Tomo's Twinkle

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by jdiesel77, Jun 25, 2006.

1. jdiesel77

jdiesel77 Member

Hi. I think I saw a thread about this a while ago but can't find it. Im not sure whats going on in tomo's twinkle video. I guess he is just playing a bunch of chords, but what are the teachings behind this? Is he playing triads along with the melody? Im just confused. Im trying to figure it out and i am having difficulty with most chords. Thanks!

2. jdiesel77

jdiesel77 Member

ok so the notes of twinkle are CC GG AA G FF EE DD C. So you're saying he's playing chords with those notes, plus triads that harmonize with those notes within the key of C. but how do we know which triads can be played? I understand CDEFGABC make up the C Maj scale and if i am correct the song is in the key of C. But what chords is he playing, and how do u know which chords to play? Basically antything in the key of C, containing the melodies, and, as u call them, "upper chords?"

3. jdiesel77

jdiesel77 Member

well ultimately my goal is both!

But maybe i'm just confused on what the chords of the song were. I thought C G Am G, like just the notes in chord form. Maybe thats my prob. This may be a stupid question, but how do we know what the real chords are? I know you said C F G Am, but when i play that it just doesnt sound right to me. Forgive my stupidity

4. jdiesel77

jdiesel77 Member

thx tele. Ill check this out when i get home to my guitar!!!!!!!!!

5. Tone

Tone Member

6. jdiesel77

jdiesel77 Member

thx tone...although i am a bit confused when he describes how to play the jimi part with the 9ths. 6thd etc...i know what a ninth and 6th are, just sounds confusing , esp since i do not have my guitar in front of me.

Tele, for some reason it still doesnt sound right to me. I think i am getting the voicings wrong

7. Tone

Tone Member

jdiesel77,
    How are you coming along with this? I still can't get that damn jimi style down! :D

8. jdiesel77

jdiesel77 Member

i can sort of play it....i havent been working on it much...im not really grasping how the triads are used here. i feel like they are more than triads and the reason i can sort of play it is by looking at the video and trying to figure the fingerings instead of really understanding what is going on

9. jdiesel77

jdiesel77 Member

its been a while but just revisiting this concept. i understand now...however, i guess i just dont understand substituting chords or related chords... like C6 = Am...i dont know that...is there a trick to learning or do i just figure the notes in an Am then realize they are the same notes as C6? Also, is what tomo doin g known as "chord soloing?"

10. Tomo

Tomo Member

I think you are thinking too much? I just followed the melody and my jazz taste. Just like ... cooking. I already new "taste" of jazz ... I don't think too much. I just played C6... because it sounds right for me to start... and I wanted to here the G so I can go down to F... E... Feel the motion... up or down.. or steady common notes?

Tomo

11. jdiesel77

jdiesel77 Member

I guess i don't have a great ear for jazz yet. I was basically taking the single notes in "Twinkle" and making those notes the "bottom" notes of a chord that contains those notes...if u are following me..i know what im saying is confusing. My example is, the 1st note is a C, so i was playing a C6 on the 1st fret, where my C note is on the bottom of the chord. Next note is a G, so i was playing an F9 on the 1st fret, where G is my bottom note. Does this make sense?

12. Tomo

Tomo Member

Don't figure out too much by thinking. Do copy what you hear. If you can't ... go back, step back from there... do something else? If I teach you this, I will provide something what you are missing... not what you want. You know?

You mean "Top note" Melody on 1st string right?

Tomo

13. jdiesel77

jdiesel77 Member

yes melody on 1st string ( or second string)