Tom Morello proclaims "gear doesn't matter"

Yeah, that could very well be it. A total misinformation campaign.

I may be mistaken but I thought in the interview I read about that guitar he said he tried a ton different parts on it and still couldnt make it sound the way he wanted to, but he was broke and sunk into the guitar so he just made it work.

He definitely seems like a clever enough dude to make up a BS story like that, EVH style.
I've seen him show how to play the octave solo parts with his whammy pedal, settings, notes, he showed it all. He doesn't care about that ****.

grb718

That is probably the single finest summary of the whole 'importance of gear' topic I've ever read. I mean that sincerely.
Aggree with Boo.

I dont like like much of Tom Morello's music but from what I
have heard from him as a person ( when he is not talking about music)
I respect his views and passion on various subjects.
He does seem to contradict himself though.
He says gear doesnt matter at all, then says we were playing on rented gear and sounded like crap.
Apparently in that instance the gear mattered alot

MrLahey

He's clearly pissed at Yall for snagging all the deals he cpuld have got on all the obscure stuff he once could find easily.
He's a great player with one big flaw. Like Kirk Hammet and his wah addiction Morellp is known as the whammy pedal man. You want screeches and squeals you call Morello. Wah your thing? Get Hammet. Both arw great players both stuck themselves in a niche. Very doubtful to be taken seriously because of it. I miss dinebag.....

Tony

I keep seeing posts in this thread that are variations of the same "without a whammy pedal he's nothing" theme.

Couldn't disagree more. Yeah, he uses the whammy. He's also written and performed a sh!t ton of crushing guitar riffs. RATM as a unit is some slamming, bada$$ rock and roll, and he plays a part in that.

I listen to Tom the same way I listen to EVH - yeah, the solos are cool, but the rhythm playing is where it's at. Grooving like mad and full of attitude.

If all you hear is the whammy then you're missing 80% of the song.

but this seems like a little intellectual dishonesty from a very smart dude.
nothing new there. the entire schtick of ratm was stick it to the man, fight the power, etc. all while working for sony and doing nike endorsements.

And to further address his point, why are there 5 pages of y'all (us?) parsing the musings of Mr. Morello? Don't you have music to make? Or, God forbid, gear to chase?

Also, I can't tell you how much I enjoy it when some folks log on to a thread just to say No. I don't like he/she/it. Taking time out of their day to crap in our corn flakes - how gauche. I can't.
and yet, guys who post this exact sentiment in nearly every thread never seem to grasp the irony of it

nothing new there. the entire schtick of ratm was stick it to the man, fight the power, etc. all while working for sony and doing nike endorsements.t
As a college professor said referring to Roger Waters: It's hard to take social commentary from a millionaire. IIRC Fugazi has managed to make a career and a bit of a living by avoiding the machine.

Cal Webway

Tom is indirectly saying, power to the lumpen proleteriat's Jay Tursers.
Been following his 'shining path' of guitar truth for decades

SnidelyWhiplash

Supporting Member
As a college professor said referring to Roger Waters: It's hard to take social commentary from a millionaire. IIRC Fugazi has managed to make a career and a bit of a living by avoiding the machine.
I would argue that it is even harder to take social commentary
from a college professor. :cool:

I keep seeing posts in this thread that are variations of the same "without a whammy pedal he's nothing" theme.

Couldn't disagree more. Yeah, he uses the whammy. He's also written and performed a sh!t ton of crushing guitar riffs. RATM as a unit is some slamming, bada$$ rock and roll, and he plays a part in that.

I listen to Tom the same way I listen to EVH - yeah, the solos are cool, but the rhythm playing is where it's at. Grooving like mad and full of attitude.

If all you hear is the whammy then you're missing 80% of the song.
If you had a Mount Rushmore of guitarists, Morello is absolutely deserving. One of the few, along with EVH and The Edge, who drastically changed the instrument and would people thought you could do with it.

I would argue that it is even harder to take social commentary
from a college professor. :cool:
Honestly it was a discussion of Pink Floyd at a frat party from an untenured History proff who was their advisor. So he was more operating as a fan with little job security right after the final cut came out.

At what point does worrying about my gear become classist elitism and reactionary capitalism. Should I not get a set up, change strings have a favorite or adjust my amp setting, should you even tune it ?. ...Being sarcastic but it is a slippery slope where to draw the line. Not having good gear never stopped me, I started on a 2.00 yard sale silvertone, so I think his argument is just retoric. People will do what they feel driven to do. If you give up because you don't have an R8 then you weren't meant to be here.

Last edited:

grb718

Social commentary from a millionaire is as relevant as anyone elses social commentary.
People sometimes think someone who is flush with cash somehow is lesser as far as social
relevance.
Got to consider the context of ones life, maybe the millionaire worked his butt off, rose from
modest means and helped others along the way. His commentary on social issues might be much
more relevant than the hard luck guy who never had a chance and is stuck on skid row and has a jaded point of view.
Like the old line about the starving artist and " suffering for your art"
Miles Davis wasnt a poor street kid who was suffering financially when he was learning to play.. and he did
some pretty compelling work.

