingness to actually play.

To chase that illusive tonal heaven is like chasing unicorns and if you spend all of your time chasing that, it's like chasing an illusion. There's better things to chase. All of the players we know and love had it.. and they would have had it regardless of what gear they used.

14. Coldacre

Coldacre Member

that wasn't Vinnie, that was the singer!

15. Coldacre

Coldacre Member

excellent post and spot on.

most gear-heads on TGP are more interested in buying new gear than writing music. the hobby is acquiring new gear, not writing new music. Tom is trying to say which of the two is more important. that's what I got from it anyway.

of course when you're starting out and trying a new type of effect it's smart to research it online first. but once you have all your basics covered (overdrive, delay, phase, wah, whatever else you need) STOP the endless cycle of buying, flipping, buying, flipping. invest your spare time in WRITING. maybe learn some recording techniques and invest your endless supply of cash into that ;)

16. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

Why does a player have to be great to discuss tone ?? Also most of the great players, especially these days, love to talk tone.

17. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

This is rubbish
    There are ALOT of people who will never, ever be famous rock musicians, who never wanted to write songs or even gig out, and who love their favorite music and the gear that made it. Some get into it to the point of obsessing over tubes and chips, while others just buy the best they can afford and leave it stock. Some can play great, while some are terrible, but most will fall somewhere in between. Some practice alot and some not much at all.
    If your ambition is to write great songs or be a rock star, then you would probably benefit more from working on songwriting or performing skills than researching your next gear aquisition, but realistically, how many here are hellbent on being the next big thing compared to those that just wanna impress their friends when they jam in the garage.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  18. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

Tom Morello is not at the top of my list of players from whom I want tone tips.

DC1 likes this.
  19. I am the Liquor

I am the Liquor Member

He is a gifted player. He could be creative with anything. Great gear is awesome and inspiring but it doesn't play itself.

20. spakuloid

spakuloid Member

What does he think about hats?