• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Tomo's triad lesson Vol 1

chell

Tomo your videos are awesome! It would be amazing if you eventually got around to making English versions if you have some time.

Love your playing and your philosophy about playing too! If I'm ever in Boston, I'll buy you a drink!

Tomo

Tomo your videos are awesome! It would be amazing if you eventually got around to making English versions if you have some time.

Love your playing and your philosophy about playing too! If I'm ever in Boston, I'll buy you a drink!
Thank you so much! My new book/CD " Playing by ear and feeling " just released in Japan 2/8/10. So I make one video every week. Yes, I hope I have chance to make in English too.

Thanks for your kind words. Come to Boston. You can take my lesson. This summer, I have many lesson requests in Boston.

Tomo

Aj_rocker

today, i messed around with moving the voicing to more like eric johnson. I found some great ones, which are great at out lining the harmony of a tune.

Tomo

today, i messed around with moving the voicing to more like eric johnson. I found some great ones, which are great at out lining the harmony of a tune.
Eric Johnson use a lot of "spread triad' his playing. Very cool! I look forward to everyday.

Tomo

Tomo

I wish I have this book in English. Chapter 5 is everything about triad harmony and application.

It's number one sale in guitar books (amazon japan).

Someone is already selling several used book of this. Price is double. (they know what they are doing!) First run is about gone! 5000 units.

Tomo

Last edited:

Tomo

Tomo do you do Skype lessons?
Thanks for asking. I only teach at Berklee and my correspondence lessons via Japan. I have far waiting list for my tape lesson so far so I don't do skype lessons. I teach private lessons in Boston.

Tomo

patl

I wish I have this book in English. Chapter 5 is everything about triad harmony and application.

It's number one sale in guitar books (amazon japan).

Someone is already selling several used book of this. Price is double. (they know what they are doing!) First run is about gone! 5000 units.

Tomo
Tomo, are there plans to translate and publish the book in English?

Tomo

Tomo, are there plans to translate and publish the book in English?
So far ... My new book's response is so good. I am very happy about that.

I have many things on my table, but I would like to do that. CD part is just like my tape lessons.

Thanks for your interest.

Tomo

Brian Chan

Silver Supporting Member
Hi Brian,

many ways to apply. but let's start with 145 blues and use 123/234 sets.

Can you play only triads over Bb blues, F blues etc.

If you like rock/blues... how about "Hotel California" I demonstrated this application on my Tone Merchant Clinic dvd.

Autumn Leaves lesson! 123 set strings,.. only play C-, F, B, Eb (you can sneak in E right before Eb!), Adim (Rt b3 b5), D, G-, G... etc,

What do you think? Thanks for your great question. I will make this video lesson example soon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVYd2lduua8

Tomo
Hi Tomo

I dont quite understand why you suggested to play C-, F, B, Eb, Adim (Rt b3 b5), D, G-, G in Autumn Leaves.

It seems that the standard contain the below chords
Autumn Leaves

Am7: A C D G
D7: D F# A C
Gmaj7: G B D F#
Cmaj7: C E G B
F#m7b5: F# A C E
B7: B D# F# A
Em7: E G B D

Grateful if you can advise me on this...

Brian Chan

Silver Supporting Member
Guys...

Just a thought...Shall we contribute our triad based licks (tab, sound clips, video..etc) on this thread?? I think Tomo has contributed a lot and we can contribute ours to keep it rolling. =)

I like the way the philosophy behind Tomo's teaching..keep it simple and enjoy the music...I understand more on chords and guitar fingerboard while studying Triad..

Thanks for your effort Tomo!!

Brian

Tomo

Hi Tomo

I dont quite understand why you suggested to play C-, F, B, Eb, Adim (Rt b3 b5), D, G-, G in Autumn Leaves.

It seems that the standard contain the below chords
Autumn Leaves

Am7: A C D G
D7: D F# A C
Gmaj7: G B D F#
Cmaj7: C E G B
F#m7b5: F# A C E
B7: B D# F# A
Em7: E G B D

Grateful if you can advise me on this...
Brian,

Great question!

You only use each triad from each chord so

Major 7 :Rt M3 5 M7 =Use Major triad
Dom 7 : Rt M3 5 b7 =Use Major triad
Minor 7 :Rt b3 5 b7 =Use minor triad
Min7b5 :Rt b3 b5 b7 =Use Dim triad

So just look at those notes. You only use triads! Think each degrees instead of shapes. Triangle is 5th Root M3!

Go back and practice all C- triads in all possible inversions... then next.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Tomo

Brian Chan

Silver Supporting Member
Brian,

Great question!

You only use each triad from each chord so

Major 7 :Rt M3 5 M7 =Use Major triad
Dom 7 : Rt M3 5 b7 =Use Major triad
Minor 7 :Rt b3 5 b7 =Use minor triad
Min7b5 :Rt b3 b5 b7 =Use Dim triad

So just look at those notes. You only use triads! Think each degrees instead of shapes. Triangle is 5th Root M3!

Go back and practice all C- triads in all possible inversions... then next.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Tomo
Thanks Tomo

So what if I use your suggested triad over Autumn Leaves chord changes?

C-, F, B, Eb, Adim (Rt b3 b5), D, G-, G

Tomo

Thanks Tomo

So what if I use your suggested triad over Autumn Leaves chord changes?

C-, F, B, Eb, Adim (Rt b3 b5), D, G-, G
You're welcome. Basically you can apply this to any jazz standards. Pat Metheny once told me that he used to push "triads" to his students. Another word, he made his students to play only triads over standards. That it!

Make sure you understand each intervals etc. You can learn as shapes first but don't visualize too much. Try to hear each color of notes.

Tomo

Brian Chan

Silver Supporting Member
Hi Tomo

Very nice demonstration!!!!!!!!! Thank you for making this video.

May I ask what guitar were you using in the video?

Brian

Trending Topics