Social commentary from a millionaire is as relevant as anyone elses social commentary.
People sometimes think someone who is flush with cash somehow is lesser as far as social
relevance.
Got to consider the context of ones life, maybe the millionaire worked his butt off, rose from
modest means and helped others along the way. His commentary on social issues might be much
more relevant than the hard luck guy who never had a chance and is stuck on skid row and has a jaded point of view.
Like the old line about the starving artist and " suffering for your art"
Miles Davis wasnt a poor street kid who was suffering financially when he was learning to play.. and he did
some pretty compelling work.

I think what you miss is the phrase hard to take, which I never thought of as an absolute rejection. So he did not fully reject their input. Listening to a guy rant about what is wrong gets a bit much and how they know better, Waters at the time was blaming certain leaders for every woe was the basis for this. What your saying seems more line with him, as in do the offer ideas suggestions and observation. Ultimately I think he was trying to get us to question and not accept.

Miles was well off but remember he was still a 2nd class citizen and treated worse in many places for most of his life.....maybe that why he was compelling or just touched by the gods

direwolf

Supporting Member
He had the balls to say to the band, " We are doing this". The thing most folks don't have the strength to make happen. Maybe the success hinges on the intelligence of the band to get on board.

The stadiums filled up and the rest is history.

NorCal_Val

His statement;
“My take on gear,” he says, “is that it does not matter—at all—ever—in any circumstance.”

I disagree.

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Gold Supporting Member
The bottom line is Morello is either a complete hypocrite phony, loves being steeped in irony, or is completely delusional. He's an ivy league educated millionaire rock star who tries to make himself out to be some working class hero everyman who is down with the people out there working their asses off every day. F'ing spare me. He went from straight from Harvard to Los Angeles and I seriously doubt his hands have ever seen any sort of manual labor, ever. The only callouses that phony motherf##ker has are on the ends of his guitar wanking fretting hand finger. He played shows at a Occupy Wall Street rally, then immediately went to a local trendy restaurant with a long wait and pulled the "don't you know who I am" routine on the staff when he couldn't get a seat immediately. When they weren't impressed and still didn't seat him, he went on Twitter and actually went on a dishonest politicized tantrum against the restaurant, accusing them of various BS, which the owner and his employees all countered and disproved. So, he doesn't get his way from a small business, and his response to attack them politically, with false claims via social media? Yeah, real swell guy. What a good little SJW.

He pulls the whole "down with capitalism" shtick and bitches about all the supposed "wrongs" of this country, all while reaping the benefits of it and raking in the cash. Does the dumbf#ck understand that it's this country and our system that allows him to do and say what he does, freely, without consequence? He walks around with the Communist symbols on his clothing and guitars, and uses images of Che Guevara on his t-shirts, amps, and stages...an ideology and person that contradicts the means through which Morello makes his money and has a free voice. Perhaps he should move to a country that is more in line with his ideology (one that has failed over and over, with it's results being nothing but poverty and oppressive governments) and see how it works out for him. He can take Micheal Moore and Sean Penn's asses with him when he goes, because they're all in the same stinking celebrity hypocrite boat.
Rather than accusing him of hypocrisy I'd suggest that what you describe displays both the inherent contradictions of people and also how much more imbedded and elastic ideological systems are. Morello is as much an American ideological subject as any of the rest of us who are American. His apparent inconsistency is a feature of what the subject constructed in an ideological structure looks like, and also an example of how it is not easy, if it is even possible, to step outside of one's ideological subject hood.

grb718

So you gonna buy his new cd?

Seriously though noise under the floor and I say this with no particular love or dislike for Tom Morello's music ( not my thing but lots of folks dig him);
Just because someone is financially successful and educated doesnt mean they cant empathize or sympathize with those less fortunate than they are.
So what if he has never seen manual labor, makes no difference to the idea that he has the right to express his opinion. Its Like saying the cancer doctor has no business treating cancer
patients because he has never been sick a day in his life.
He is correct in that there are alot of wrongs in this country, as in every civilized nation.
Just because one has proven to be successful on several levels within the context of a country's rules and established
social and economic parameters doesnt mean they cant complain, take action and have their voice heard.
Your point makes it seem like you have to be poor, uneducated and or unemployed to have an opinion
about these issues.
And to the often repeated idea of people who complain should move to another country is kind of childish.
Part of the greatness of this country is the freedom to complain, want change, express thoughts. Its a fluid, dynamic evolution that is ongoing.
I love living in America, I work , pay taxes, vote and sometimes I complain and there are things I would love to change
about this country. But thats the whole point. We are lucky to live in a place where we can be angry, yell and scream,
celebrate, play music, be political or not, worship or not

While I dont agree with Morello on alot things and maybe he is hypocritical at times, sometimes we all are a bit. I am
glad at least he cares enough to make his voice heard and though I disagree with you on most of what you said, I respect that you said it.. I just think youre wrong.
Peace

Last edited by a moderator: