"Tomorrowland" the movie.........Yes or No?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by 2HBStrat, May 26, 2015.

1. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

So I went and saw Tomorrowland yesterday and it wasn't what I expected. And, without giving anything away, it's not really a kids movie, although apparently it has been marketed that way. The threater was full of kids, but I didn't get the impression that they were having a great time. I think the subject matter was over their heads. According to the news this morning ticket sales were less that anticipated, too. It's an odd little movie that has a lot of cool stuff in it, just really different than what I expected.

Anybody else?

2. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

I am not enthusiastic about films based on or named for Disney attractions (see also The Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean).

3. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

I shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, but when I hear "Disney", I almost immediately decide to avoid.

A-Bone likes this.
  4. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

I saw it with the kids (10 and 7), they actually enjoyed it, but they are an easy audience to please when pumped up with Raisinets and popcorn. They liked the shoot 'em up action and liked the little girl with the accent, but the story was over their head for sure. I thought it moved along too slowly and while it was ambitious and had some good action, ultimately found it a bit boring.

5. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Yeah, me too.....I actually nodded off for a bit.......

The marketing of this movie kinda reminds me of the marketing for "John Carter".......wrong!

6. sink

sink Member

My parents saw it last night and rated it a "blah"; but they have notoriously bad taste in movies. I agree with A-bone on movies named after Disney attractions. This is one I'll skip.

7. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

Other than 'Oh Brother....', has Clooney EVER done an accent?

I'll wait for Redbox on this one; I've heard it gets a little preachy at times.

8. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

He doesn't do an accent on this one, either. This movie is a mess, really. Women like Clooney, but he's not really that likeable in this movie, and he looks scruffy, too. Kids (boys) like movies that feature kids, but this movie features two girls (yeah, there is a boy, but he isn't the featured player). I think overall that this movie was a cool concept that lost its way.

9. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

I really liked it - kind of a "Back to the Future" -ish film, albeit more serious / violent in places.

PS - we saw it on day 2 , in the afternoon, the theater was full.

10. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

It had the feel of a movie with a dozen script doctors fingerprints all over it.

11. grapeshot

grapeshot Member

I didn't care for it. The beginning felt tacked on, like the executives watched an early cut and decided that Clooney wasn't in the film enough for what they were paying him. The whole story for me had a lot of issues and I wish Hollywood would wake up and realize that Damon Lindelof can't write (Prometheus anyone?). Yes, agree that it is very preachy in the third act. I didn't know what to expect going in, but I wasn't expecting what was delivered. I don't really blame Brad Bird, because the direction was fine, it was just the Lindelof script was lacking. If I would have known he scripted the film, I would not have seen it in the theater. I was annoyed by the amount of exposition just to get to an action sequence that didn't really add anything (other than cool ways to kill robots). I was disappointed that the movie didn't center on the 'Tomorrowland' that was seen in the 'vision' (or whatever you want to call it). The imagery there was breath taking, and I thought it was very cool. Overall, it was a let down. I can't believe I saw this instead of Mad Max...

12. o0Ampy0o

o0Ampy0o Member

Havn't seen it but this is good news for Clooney, I think maybe at least. When you start playing dad roles in kid's films (perceived or not) it is either that you are a dad who feels like devoting something to dadhood or you are out of better offers. We know Clooney barely turned in his swinging bachelor card. Maybe he went in under the impression it was one thing but the studio execs decided to pitch it as something different after it was finished. I like Clooney in the roles he plays most of the time even when critics and audiences don't. This movie does not interest me at all.

13. JackJordan

JackJordan Member

Saw it and thought it was okay. I thought the third act was weak, and I got a little bored. As someone else mentioned, it was a bit preachy. The "bad buy" didn't seem all that bad to me. I was expecting something creative and fresh, and parts of it were, but not enough of it. I was disappointed that they didn't take better advantage of Tomorrowland, that had so much creative potential, and we barely saw it.

If I could do it over I would see it on the cheap night or wait to rent it.

14. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

Ah, I didnt realize it was Lindelof either. He never met an idea he didn't like.

15. geek-mo

geek-mo Supporting Member

If you want a movie with lots of eye candy and anodyne platitudes that you will forget as soon as you leave the theater, go see it. That's pretty much all that comes out of Hollywood these days.

16. FFTT

FFTT Member

So wait for the DVD rental?

I haven't gone to or rented a movie in like 4 months, so I've got some catching up to do.
    If I go to the theater, I hate what it costs and I can't hear the dialog unless the theater has a killer iMax sound system.

reaiken likes this.