Tone Bone Classic

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ed Reed, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

do you use one? How do you set it? What amp? Guitar? ??

2. Bob Sweet

Bob Sweet Member

Hey Ed I've used one for years. It's my favorite or at least one of my favorite OD's.
    I don't use it for hi gain settings, but for lo and mid gain. When i want a higher gain I kick on my booster in front of the TB.
    I had been using it with Blackface Fenders and Strat's but I would think it would equally good with my Les Paul and JMP.
    My only complaint (if you want to call it that) is that it's not really true bypass, and I would like a little better bass control and less mids. Don't get me wrong they are ALL very managable, but with those changes/additions it would be the ultimate, for me at least.

3. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I agree with Bob - especially on the mids and bass comments.

One other thing, the footswitch craps out for many players. There are plenty of posts on this topic if you search. This issue sidelined my TB a couple of years ago, I got a high-quality switch to hardwire in and I've yet to get around to it. A search on my handle and Tonebone will probably get you all the info you'd need on this subject. In fact, this is such a chronic problem, that if I was buying a TB, I'd probably hardwire a switch in there right from the start - if I had the time =)

4. waveman

waveman Member

If you email the rep for your area, they will fix the switch, or send the switch to you to fix it. I got a new one for mine and it has been holding up just fine. Great pedals.

5. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thanks Wave. I know about Radial's fine support and I've gotten more than one switch from them over time. The problem is - their switch!

It was explained in an old post that the switch used by Radial is for a higher current application, and that it's actually not going "bad", it just gets "not as good" at conducting the small amount of current in the TB application.

The fix: get a Carling switch and hard-wire it. Otherwise, like me, you will have a seemingly never-ending need for new switches in your TB. Or, maybe you'll be one of the lucky few who are just not affected by this problem.

Hope that helps!

BTW: I fully expect that I will rediscover my TB at some point in the future and come to the realization that it smokes every boutique pedal I've obsessed about. No kidding...

6. waveman

waveman Member

I agree :) I can make it match or best any of them I have or have had, the only reason it's not on my board right now is that I have been trying out every pedal that interests me, and I was trying to achieve my sound with anything that would use a Boss 9v power supply. I am getting ready to move away from that mindset and go back to using just my overall favorites, and build a board that will support that, but they are all big pedals :) at least as far as dirt pedals are concerned.

7. hudpucker

hudpucker Supporting Member

I had a TB Classic and a Trimode.

Neither one could hold a candle to my Chandler BK Butler Tube Drivers though. They were, to my ears, less dynamic than the TDs. Fizzier, too.

YMMV.

8. Bob Sweet

Bob Sweet Member

Hey Billy...keep in mind that the TB started out life as a boutique pedal :)

9. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Bob - I stand corrected!

10. Bob Sweet

Bob Sweet Member

Not trying to correct, just didn't know if you knew that or not. Some guy up in Canada was building them by hand for a while and then they bought him out.

11. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Yup - I recall.

BTW: your post sparked an email from me to Radial today, and their customer service is very good. They are sending me a new version of their switch. I'll need to decide if I'll use it, or just go with hard wiring the Carling I bought. My problem is that when I get "guitar time", I really want to play, not futz around. This is what sidelined my TB a couple of years ago.

12. mrboy

mrboy Member

I tried both Classic and Hot British and at least HB was quite noisy. I can't remember if Classic had the same problem because it was so long time ago. The noise wasn't hiss but more like hum you would get from a ground loop. What are your experiences regarding noise and Tonebone pedals?

13. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

The Tonebone Classis is an amazing pedal. Sounds great, is quite versitile. Two niggles with it though:

One, it' would be great to be able to attinuate mids a bit (if needed) but on the flat mids setting it's pretty flat, which is great. But sometimes you want to pull a little out...

Two, there may need to be a boost insert on the output. Cause its slightly under unity at low to mid level gain settings. (This is specifically with my TopHat amps though, that need a bit more volume than many other amps)

PS. I guess three, my switch is having problems too...:horse

14. alivegy

alivegy Member

I demoed a couple of tonebones pedals and thought they were a bit too buzzy and digital sounding. They were both about the least tube like pedal I had played. The did have a lot of options for how you could shape the sound and I had high hopes, but even with all those options I just couldn't get a tone out of the pedal that sounded natural to me.

15. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I've used one for a few years I think its a great sounding pedal with a smooth and somewha tight sounding OD, I used it mostly with a PRS McCarty and Les Paul and occasionally a strat. The Tonebone sounded best to me when using a 59 Bassman RI.
    One thing that is really Important with the Tonebone is you need to use it with a clean sounding amp if your amp has very low headroom or has a bit of grit on your clean sound it will not sound to good!

16. Goku13

Goku13 Member

Tonebone pedals are awesome! I like the hot british the best....dunno what you guys have been doing with it, but mine is completely noiseless with the gain on 1/2 way up. Maybe you were plugging into an ungrounded outlet or something? Who knows. I had a Classic, but sold it cause I was never going to use it as long as I had the HB! Both pedals are very warm and smooth with plenty of EQ tweaking options. They feel very nice to play and respond well to palm muting and dynamics. I use the HB into a Fender Twin Reverb and really couldn't be happier with the sound.

As others have said, the downside is the freakin footswitch!!! I have gone through so many of the damn things, it is ridiculous. I momentarily gave up and bought a Crunchbox, but it didn't have enough low end for me, and/or there wasn't enough EQ control (need to scoop the mids a bit), so back to the Tonebone I went. I got my first HB when Denis Rosen in Canada was making them all by himself!

I think the Classic and Hot British are the best hi-gain tube distortion units I have had the pleasure of using (the original Hughes and Kettner Tubeman is up there too though).

17. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Thanks for all the input!

18. Bob Sweet

Bob Sweet Member

I don't know, maybe I've been lucky. I haven't had ANY problems with noise OR the switch. Knock on wood! :)

19. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    I have one of the hand built originals and one of the Radial Engineering versions, no difference in tone, but the tube does make a big difference, so by installing a great tube, it will enhance it's tone.

TheGrooveking

20. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I have the originals before Radial, but have never had any problems either. I think noisewise, some people might be running their hi-gain distortion into a hi-gain amp? ? Anyway , run into a lower gain amp they're very quiet and sound just great

Eric