Tom Petty early/mid 90's tones

jcmark611

Nope - just the early '60s ones do. The mid '60s have either 7868s or 7591As which sound pretty different. I should have clarified, sorry.
Thanks. You say 6v6s make all the difference, what about used Deluxe Reverbs? (Assuming I'd pay the price)

wingwalker

Fuzzy Guitars
Tom was way into blond Bassman amps during that time and mike was using AC-30's, BF Deluxe Reverbs and SS Kustom amps as well as blond Bassmans himself...add to that the typical Petty/Campbell guitar collection and you're on your way.

Effects...not too much truth be told...around that time Mike was seen with a wah, a Rat a Danelctro OD and various delay pedals plus a Vibrotone Cab (often driven by the Deluxe Reverb. Tom used a Tubscreamer from time to time before switching to the Red Llama and I've also seen him with Boss chorus, delay and reverb pedals as well...

erksin

Thanks. You say 6v6s make all the difference, what about used Deluxe Reverbs? (Assuming I'd pay the price)
Not the same thing, tonally. Too polite, not enough snarling midrange. It's more a tweed-style breakup than a BF type. The Jet is closer to a 5E3 as is the 1482.

wingwalker

Fuzzy Guitars
I used to have a 1960 Jet and there were some Petty/Campbell ish tones in there but I think the blond Bassmans (and maybe the AC-30s) are the meat and potatoes of that era...

zztomato

I used to have a 1960 Jet and there were some Petty/Campbell ish tones in there but I think the blond Bassmans (and maybe the AC-30s) are the meat and potatoes of that era...
I had a 59 jet and it could never get mean enough. It has the 6SL7 pre-amp tubes which are more mellow. They're great sounding amps for some things and had a nice tremolo as well but not the same as a 5E3.

jcmark611

That's understandable, but what would you recommend for someone who cannot afford Blonde Bassmans or AC-30s?

wingwalker

Fuzzy Guitars
I had a 59 jet and it could never get mean enough. It has the 6SL7 pre-amp tubes which are more mellow. They're great sounding amps for some things and had a nice tremolo as well but not the same as a 5E3.
Mine had 6SL7's too...crank it, add a little boost and it would do those Petty type tones but it never sounded like a 5E3 to me and it never had the punch Tom gets a lot but if you pumped it into a 2x12 it helped!

wingwalker

Fuzzy Guitars
That's understandable, but what would you recommend for someone who cannot afford Blonde Bassmans or AC-30s?
Saving up...

I know that sounds stupid but I'm serious...I mean if a blonde Bassman or AC-30 is too much amp in terms of volume then maybe an AC-15 or a smaller blonde/brown Fender but those amps are pretty signature tones and not much else really sounds like them.

I have a brown Deluxe and it'snot as loud, clean or punchy as a blonde Bassman but the essence of the tone is still there.

If the price is too much then save up and get one...it'll take longer than just buying a cheeper amp tomorrow but it'll be worth it in the end.

Another Petty approved amp is a tweed Deluxe which is what Mike used on the entire first album and Tom used a Super Six so thats tweed Fender and Blackface/Silverface Fender...clones or those are less expensive and will at least get you in the ball park.

The key to all these tones are simply amps that are old or old style, cranked a little and played thru with good sounding guitars by skilled players...I'd stay away form modern voiced high gain amps but past that almost anything goes.

jcmark611

But, would you gig with amps that expensive when you don't have a way to easily replace them if they are stolen?

Don Rusk

BearFoot FX Owner
Vendor
of course Im biased - but especially if your worried about cost and size - there are some really good pedals that nail those tones into any good solid clean amp ...

straightblues

Well when Mike plays songs from the era today, he uses a Tweed Deluxe and a Black Face Princeton to do it live. So that might be a good place to start.

wingwalker

Fuzzy Guitars
But, would you gig with amps that expensive when you don't have a way to easily replace them if they are stolen?
I do it...I've always saved up and bought the gear I really wanted and I do gig with it and if something were to happen to it I'd be in a bad spot but that risk is part of the game I guess.

Pablomago

Old thread revised here.

I have a late '90's AC-15. Plug in a '52 RI Tele or a Rickenbacker 12 string and it's instant Tom Petty.

bdm

Silver Supporting Member
I think a vintage Ampeg Jet or Silvertone 1482 goes a long way to copping that era - you can usually find either one of those for $500 or less. A 12" speaker and 6V6s are key, IMO.
I actually did a Heartbreakers cover gig with a Tele into a Silvertone 1482 and it was damn spot on.

Trending Topics