Tonally- What are those mid 70s MKII Marshall Superleads Like

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dewman, Aug 9, 2008.

1. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

Are they very very aggressive? I found a 1976 MKII 100W superlead and the guy sounds like he could deal. I dont want it, I was just curious as I heard these amps are more agressive but wasn't sure relative to say a JCM800..

2. Purplexi

Purplexi Member

Not really in JCM800 territory as far as aggression is concerned. Definitiley classic rock/hard rock gain on tap but you'd need a mod or easier yet, a two stage OD pedal for metal. Fantastic amps with great cleans too, wish I had one!

3. gldtp99

gldtp99 Member

Big, loud, great sounding amps--- one guy brought me a '76 100 watter that he bought at GC and it promptly died---- he wanted it converted to EL34's and serviced up.
    When he got it back, working properly, he complained that it was "way too loud"---- he won't use pedals and by the time this amp was crunching up the way he wanted, it was extremely loud. These amps will do an agressive Classic Rock distortion but they're blasting loud by this point----the MV JCM800 circuit breaks up much earlier and is a different animal.
    I liked it for the beautiful clean tone and i used pedals for dirt to test it out.
    He came back later and bought another 4x12 (w/WGS Vet 30's) because he'd blown the Greenbacks in his 4x12.......................gldtp99

4. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

My '75 JMP is very aggressive(i.e. no pedals required to get in the Strangers in the Night, Still Got the Blues, etc... range). It does have 2 mods, but neither are gain mods(PPIMV, and internal bridging). I can play it in pretty much any venue without an attenuator or OD pedal.

5. dewman

I ask because I found an original with matching top and bottom cabs from the original owner. The cabs have a few original speakers and a few non original. I was hoping to get a cab with original speakers, but its a no go for me. The guy is the original owner and clearly would part with these for under market value. I thought about the head, but I think I'd rather have a Headroom 100 w/ superbass specs than to tie up cash (that I really don't have) into a 75 or 76 100W superlead. It hasnt been fired up in 12 years, but looks great. If anyone wants it, PM me and I can let you deal with the guy.

6. mxr2000

mxr2000 Member

you score a 2203 jmp or a 1959 jmp?

7. dewman

its a JMP MkII 4 input model

8. mxr2000

mxr2000 Member

cool a non master they are a hell a lot better than a master volume and and sound different more open and less compress ..

9. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Not better, but different.

I owned a 77' JMP MKII 50 watter and a JCM 800 at the same time. They are totally different amps for sure.

I'd agree with the comments already made. Killer amp but by the time you have any real magic happening it's loud enough to move walls. I tried attenuators and dirt boxes but opted for the JCM 800. But if huge cleans with some grit on top is the goal, pretty hard to beat.

10. mxr2000

mxr2000 Member

i did too but sold some years back" regret that now" now own a 1980 master volume 2203 like it a lot but don't love it..

11. dewman

I didnt buy it, I just saw it while on a trip this weekend and the guy seemed to be willing to deal on it, so someone might get it for a decent price.

12. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

13. Vaachek

Vaachek Member

best clean headroom available, pedals are a must!! I have a '79 100w mdl