Tom Morello proclaims "gear doesn't matter"

Noise Under The Floor

Gold Supporting Member
Rather than accusing him of hypocrisy I'd suggest that what you describe displays both the inherent contradictions of people and also how much more imbedded and elastic ideological systems are. Morello is as much an American ideological subject as any of the rest of us who are American. His apparent inconsistency is a feature of what the subject constructed in an ideological structure looks like, and also an example of how it is not easy, if it is even possible, to step outside of one's ideological subject hood.
I greatly respect you A-Bone, but I don't like anything about the guy and what he preaches. It goes beyond hypocrisy.

grb718

Will I buy his CD? Not only no, but F##K NO. I've never bought anything of his. You're entitled to think I'm wrong, but you've completely missed my point (and his for that matter) anyway. I've said what I needed to say here about that a##hole and that's all. Carry on. Viva La Commie Rock lovers.
You are pretty funny, wanna grab a beer sometime?

markjsmith

I get his point, but coming from a guy who relies on effects and is sort of obsessive over guitar necks (supposedly tried 10 different necks on one guitar) this seems sort of a stupid comment!!!

TheGuildedAge

The bottom line is Morello is either a complete hypocrite phony, loves being steeped in irony, or is completely delusional.
Will I buy his CD? Not only no, but F##K NO. I've never bought anything of his. You're entitled to think I'm wrong, but you've completely missed my point (and his for that matter) anyway. I've said what I needed to say here about that a##hole and that's all. Carry on. Viva La Commie Rock lovers.
I think your name calling makes you lose some credibility, but I actually don't disagree with your overall assertion.

I once heard Morello refer to his band's sales as "moving units."

He strikes me a little bit intellectually elite. I don't know if he sees his hypocrisy or doesn't care. He's obviously aware he's part of the capitalism he rages against.

Say what you will about Bono, but he's out there putting his money where his mouth is: Africa, South America, Washington... He's well aware he's losing fans and street cred but feels the end cause is worth it. As a fan of U2, I am well aware of the band's own view of their role and the hypocrisy of what they do. They've made it in a way they are comfortable with. Same with Neil Young, Pearl Jam, or Third Eye Blind.

Morello strikes me as the newer generation of "hero" who think liking a face book post is activism. A lot of people seem to be outspoken about issues they don't understand. I know it's trendy to fight the man, but you hold yourself up to ridicule if you have any holes people can find.

It would be like me attacking people on here on climate change if I still drove a pickup, or bitching about the meat threads because I am a vegetarian (I'm not) with a closet full of leather shoes, etc.

s2y

Morello strikes me as the newer generation of "hero" who think liking a face book post is activism. A lot of people seem to be outspoken about issues they don't understand. I know it's trendy to fight the man, but you hold yourself up to ridicule if you have any holes people can find.
I chuckled a little more than I should have. Che Guevara t-shirts, man. Freedom, amirate? Oh, he butchered people. My bad. ;)

sixty2strat

Not sure I see U2's hypocrisy so much, maybe bad taste to go to a starving African country with 1000.00 shoes . I don't think Bono has said capitalism is wrong and Viva Che but people that have extra should share. U2 as far as I know never said level everyone or take it all away but help those in need. Morello comes across in his rhetoric as more of a down with the system guy. which makes him more a target and gives him more publicity which builds his career...Yep Harvard edumacation in action. Honestly till he did the protest performances and joined up with Bruce he was out of sight out of mind. I thought his career was as lively as Mic Abrams...

TheGuildedAge

Not sure I see U2's hypocrisy so much, maybe bad taste to go to a starving African country with 1000.00 shoes . I don't think Bono has said capitalism is wrong and Viva Che but people that have extra should share. U2 as far as I know never said level everyone or take it all away but help those in need. Morello comes across in his rhetoric as more of a down with the system guy. which makes him more a target and gives him more publicity which builds his career...Yep Harvard edumacation in action. Honestly till he did the protest performances and joined up with Bruce he was out of sight out of mind. I thought his career was as lively as Mic Abrams...
During Zooropa and after, U2 wanted to SOLVE problems.

Their manager, Paul McGuiness, got upset because he said the band had agreed early the artists job was to point out problems but not solve them.

Early on, a lot of people thought U2's religious beliefs made being in a huge band impossible. U2 deliberately destroyed their image in the 90s, which even the band didn't agree on. Now, Bono mingling with world leaders has created issues.

I think that's the hypocrisy Bono mentions sometimes, a mega rich rock star fighting for the poor. But he seems to have come to terms with the contradiction.

The bottom line is Morello is either a complete hypocrite phony, loves being steeped in irony, or is completely delusional. He's an ivy league educated millionaire rock star who tries to make himself out to be some working class hero everyman who is down with the people out there working their asses off every day. F'ing spare me. He went from straight from Harvard to Los Angeles and I seriously doubt his hands have ever seen any sort of manual labor, ever. The only callouses that phony motherf##ker has are on the ends of his guitar wanking fretting hand finger. He played shows at a Occupy Wall Street rally, then immediately went to a local trendy restaurant with a long wait and pulled the "don't you know who I am" routine on the staff when he couldn't get a seat immediately. When they weren't impressed and still didn't seat him, he went on Twitter and actually went on a dishonest politicized tantrum against the restaurant, accusing them of various BS, which the owner and his employees all countered and disproved. So, he doesn't get his way from a small business, and his response to attack them politically, with false claims via social media? Yeah, real swell guy. What a good little SJW.

He pulls the whole "down with capitalism" shtick and bitches about all the supposed "wrongs" of this country, all while reaping the benefits of it and raking in the cash. Does the dumbf#ck understand that it's this country and our system that allows him to do and say what he does, freely, without consequence? He walks around with the Communist symbols on his clothing and guitars, and uses images of Che Guevara on his t-shirts, amps, and stages...an ideology and person that contradicts the means through which Morello makes his money and has a free voice. Perhaps he should move to a country that is more in line with his ideology (one that has failed over and over, with it's results being nothing but poverty and oppressive governments) and see how it works out for him. He can take Micheal Moore and Sean Penn's asses with him when he goes, because they're all in the same stinking celebrity hypocrite boat.
Well, you just broke a bunch of forum rules there. But since you brought it up, that ideology seems to be working for Sweden.

Dave Orban

Last night, I sat in with a band ar a club in Philly, and plugged straight into one of the house amps, a Pro Junior - a far cry from the Matchless Chieftain that I normally gig through. The band's guitarist was playing through a Vibro King.

And you know what? We both sounded pretty much like ourselves.

Spooky Action

I am not a fan of Morello.
I always thought his communist symbolism was to be provocative, not literal.
I was once annoyed by Bono's hypocrisy, but I know now that was a knee-jerk reaction. He is humbling himself before people, not holding himself up.

I believe Tom Morello is saying to prioritize music over gear if you are a musical artist. If you are a collector instead of musician reverse that order. All the other noise is just muddying the water about this. But it is a good opportunity to tee up on him. He makes himself vulnerable to it by being vocal and a provocateur.

Custom50

Would "gear doesn't matter" be more believable coming from someone who uses Peavey or First Act gear?
I would definitely agree with that, but to be fair, he does use pretty stock stuff. JCM 800, MIM Tele, partscaster, etc.

Am I the only one who doesn't understand this thread? Some guy says buying gear is overrated for improving one's music? Is that what people are upset about? I don't get it. Is that supposed to be controversial or something?

Trending Topics