Tomo is going to either love or hate this.....

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 1kidc, May 6, 2008.

1. 1kidc

1kidc Member

So about 6 months ago I fell in love w/ a 65 Duosonic that I just couldn't afford. And it was pretty beat to boot... So I just lusted in my heart and moved on.

Then last week this showed up on craigslist and I snapped it up within about an hour of the listing!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

She is a pristine 1965 Duosonic II in unbelievable condition. All original - the Neck pickup and pot dates all check out. It had the original strings on it - telephone wires that had bowed the neck pretty severely. But a new set of D'Adario 10's and a tweak on the truss rod and the neck is straight as an arrow!

She came w/ an original Fender strap , polishing cloth, case (w/ keys) that still latches and original tags. It even still SMELLS like 1965! Check out the original price in the booklet. Unreal......

And does it ever play & sound great. That 24" scale fits my hands just right. I've got my blues guitar for life! Should be great for scratching out Meters tunes too. I'll try to get some clips up next week.

Tomo - I know you are into these Duosonics. I'll try to bring it to NAMM next year if you will be there. I know you'd love to give her a play!

2. 1kidc

1kidc Member

No Duosonic Love Whatsoever???

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

3. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

Damn, man, that thing looks pretty clean. I've been thinking about getting one of those for my son....I mean, he's 8 months old but it never hurts to be prepared....

4. swimrunner

swimrunner Member

5. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Sahweeeet!!!!!

I have a '66 Music Master II that's been in the process of being restored for almost 6 years. :(

6. 1kidc

1kidc Member

$1100 for a guitar that cost $160 new. Well, it does come w/ the case...

Still, a good snag - about 1/2 of VG prices. I didn't buy it for collecting purposes - I'm gonna play it. But it is nice to know that it won't be worth less if I have to sell it for a kidney down the line!

7. prsflame

prsflame Member

Nice score. I have a 66 Mustang that I really enjoy playing. Duosonics are fun guitars. Some very cool tones can be found in them. Enjoy it!!

8. stratotonedude

stratotonedude Senior Member

How do you know that it is a girl?

9. Lewkk

Lewkk Member

WOW the condition of that is something else!

With such a great deal you can spend the left over cash on some sperzels a humbucker and a Floyd haha ;p

10. 1kidc

1kidc Member

I don't pick, stroke, finger or caress boy guitars. Not Judgin' - Just the way I roll! YMMV of course....

I thought about naming the Duo after the original owner but had a tough time calling the guitar Mort! May end up calling her Ruby or Dakota.

11. 1kidc

1kidc Member

LOL! Yeah and maybe Feitenize it too!

12. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

You're doing that guitar a grave disservice by not calling it Mort!!!

13. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

great story! These are very cool guitars indeed.... i've wanted one ever since seeing johnny ramone play one (okay.... flame on!).

seriously though, nice pick. Its got rock 'n roll written all over it! glad to hear its going to a player and not a collector.

14. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Member

Very cool.
    :BEER

Oh, and even with a score like this, I don't think Tomo even knows how to display "dislike" let alone "hate." :)

15. 1kidc

1kidc Member

Somehow my guitar displays no resemblence to either of these guys..
    [​IMG][​IMG]

16. 1kidc

1kidc Member

You are most correct sir - Tomo is one of the most positive cats I've ever encountered! Sure hope he gets to see this thread...

17. Stratofuzz

Stratofuzz Supporting Member

Great score-
    I would have bought that guitar, that quick too (or a similar Mustang). You are truly blessed!

18. 1kidc

1kidc Member

I was truly blessed to have $1000 floating around in my paypal account at the time. Otherwise, the wife would have probably killed me!

19. Tomo

Tomo Member

Congrats! I am curious... Why do I hate? I am very happy that you got one with all original. I love those vintage frets, pickups! My favorite is '61 Duo Sonic and '63 Duo Sonic. I am glad that you are alive with this! Recently my wife found out my Duos and Musicmasters.....

Enjoy it!

Tomo

20. 1kidc

1kidc Member

Oh Tomo, probably just a poor choice of words by me. Just thought that you might have hated missing out on buying this beauty. I know you are a big Duosonic fan. You are nothing but a gentleman - all apologies if you were offended.

You would really like this one. There is almost zero fretwear and the back of the neck looks like brand new - but not for long! I plan on giving this guitar a LOT of playtime!

If you go to Namm next January I'll bring it with me. I'd love to hear you play it! BTW/ did you ever send Don Gorder my regards? He and I go back many years together when he lived here in Colorado.

All the Best my friend,
    Dave DeMichelis