Tomorrow Never Knows - first time I post with vocals!

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by SGNick, Jan 8, 2008.

1. SGNick

SGNick Member

I figured the vocals were processed enough that I could think of any excuse to save my a$$!

Some of you may know the original track, well, I guess I based my cover on that, and this video on youtube.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BlK7hrUtVH0

Quite a bit of processing went into this one actually.

I don't want to give it away before you have a chance to listen to it. I will say this though.

On the original, John wanted the vocals to sound like Monks chanting at the top of a mountain range. I tried my best to emulate that feel with what I had at my disposition for the vocals.

Anyhow, I'm rambling. Just let me know what you think, offer suggestions, and ask questions!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=758446&songID=6150723

2. gururyan

gururyan Member

Wow, that's was great! Both videos are great...jolly good, jolly good. :)

3. SGNick

SGNick Member

thanks for listening! Bump??

4. Echoes

Echoes Senior Member

man, I appreciate your clip! for a number of reasons...first it is a cool sounding clip and captures a 'vibe' that is smooth but still keeps the original rhythmic idea...

second, I think it is great that you are sharing a song that isn't a 'shred' piece but an artistic side that is all too much ignored here...I like clips like this!

This place gets a bit stuffy with jazz/fusion clever bebop 'where's my loafers' clips...and sometimes misses/dismisses just simple pleasures of artists creating music that 'moves' them in a 'non-chop' fashion...

I, for one, LOVE music that speaks to my soul, not impresses me with chops and technique but no SOUL...

Rock-on brother! ;)

5. kanderson

kanderson Member

Very nice! Both vids you have on Youtube are outstanding! Keep it up man... let's hear more :)

6. SGNick

SGNick Member

WAIT A SECOND!!!! The youtube video is NOT me!!!! It's just the video I sort of based myself on when I made my track, which is the soundclick link!

7. scottlr

scottlr Member

Wow, I thought the vid was great, how it added chord changes that John only implied but didn't really do, then I listened to YOUR version. It was scary good! The only criticism I could come up with was the backwards solo was perhaps too busy, and too loud in the mix. That was amazing! Thanks for sharing that!

8. SGNick

SGNick Member

YOu aren't the only one who mentioned the busy loud solo Scott, and thanks for listening again!

I just felt like adding something. Part of me wanted to wait a while and do a George Harrison.

record the melody forwards, the way you'd like to hear it on the record.
    flip it backwards to hear it the way you HAVE to play it.
    record it, and flip it back over.

9. scottlr

scottlr Member

I didn't mind where you had it. It just seems like it was too busy form the backing track. I am impressed overall. I think John did it in "C" according to Paul on the Anthology. That other guy did it in "A", right? I wish you were close to here. I'd love to do a project.

10. SGNick

SGNick Member

I also did it in A because of my vocal range.

On the original, John can be heard bashing out a C chord in time with the bass drum!

I'm nowhere near Iowa unfortunately!

11. scottlr

scottlr Member

I have done a few just for fun projects with guys via email :) I think you have a great feel on this song. It is somewhat of a sleeper among the Beatles catalog.