Tone cap placement

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Mutley, May 16, 2015.

1. Mutley

Mutley Supporting Member

I'm adding a tone cap or caps to a two P90 guitar with 2 volumes and one tone. Would I run the cap from each ground lug of the volume pots to the center lug of the only tone pot? Would there be any bleed or crossover or is there a better way to do it? Thanks

2. kidmo

kidmo Member

3. Mutley

Mutley Supporting Member

Yes, I see the treble bleed, but if that were a Tele with 2 volumes & one tone where would the .047uF cap(s) go in that diagram?

4. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

Are you using a selector switch? If not, just wire it up as the Jazz bass wiring above. The only cap in place is for the master tone-for low pass/treble cut.
    Treble bleed is attached to the volume pots.
    If using a switch, this will work.
    [​IMG]

5. Mutley

Mutley Supporting Member

Yes, I have a toggle (3-way). Thanks for helping the terminally (or almost) stoopid. This has frozen me for days. I can get rolling on this again.

6. NoahL

NoahL Member

On the Jazz wiring, does it matter if the wires on the two volume pots are reversed so that hot from the pickups hits the outer lug first and the tone pot connects with the middle lugs?

7. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

Yes, very much!

You don't wanna do JB style unless there's no switch, because there are tonal and pot sweep drawbacks.

If you have a switch, just look for a Gibson explorer or Flying V diagram and do it that way.
    [​IMG]

8. Mutley

Mutley Supporting Member

Ahhhh, all the times I've seen V's and Explorers and never realized they had two volumes and master tone. Good grief. Thanks, gents.

9. NoahL

NoahL Member

Walter, what are the tonal and sweep drawbacks? I have a Tele that's back-loaded (no pickguard) and I've put in a second pickup. I was going to do a volume pot for one pickup and a stacked pot for the other so I could have volume for the other pickup and a master tone. Like a JB but with two pots instead of three. I liked the idea of being able to blend in a bit of one pickup to most or some of the other. This seemed more interesting than using one pot hole for a basic switch or even a pan pot, which always takes away from one pickup when it adds to another. Bad idea?

And electronically on a J Bass, what's the problem with running the pickup input leads to the outer lugs and having the shared output run through the middle leads to the jack?

10. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

More loss of highs as you turn down, and when you do hit "0" there's residual noise instead of silence.
    Without a switch, there's no way to solo one pickup.