• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Tom Scholz Power Soak

ibenhad

I bought one of these back in the day and used it with one of my old Marshalls. I want to try it again. Are these things any good? How do they compare to a hotplate or airbrake?

Rosewood

I had one and I guess it worked ok however back in the day there was not much to compare it to. I think it was a fairly simple L-pad and may have not been the best for matching impedance, don't know for sure. Is Sholz still in business?

WaltC

They work ok, but many don't like the tone effect (tend to kill some of the highs more or less depending on the "level" that is set).

They carry all the same "hazards" as any other resistive load-type attenuator, but as long as you're aware of the shortcomings and are careful you should be ok.

I've used one off and on with good luck, but use an Airbrake now when I need to attenuate an amp.

FloridaSam

I picked one of these up cheap a few months ago and have been pleasently surprised. I find it does darken things up a bit when attenuated really low... that said if I kick on a treble booster its one the most killer tones I've heard.

Like I said, I got mine cheap. I would try yours since you have it.... I just wouldn't reccomend someone spending more that $100 for one.

ibenhad

Well as long as it wont blow up my amp I'll try it... Used to really like it with my 50 watt Marshalls. Thanks guys...

imguitardan

I had one and thought it sucked. It was a while ago though so I don't remember why. I just remember not liking it.

Trending Topics