1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Tom Waits guitar sounds?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SonicVI, Aug 12, 2008.

1. SonicVI

SonicVI Member

Anybody know any pedals that can do a that ragged Tom Waits kinda distorted tone like in Hoist That Rag?

2. iaresee

iaresee Member

I always thought that was a Champ on 10.

3. Craise

Craise Member

4. E Baxter Put

E Baxter Put Member

A small valco type amp and an older Harmony or other guitar with Dearmond pickups will get you most of the way there.

But if you're looking for pedals... maybe a low gain fuzz like a tonebender with the guitar volume rolled down.

5. saggybottom

saggybottom Member

+1 on a small valco or champ. If you dig that tone also check out rick holmstroms stuff. :BEER

6. SonicVI

SonicVI Member

I figured it was a small older tube amp and some kind of esoteric cheap old guitar. I saw him in June in Houston but I couldn't see anything that his guitar player was using. Tom only played that little Airline looking electric.

7. rollo greb

rollo greb Member

His name is Marc Ribot and he's awesome. :)

8. Medication

Medication Member

Saw him back in June in Arizona (possibly the hottest city on earth).

Waits was using a Stratotone H44 through a vibrochamp (as well as the other guitarist...can't remember his name off of the top of my head right now, but it wasn't ribot). Tom was getting a great tone by playing with his thumb and fingers (no pick, definitely a big part of that tone) and a slight tremolo.

I've seen Ribot use everything from doofy silvertone hollowbodies, to an ES-175, and a Tele. Most of the time I've seen him using a silverface twin, but I've also seen him using vibrochamps, princetons, deluxe reverbs.
    His pedalboard varies as well. A buttload of pedals, couple Line 6 modelers or nothing at all.

I get a pretty convincing "Hoist" tone with a P-90 semihollow through my Supro Model 50 or other "grittier" Waits-style tones with a germ. fuzz face through a cranked Supro a-la Heart Attack and Vine. I think it's also important to note the overall "roomy" production on "Hoist" maybe a slightly cranked pre on that, who knows, it sure does sound good though :AOK

9. sandman

sandman Member

dunno about hoist that rag but Duke Robillard's rig with Tom on Letterman and/or Conan was Bad Monkey, Echo Park, Blues Jr for one show and Princeton for the other....and some hollowbody P90 Gibson for a guitar...I think Tom was playing a silverface deluxe reverb pretty much clean with some trem...

10. Dandy13

Dandy13 Member

+1
    and much love for tom waits

11. smogfalls

smogfalls Member

Tom Waits is my hero! I've started threads on this same topic before. I'll see if I can find em'...

Here's one I started over on HC over 3 years ago!...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=937599highlight=ribot

Oh and here's a picture of Marc Ribot with a mass of wires and pedals!!...

[​IMG]

Oh and at one point, this was DEFINATELY his pedal setup...

Radial Hot British - Vox Wah - Fuzz Factory - EH Deluxe Memory Man - Mutron III Auto Wah - Fender Twin & Fender Deluxe Reverb

Hope this helps.
    Xan :)

12. seiko

seiko Member

Most likely a stratotone -- RAT -- Fender tube amp, but, as noted, Ribot changes stuff a lot and Waits apparently digs old Ampeg Jets for recording.

13. aram

aram Member

i've played with Ribot a bunch of times- and his setup changes like the moon.

but he usually uses a deluxe reverb.

recently sold him my King of Tone pedal, which he seemed to like quite a bit.

14. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

curious. . . which version KOT?

15. paraedolia

paraedolia Member

That's not a pedal setup, that's a music store!
    One thing I don't see in there are the balloons!
    Marc Ribot is fantastic; I only really became aware of him recently, but he's sure a unique and esoteric player.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  16. seiko

seiko Member

Deluxe memory man seems to be a regular staple too.

17. aram

aram Member

lately he seems to be using a smaller line six. not the big green one but a smaller one.

18. rollo greb

rollo greb Member

Tell Marc he needs a pedalboard, ASAP!