Tom Ribbecke.....

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Jack Briggs, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

2. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

Ohh.. wish I could do something.. I would LOVE to own one of his instruments..

3. s.tuliebitz

s.tuliebitz quit smeckin' around

Anyone know: does Mr. Ribbecke have a PayPal account?

I'm more than willing to send a $20 gift payment... If 1% of TGP's membership would do the same, he'd almost be at 20% of the requirement...
    IMO this is a rare opportunity for us to directly support an artist [in-need] representing something that brings a lot of us together on TGP. I'm in.

PS- thanks for the heads up, Jack!

4. Route234

Route234 Member

The article I read had him looking for investors, not hand outs. He is trying to buy a piece of land, he is not in need of money for a tragedy or anything. I love his guitars and I respect Mr Briggs as well, but I dont think that the guy is asking for people to send him money.

5. s.tuliebitz

"Ribbecke said he has about $100,000 saved, but is seeking help from an equity partner, individual donors or other contributors to secure the purchase."

While I can't say whether or not he is 'looking for hand outs', I imagine that with less than 3 weeks until he loses the property any possible fundraising would be welcome...

Yes maybe this is an ignorant suggestion on my part... just willing to be an 'individual donor' if my meager support would be welcome (which admittedly, it may not).
    If others thought similarly and smaller gifts were appreciated, it could actually make a difference.

Also I do not think Mr. Briggs is asking people to send him money by any means. Sorry if I've derailed as well as suggested ignorantly...

6. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

I sympathize with his predicament, and I am sure it would be difficult (and expensive) to relocate his operations, as well as delay manufacturing and other plans.

However, I think the reporter's slant is a little dramatic. He's not losing his property. You cannot lose something you don't own.

His lease is running out, and the property will be for sale. Who knows how long it will take to sell - nothing in the article indicated that a sale was pending. Hopefully he can rent month-to-month until he is able to get the funds together. I wish him the best.

7. Route234

Route234 Member

You dont owe me or anyone else an apology. Your heart is in the right place! If you want to give the guy money its a free country. He had an email address in the article.....

8. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

I attended the Healdsburg party this year and can attest to the special nature of the property. If this is where Tom has done the best work of his life, then I hope he can hang onto it. If you've talked to Tom or know the background of Ribbecke Guitar Corp., then you know he's a guy who helps others. If you can think of anyone who might help out by buying a guitar or investing, please let them know of this situation.

9. esiegel

esiegel Member

FWIW, I spoke to Tom today. I don't really know him personally, but after our conversation, I felt like I had made a new friend. One of the options is commissioning one of his final 25, but he is open to other investment options as well. From what he said, people are rallying around and he sounded optimistic. He is as interested in finding ways to continue his teaching and public engagement, and I am hoping I can help with that as well, as I have a long professional background in education and public service. As I said, I felt like I had made a new friend. I hope this anxious time yields new opportunities for him and his work.

10. artguy47

artguy47 Ol' CuRmUGeOn

Article didn't load, but I'd be willing to donate...?

11. Dekel Bor

Dekel Bor Member

this is very very important-
    i called and placed an order today.

his work is rare, and has to go on

12. korby

korby Member

Vacant buildings in town probably leasing real cheap these days .

13. clemduolian

clemduolian Silver Supporting Member

Kickstarter project? Seems like a good fit...music, guitars, education....

14. TDJMB

Time is getting short. Anyone know Oprah?

15. s.tuliebitz

16. TDJMB