• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Tommy Doyle Guitars. Value?

arthur rotfeld

Silver Supporting Member
A friend of a friend is looking to sell a Tom Doyle. I think it's a semi hollow double cut from the '80s.

Any ideas on the value of TD guitars? In other words, do they tend to sell for more/less than original price?

Seems hard to find any info on previously sold guitars.

Jon C

Gold Supporting Member
Disclaimer: I've known Tom for nearly 30 yrs. and he's a friend as well as having worked on several of my guits.

I think the market for T.W. Doyle guitars is so small it's hard to know well. They are superb guitars, Tom is one of the best luthiers I've ever seen, a real craftsman and artist.

I have no idea what this one would be worth but I'd love to see some pics from your friend & a description, etc.

Tom may even have a guess on prices if you want to email him. He's primarily teaching luthiery now and not doing repairs any more. I assume he's still building if folks are interested in commissioning instruments but I'm not sure about that. He's also a hell of a player with a Chet Atkins/Les Paul style.

arthur rotfeld

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks, Jon. I've had the pleasure to meet him a couple of times over the years.

He once offered to put a nice flame top on my norlin LP. I should have taken him up on it!

I've played a number of his guitars...all quite distinctive and well made.

arthur rotfeld

Silver Supporting Member
^^Glad to hear that. How do you feel about your fretwork now?
I do all manners of set-up and fixes, but have drawn the line at fretwork.

axe4me

I met Tom many years ago through Jerry Topinka.
He is talented but is very negative towards the talents of other luthiers.
I recall having the same vibe from Phil Petillo.
Tom is an excellent repairman but there are plenty of other talented guitar makers that I prefer to deal with.
Tom's guitars are very good and probably have low resale value.......mostly because, IMO, Tom overprices his guitars.

About 20 years ago, I showed Tom my blonde ES 175 that I was having trouble with the neck. He was very quick to point out that it needed to be re necked with his neck and would take well over a year to be completed. I was interested in an his L 5 equivalent but was turned off by the price. I didn't go for any of Tom's "adjustments" or gear.

Tom is a talented luthier and, IMO, would be better off not thinking he walks on water.

Trending Topics