1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tonal & volume differences between SJT10/20 and JRT9/15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Grant Ferstat, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Hi Everyone.

I'm currently using an AC30 and I want to move towards a smaller wattage head/box combination for live and recording.

The sorts of things I've been considering from far away are 65 Amps and Divided by 13.

Looking at the smaller of the %13 amps can anyone fill me in on the key differences between the SJT10/20 and JRT9/15 in terms of tone and volume.

I'm leaning towards the EL84/6V6 equiped JRT15 but I'm interested to hear comments.

2. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

10/20 is more of a fendery clean with voxish compression and break up (with the mid boost engaged). a good amount of headroom. the breakup volume perfect for your kind of music. (i play the same type of stuff)

the 9/15 is on the brighter side. the cleans are very sparkly but they don't last long, the amp breaks up pretty early. this amp is voiced to bright for my tele IMO.

the 10/20 is a little bit softer than my ftr37 in half power, which was as loud than my buddies AC30cc with the master cranked and the top boost at about noon.

don't think that these are going to be quiet amps. the ftr37 was the loudest freaking 18watts i have ever heard in my life.

honestly, i think if you get one of these amps, you're going to get rid of a lot of your pedals. especially the low gain ones. the breakup on either of these amps is amazing. i'm searching for the right pedal right now, simply to take my amp over the edge for the more rockin tunes (think ryan adams - rockn'roll). I think the klon is my answer. i played it on my friends ac30 today, and that amp has never sounded so freaking ballsy. awsome.

i get my 10/20 on thursday, and i'm sure you'll hear all about it and the way it interacts with my new pedals.

3. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

I strongly suggest you give a listen to a Heritage Briton II, also. Very versatile, has a very good MV, and just wants to sound good. Not a trace of harshness.... i think i'd rather have this than an old Vox (i've had a few). I've owned a /13 SJT 10/20 and a 65 London also. Very nice amps. I thought i'd settled on a TW Rocket clone as my go to EL 84 amp, but this Briton II is knocking me out!

4. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for the analysis.
    Are there any relevant sound clips around?

BTW, I have a Klon on the way too. I would like to reply less on pedals for the low gain sounds if I could though.

5. themusicboxstudios

www.dividedby13.com/clips

listen to the ftr37 and you'll get a very good idea of the 10/20. the 10/20 has less headroom (but still a perfect amount for us alt country peeps). the 10/20 also feels a bit looser and a tiny bit more compressed, probably because you're working the amp harder.

and the 9/15 clips are there to. i think all the ftr37 clips were done with a les paul. not sure about the 9/15 ones.

and i'll let you know what i think of the klon on my amp.

i've tried the EGDM, SBEQ, Tim, Timmy, Hotcake, OCD, Zendrive 2 and many others, so i'll have a good basis to compare it to.

btw, the 10/20 with the midboost out is where it's at for our kind of music. the perfect amount of jangle and chime with an amazing bottom end.

6. Grant Ferstat

I really love Paul Cochrane's work which did make me think about the Briton II also but from his own description it has slightly more headroom than an AC30 not less.I'm looking for a more natural earlier non-master style break-up.I'm sure it's an awesome amp though.

7. Grant Ferstat

Thanks curehardy,

Anyone else know of any clips or recorded examples of the 10/20 & 9/15 used in an americana/roots/alt-country style?
    I guess I'll be lucky.

8. Grant Ferstat

Oh, one other thing-pricing on the %13 amps?

I can be a bit blind but I didn't see anything on the website.

9. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

I agree with curehardy for the most part about these amps (Hey Jon!)

I have owned both amps. The 9/15 was way too bright for my tastes and the 6v6 side of the 9/15 didnt have that warmth that I wanted from it. It was like having a really biting Fender sound (except not) with more midrange. To be honest, I didnt really dig it. The el84 side with very chimey but voiced way too bright for me. I was constantly riding the cut knob. This is just in my tastes of course.

The 10/20 I found as curehardy said to be a killer Fender clean sound with a little more midrange present in the mix. I LOVE this amp. Thats why I want another one. The 10/20 is great for the plug in and play type amp as well. The overdrive of the high gain channel (input morelike) is in Marshall territory with a little chime to it. I love this amp for its tone. I think the amp sounds best on the 20W setting. Sounds more open, and not as scooped mids. The 10W setting sounds like a badass Dlx Rev. Perfect for my needs. Cant wait to have one again.

10. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

I have the JRT 9/15 and I love it!
    I don't hear any unwanted brightness but then again I primarily play humbucker and P-90 equipped guitars.It's not brighter than my DC30 on the EL84 side or the various Deluxe style amps I've had on the 6V6 one.
    My guitar/pickups/cord/pedal line is pretty smooth to begin with and I run some NOS goodies in it too,so that might account for the perfect(for me)results I'm getting.
    O.K,I'll admit it:It's my go to amp!There!
    I don't turn the amp way up high.I don't believe that's where its heart lies.It's the interplay of the mixing of the two channels that does it for me and the perfect break-up.
    With a loud band,it might b on the verge of running out of steam,if you're the type of player that works with the volume control(I know I am...),but I can live with that.
    Someday down the road I'd like to get an SJT 10/20 too but what I really fantasize about is this:
    A two channel amp with channel one being a 12AX7 based one(like the RSA31) and channel two a blendable twin 5879 one,like the JRT.Powerampwise,it'd have both 6V6's and EL84's but it would have the ability to also run them both at the same time as well as separately.
    Well,dreams are free anyway...
    I hope you make yours come true.

Ted

11. themusicboxstudios

i got my 10/20 today! and my klon sounds freaking awsome on it.

i might be tracking some stuff this weekend.

i'll post if we do.

peace, jon

12. Grant Ferstat

Thanks Jon that'd be awesome.