Tom Petty's Music.......

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by 2HBStrat, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, I never got a "pro drug" vibe from TP. Not sure what that's about.

2. frickengruvin

frickengruvin Silver Supporting Member

I had 5th row center seats for his recent show at the Golden 1 Center, and I took about 300 pictures, most of which were of him and Mike and the instruments they played. there was a partition that separated me from some of the crowd where I was standing, and I swear he looked at me at the beginning of every song (every song he had a different instrument), noticing I was taking pictures (which I would at the beginning of the tune, then get involved with the tune itself). EVERY song, he'd move to that "open" area, look right at me, wait for me to take a couple shots, and move on. After the third song , I motioned to him with a thank you, and he acknowledged that with a shake of his head, but continued to do that the entire show.
    A great show for sure, but, it felt as though there was a serious connection, as it continued every song the entire show....
    Mike was the same way....
    What a great connection-these guys really appreciate their fan base...

jens5, beanbass and strike3 like this.
  3. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

The Heartbreakers are too good a band to just stop. I could also see them backing someone else, but I would love to see them carry on with their own material. Time will tell. It's their decision.

I also dislike Jeff Lynn's music and production sensibilities and wish Petty had never gotten involved with him.

I spent the day in the car listening to Echo, an album I never truly appreciated. I was knocked out by "Swingin,'" "Billy The Kid," and many others. I think that was one of the band's sleeper records.

My kids asked me last night if I had ever met Tom, and unfortunately, I never did, but I did meet and talk with Mike in 2007 when he played the Viper Room with the Dirty Knobs. He's one of my favorite guitarists.

BADHAK likes this.
  4. loudboy

loudboy Member

Tom liked weed, as did probably 90% of other musicians of his generation. He'd make a reference now and then, to cheers from the crowd, but I also have never seen a wider demographic at any concert, except maybe McCartney. Young and old, all digging it.

Much more prevalent among the Dead/jam band scene, which he wasn't a big fan of, as far as I can tell.

Musically, it would be hard to find a rock band that played better, while still remaining true to their rock and roll roots, IMHO. As individual players and especially as a group, they were at the top of the heap.

The finesse and dynamics they show here are absolutely amazing:

Blaqhat and strike3 like this.
  5. Route234

Route234 Member

I loved all the eras of Toms music. I loved the Jeff Lynne stuff and the Wilburys stuff too. TGP always gets so stuck on being negative. Tom wrote so many great songs with or without Jeff Lynne, and no one ruined anything he did. Ive seen him live many times since the 80s and his catalog of music is strong as anyone's no matter who is producing and his later stuff with and without Jeff Lynne is as good as anything he ever did, period. But leave it to TGP to declare an era of his music as not worthy of TGP. Next we will argue over which guitar he played had better tone or some other such nonsense that no one else cares at all about.

6. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

I don't think TGP is alone in being critical of the Lynne produced stuff than other parts of his catalog.

From the "33 1/3 Rules of Rock and Roll" contained in the book The Worst Rock and Roll Records of All Time:

"24. Do not hang out with Jeff Lynne or Dave Stewart. They will produce your record, you will have to take part in periodic psychedelic revivals, and you'll start dressing like them. Do you want to wear a paisley vest and cowboy boots that badly?"

BADHAK likes this.
  7. Route234

Route234 Member

Not buying it. They were his most popular albums and contained numerous hits. I saw him many times and he played a lot of those tunes live and the crowds loved them. The Lynne albums and the Wilburys were easily among Toms most popular works. No way to argue that. TGP does this all the time with a lot of artists. Only certain songs, certain periods, certain tones or guitars are deemed worthy of TGP adulation.

2HBStrat likes this.
  8. BK Verbs

BK Verbs Silver Supporting Member

4 chords and the truth.

That is what Tom Petty means to me.

jens5 likes this.
  9. A-Bone

You're not buying what, that some people besides TGP members are less fond of those albums than others by Petty? The guys who wrote the book from which I pulled the quote were professional music writers. Even from that quote it seems like they likewise are not overly fond of Jeff Lynne.

BADHAK likes this.
  10. Route234

Route234 Member

Not buying what you and others are selling. TGP and a quote or two do not put a dent in any of my points about Toms albums with Lynne. Its such a TGP thing to have to quantify why you like Petty and to have to further quantify that you do not like the Lynne period as if that period is some kind of apparition when to most Petty fans its one of the most highly regarded and popular periods he ever had. Like to keep your bonafides with the TGP quilting circle you have to put down an entire period of his career.

11. A-Bone

I certainly don't have to do any of that. I remain wholly agnostic regarding producers or periods in Tom Petty's recording career. I was just offering supporting evidence for the proposition that there is a genuine minority that dislikes Lynne as a producer. I figured using a widely circulated, professionally published text from two non-TGP members would support the contention.

12. Route234

Route234 Member

And Ill point that out 2 of his top 3 non greatest hits albums were Lynne and his most popular non greatest hits album was with Lynne. There are always haters, legit or not. I just find this to be another TGPism. You cant like Fleetwood Mac with Lindsey Buckingham or you cant like Genesis with Phil Collins singing or you cant like Claptons strat tone over his LP tone, etc. So many of them here its hard to keep track. We are like hipsters here.

13. rwmct

rwmct Member

I am the opposite. Live, I will always want a cover over another tune from the regular catalog. It is always very interesting to see which tunes my favorite artists want to cover and how they do them. Much more interesting than just another hit. I can hear those on the radio or the record, especially if they do them like they are on the records.

boo radley likes this.
  14. loudboy

loudboy Member

I do too, but his obsession with "Shout" in the '90s was a little too much. I'd generally head to the car to avoid traffic. <g>

This Soundstage is really great - shows a much different side, and there's some really cool covers:

Crowder likes this.
  15. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

Loved the first 3 albums , liked The Waiting and Pack Up The Plantation but not much of a fan of anything after that. Hate what Jeff Lynne and Dave Stewart bought to the table. Will have to listen to his more recent albums one day but I doubt they will touch the genius of those first 3.

Crowder likes this.
  16. Coli

Coli Supporting Member

My modern Great American Songbook=Dylan, Springsteen, and Petty

beanbass likes this.
  17. neils

neils Member

MOJO is a great record. Listen ton"Good Enough". Campbell's solo is outstanding even for him. That record was recorded with his Burst as the guiding tone. It's heralded throughout

Neil

2HBStrat and AceBSpankin like this.
  18. beanbass

beanbass Member

Thanks for the warning.

19. beanbass

beanbass Member

Are your shots viewable online somewhere? I'm sure a few of us would love to see them.

jens5 likes this.
  20. m1911

m1911 Member

This is my favorite Petty tune.....
    It's all in here....Howie on Bass (RIP) and Campbell on guitar.....
    Fillmore West DVD....