Tom Morello proclaims "gear doesn't matter"

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by hellbender, Aug 5, 2016.

1. s2y

s2y Member

What were your thoughts on hearing The White Stripes for the first time? I'll disclose that I'm about as far from their target audience as possible. The squeaky, pitchy vocals reminded me of a few gnarly auditions. The guitar tone made grunge seem over processed. I thought there was no way it would catch on, but I was way wrong.

JiveTurkey likes this.
  2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

He should give his gear away then and only use Mexican Squire Strats and Crate SS amps.

mojocaster.com and Buzzard Luck like this.
  3. Buzzard Luck

Buzzard Luck Member

For a guy who's been paid well to make beep beep woo woo sounds on the electric guitar totally dependent upon his Digitech whammy pedal this is just a bunch of nonsense and malarkey.

4. Buzzard Luck

Buzzard Luck Member

This product description seems to say it all:

THE LEGEND GETS BETTER OVER TIME.

The legendary Whammy pedal is the premier pitch-shifting pedal for any guitarist’s board, and it only gets better with time. In addition to the classic Whammy sound, we’ve added chordal Whammy pitch-shifting and true bypass.

Whammy artists have won over 60 Grammys® using its unique pitch-shifting sound to enhance their music. Its songs echo the hallways of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame® and generate acclaim on over 700 million albums around the world. There is no doubt why Whammy is one of the most common sights on guitarists’ pedalboards.

The Whammy can bring new depth to your artistry. Turn your solo into raging, rebellious screams of tone or tame your crowd with highly expressive, ambient chordal bends. Energize your audience with a scratchy note frenzy, bring them in and out of the sound tunnel with musical bursts, or carry them through an existential exploration of full-fretboard pitch translation. The Whammy puts expression into the expression pedal.

Don't be the last guitarist without a Whammy!

5. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Gear doesn't matter, tone does.

6. wetordry

wetordry Member

Raging against the manufacturers and telling the interviewer he's part of it?
    Maybe he's right in some ways.

7. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

I'm no RATM fan....that music really isn't for me though I can appreciate it. Morello has no sound that I would want for the music I make. Still, I find it funny with the complaints here about his tone.

What guitar tone would make RATM's sound better? Would that music be better if Morello was rocking a big, fat SRV Fender and Tube Screamer sound? Or maybe Clapton's Beano tone? Or would it be best if he had a classic Vox and Gretsch sound? What the would be the point of that music and that band if it was toeing the sonic line acceptable to a bunch of guy playing blues based rock and pop?

I've actually listened to a fair amount of RATM in the last 24 hours because of this thread and I'm a bit mystified by the hate for Morello's sound. It clearly works with that music and there isn't a different guitar sound that I think would be inherently better.

Anacharsis, StonieSlagg and JCM 800 like this.
  8. catironcat

catironcat Member

When Your sound is as processed as Tom Morello`s maybe gear does become less relevant.:D

9. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I'm not sure it matters that much about cabinets....its not like he's gigging a 5150 or a Special 130.....

10. great-case.com

great-case.com a.k.a. "Mitch"

Some say that Nothing Matters. Relevance = 0 is a philosophical axiom that many of us carry as a weapon of self defense. Apathy = ∞ solves a lot of problems. Relevance < 0 is an interesting situation, and one I believe we have found here.

Great man, great musician, but as a stateman for musical significance, Tom is antiMatter.

11. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Member

I got to page 2 and stopped, because the point seems to have slid over a lot of heads. He's not specifically talking about YOUR gear.

It boils down to this:

Creative people are always creative, regardless of what's in their hands.

Uncreative people will never sound good, even on $15K worth of guitar and amp.

Tom Morello is a creative genius.

In film, John Waters is a genius on a shoe string budget. Michael Bay is a hack with $250 million in CGI budget.

Creativity finds a way:

arem, Anacharsis, Nevets and 3 others like this.
  12. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

I respect tom in that he has used the same gear for over 20 years basically. Heck I've probably changed my gear and guitars more in the last 15 years than he!

He kind of contradicts himself when he says he didn't love the rented gear he used, but from what I know of GP is they edit interviews so much, it looks a bit choppy. Honestly haven't picked up a guitar mag in years....

13. Mystix

Mystix Silver Supporting Member

If Morello had great tone - I would care what he had to say.

BADHAK likes this.
  14. sinasl1

sinasl1 Supporting Member

So many people seem to have missed the point on this – what he is simply trying to say is:
    You work with whatever gear you've got. You will write songs with that gear, that works with that gear, and you will learn how to play with that gear and come up with things that sound good on it. If you have different gear, you will still be creative and come up with stuff but it might be different stuff, not less valid stuff, just different.

Yes he uses effects but it's the same ones he's had forever and also he used the same amps. cab, and guitars forever. I think he's basically saying maximize the tones with whatever you have and don't worry about it beyond that.

Anacharsis, dzo, Crowder and 4 others like this.
  15. sinasl1

sinasl1 Supporting Member

I should add, this is really only applicable to guitarists in original bands, that don't have to, for example, replicate tones from albums exactly, or at least closely, like you do on many side man or cover gigs. Also obviously if you are a studio guy you will need to have a wider palette tonally.

When I played his Audioslave songs with Chris Cornell, I had to get a whammy. :) so the gear mattered in that instance...

16. hellbender

hellbender Member

Think about what his life must be like, when all his fans seem more interested in his gear than his music. As if he is secondary to the gear. That's what I think doesn't come out in the article very well.

17. seajay

seajay Member

Ooh...I love goalpost moving!

18. Glass Onion

Glass Onion Toneful truth seeker. Gold Supporting Member

Steve Vai and The Edge totaly agree with him.
    And David Gilmour is right on board as well.

But seriously. I agree his point was dont let not having something keep you from being creative.

Dick Dale. Punch holes in the speaker with a pencil. Get there however you have to to get it where you want it.

Anacharsis likes this.
  19. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I know what you're saying, but is there really all that much difference between different brands of 4/12 cabinets?

seajay likes this.
  20. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

Who let McCarthy in here?