1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Tone Bender question...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TB72, May 18, 2011.

1. TB72

TB72 Member

I've been searching old threads for an answer to this question, but it's getting confusing and frustrating...mainly due to the great number of pedals that bear the "Tone Bender" name.

My question is regarding the early seventies 3-knob model from Sola Sound...like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N9CXOUnNrk

I don't know how this one is categorized (mkii, mark IV, Mark McGuire, Marky Mark, etc.) I just know I like the way it sounds.

Does anyone make a clone of this circuit, and does it come in a smaller enclosure than the original? (Pedalboard space is at a premium, ya know?)

Thanks.

Later...

2. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

That is most likely the MKIII fuzz, I would try the MJM 3 knob Bender. It has a full warm sound, maybe not quite as ripping. The current Sola 3 knob sounds very ripping but not as warm. The EQD Tone Reaper comes close as well, but it is a hybrid transistor bender, not quite as warm either. For something just as cool or maybe cooler, the Skinpimp MKIII should cover those tones and more.

3. JP~)

JP~) Member

4. 66Park

66Park Member

Skinpimp makes a fantastic MKIII.
    [​IMG]

5. 66Park

66Park Member

6. kelvinator60

kelvinator60 Member

I believe that one is a MKIV.

7. goodhonk

goodhonk Member

8. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

This is/was a MKIII. Most likely a Rotosound branded MKIII and featured on "My Girl, She Got Long Black Wavy Hair". Not quite the same pedal as in the youtube video from the 1st post, which is a MKIV/MKV circuit.

9. TB72

TB72 Member

What's up with all the different manufacturers? No one trademarked the "Tonebender" name? So far I've counted Vox, Colorsound, Park Sola Sound, Rotosound (did I miss any?)

Is there a chart somewhere with a timeline of the different circuits, and who made them?

10. Cado

Cado Member

They were all made by Sola Sound, even the early Vox's (they were MKII's) Later 2 tranny Vox's were made in Italy and kept the Tone Bender name. You missed all the variants, but that's another thread.

11. TB72

TB72 Member

That's what I was afraid of.:bonk

Thanks Cado.

12. Space Hammer

Space Hammer Member

The Vox Tonebender is not a MKII - it only has 2 Transistors (even MkI's have 3 transistors) info on Vox tonebender info on MKII

13. SonicVI

SonicVI Member

There were Vox branded MK2s, which is what I think he was referring to.

14. TB72

TB72 Member

Thanks for all the replies.

So far, I'm leaning towards an Earthquaker Devices Tone Reaper.

Later...

15. Cado

Cado Member

Here's an excellent place to start considering variants. I've played through 4 variants extensively and though all are great, none are perfect. It's best to determine what you're after first and consider your guitars and amps too. These fuzzes react differently with different rigs.
    http://www.stompboxes.co.uk/History.html