Tom Morello proclaims "gear doesn't matter"

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by hellbender, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Silver Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    I greatly respect you A-Bone, but I don't like anything about the guy and what he preaches. It goes beyond hypocrisy.

2. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

Politics
    Now gear

What else can tm add to the list of tm opinions I could care less about

3. grb718

grb718 Member

You are pretty funny, wanna grab a beer sometime?

Noise Under The Floor likes this.
  4. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

I get his point, but coming from a guy who relies on effects and is sort of obsessive over guitar necks (supposedly tried 10 different necks on one guitar) this seems sort of a stupid comment!!!

BADHAK likes this.
  5. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

I think your name calling makes you lose some credibility, but I actually don't disagree with your overall assertion.

I once heard Morello refer to his band's sales as "moving units."

He strikes me a little bit intellectually elite. I don't know if he sees his hypocrisy or doesn't care. He's obviously aware he's part of the capitalism he rages against.

Say what you will about Bono, but he's out there putting his money where his mouth is: Africa, South America, Washington... He's well aware he's losing fans and street cred but feels the end cause is worth it. As a fan of U2, I am well aware of the band's own view of their role and the hypocrisy of what they do. They've made it in a way they are comfortable with. Same with Neil Young, Pearl Jam, or Third Eye Blind.

Morello strikes me as the newer generation of "hero" who think liking a face book post is activism. A lot of people seem to be outspoken about issues they don't understand. I know it's trendy to fight the man, but you hold yourself up to ridicule if you have any holes people can find.

It would be like me attacking people on here on climate change if I still drove a pickup, or bitching about the meat threads because I am a vegetarian (I'm not) with a closet full of leather shoes, etc.

6. s2y

s2y Member

I chuckled a little more than I should have. Che Guevara t-shirts, man. Freedom, amirate? Oh, he butchered people. My bad. ;)

7. Custom50

Custom50 Member

Basically what he's saying, at least how I read it, is just create the best songs you can with whatever you have. Which I agree with.

Anacharsis, M138, ccpa and 1 other person like this.
  8. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

Not sure I see U2's hypocrisy so much, maybe bad taste to go to a starving African country with 1000.00 shoes . I don't think Bono has said capitalism is wrong and Viva Che but people that have extra should share. U2 as far as I know never said level everyone or take it all away but help those in need. Morello comes across in his rhetoric as more of a down with the system guy. which makes him more a target and gives him more publicity which builds his career...Yep Harvard edumacation in action. Honestly till he did the protest performances and joined up with Bruce he was out of sight out of mind. I thought his career was as lively as Mic Abrams...

9. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

During Zooropa and after, U2 wanted to SOLVE problems.

Their manager, Paul McGuiness, got upset because he said the band had agreed early the artists job was to point out problems but not solve them.

Early on, a lot of people thought U2's religious beliefs made being in a huge band impossible. U2 deliberately destroyed their image in the 90s, which even the band didn't agree on. Now, Bono mingling with world leaders has created issues.

I think that's the hypocrisy Bono mentions sometimes, a mega rich rock star fighting for the poor. But he seems to have come to terms with the contradiction.

Spooky Action and A-Bone like this.
  10. beautiful liar

beautiful liar Member

Well, you just broke a bunch of forum rules there. But since you brought it up, that ideology seems to be working for Sweden.

11. Noise Under The Floor

I think you have Sweden confused with Cuba and Venezuela, and you have me confused with someone who gives a s#!t. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  12. Noise Under The Floor

I wasn't name calling. I was using appropriately descriptive adjectives. ;)

13. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Last night, I sat in with a band ar a club in Philly, and plugged straight into one of the house amps, a Pro Junior - a far cry from the Matchless Chieftain that I normally gig through. The band's guitarist was playing through a Vibro King.

And you know what? We both sounded pretty much like ourselves.

JCM 800 and Spooky Action like this.
  14. Seth L

Seth L Member

That's the bottom line.

Anacharsis, RTM1216 and Custom50 like this.
  15. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Would "gear doesn't matter" be more believable coming from someone who uses Peavey or First Act gear?

Custom50 likes this.
  16. Spooky Action

Spooky Action Member

I am not a fan of Morello.
    I always thought his communist symbolism was to be provocative, not literal.
    I was once annoyed by Bono's hypocrisy, but I know now that was a knee-jerk reaction. He is humbling himself before people, not holding himself up.

I believe Tom Morello is saying to prioritize music over gear if you are a musical artist. If you are a collector instead of musician reverse that order. All the other noise is just muddying the water about this. But it is a good opportunity to tee up on him. He makes himself vulnerable to it by being vocal and a provocateur.

Anacharsis and A-Bone like this.
  17. Custom50

Custom50 Member

I would definitely agree with that, but to be fair, he does use pretty stock stuff. JCM 800, MIM Tele, partscaster, etc.

18. seajay

seajay Member

I'm pretty sure the speaker cabinet that he has been using forever is a Peavey.

Custom50 and JCM 800 like this.
  19. ccpa

ccpa Member

Panties. Wads. Who gives a sh!t, play what inspires you.

20. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

Am I the only one who doesn't understand this thread? Some guy says buying gear is overrated for improving one's music? Is that what people are upset about? I don't get it. Is that supposed to be controversial or something?

Anacharsis and rizla like this.