Tom Verlaine - Dumble!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RickC, Apr 18, 2008.

1. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

I was browsing in Border's books last night and stumbled upon yet-another-must-have addition to the library, a book called "Guitar Heaven". As I told my gf, the next best thing to buying another guitar is buying another book full of pictures of guitars :)

http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Heaven...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208533427&sr=8-1

In any event, that's a topic for another thread. What I wanted to post about was a photo I saw in this book, about page 59 or so, of Tom Verlaine, white Jaguar(!?) in hand, playing through a Dumble Overdrive Special. Not something you see every day.

I searched online and could not find that picture, but I did find one that looks like it's from the same show. The amplifer is much less clear in this one, but if you look closely you can make out "SPECIAL" on the faceplate.

[​IMG]

/rick

2. jgyn

jgyn Member

That seems so un-'punk'!
    :
    )

3. brittab

brittab Member

wow, cool post.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

holy crap!!!

awesome find! but man, that's like seeing thurston moore use an alessandro or something.

not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)

5. ed84246

ed84246 Member

Probably just a battered up silver face twin or 50 watt Marshall done up to look like a Dumble to f*** w/ people like us...

6. phoebus

phoebus Member

Television was the original punk/jam band.

7. gilmutt

gilmutt Member

8. seiko

seiko Member

I wouldn't read too much into it. He used one for a short while in the early to mid-80s I believe. Was already using one of those Jim Kelley things for touring by 84-85.

99 percent of Television and Tom Verlaine's recorded output is down to Fender Super Reverbs, Vox AC30s and ampeg V4s. he uses a tube PA head for solo touring now and a AC30 RI with television.

Sounds almost exactly the same through anything.